THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First stroll for the year...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First stroll for the year...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In addition to the mosquitoes and spear grass seeds, I found this fellow:

Merkel .500NE and Woodleigh solids.

Good luck in your double rifle endeavours for the year ahead, you mob!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on you!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fun things to do on a stroll. Good work

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Hey Ben I received your email. What a great way to start out the year! Good to see that you are staying busy with the .500 140AE. Busting those buffalo with 570 Grains of solid (Woodleigh) excitement to be sure. Great picture and thanks for sharing.

Best always,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you use softs on the mosquitoes??

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ben. Looking great! No shorts?

How do the softpoints go?

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, softs for mozzies! Trousers to try to keep the bastards from eating me! And because of snakes and these fiery little caterpillars that sting when you brush past them. When it dries-out later on, it'll be back to the infamous short shorts! Smiler

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, the softs work fine for the first shot, front-on or side-on. But for the last year or more I've mostly been using solids. They're just perfect in every situation (on buffalo, I dislike them on pigs as they don't do enough damage quickly enough, silly as that sounds). But solids wreck a buffalo pretty quickly.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Do you eat the meat friend? How is it?
What do you do with the horns?
Congratulations on the great shooting!!!
wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, we eat lots of buffalo meat. It's nice. We also feed our little wild / stray / homeless dog that we're trying to adopt with it - the poor dog has had a really hard, abused life, so is pretty shy about humans, and just lives in the bush behind our house. Anyway, buffalo meat from older, bigger bulls is tough if you want to barbecue it, but I usually make stews and curries and chilli and roasts in the slow cooker. It doesn't have much fat. I prefer it to cattle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless the horns are really spectacular, I either leave them or give them away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Ben! Always fun to see what adventures you've been up to.

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations sir!! I envy you guys in Australia a bit for having such good shooting on big game. It has to be great fun.

Reference the horns, are they of any use for making things like a powder horn, knife scales, Schnabel forend tips and the like?

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you shooting your mossy's...
Last spring I had a New Hampshire Mossy charge my wife and I, I casually stepped in front of her and let the shot develop, my first shot bounced off his proboscis which caused it veered slightly to the right I side stepped to give me a better angle and was able to place a round in the spine at the base of the neck it crumpled at my wife's feet.
Perhaps Robinson can add the mosquito to his next addition to the Perfect Shot..

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Where are you shooting your mossy's...
Last spring I had a New Hampshire Mossy charge my wife and I, I casually stepped in front of her and let the shot develop, my first shot bounced off his proboscis which caused it veered slightly to the right I side stepped to give me a better angle and was able to place a round in the spine at the base of the neck it crumpled at my wife's feet.
Perhaps Robinson can add the mosquito to his next addition to the Perfect Shot..

Plucky little mozzie! Not to be taken lightly. yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
Congratulations sir!! I envy you guys in Australia a bit for having such good shooting on big game. It has to be great fun.

Reference the horns, are they of any use for making things like a powder horn, knife scales, Schnabel forend tips and the like?

Some talented people do indeed make knife handles and stock fore-end tips out of the horn.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would think lots of things could be made from
the horns. Belt buckles, Chess pieces, jewelry and
so on.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote