Notify
Tools

RMR on a 500?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
Hey All,

I have a Searcy Classic 500 that I use as my primary DG gun. It is currently an irons only rifle. I wasn't really happy with my shooting last hunt (shooting a bit high when under stress) and considering going to a more modern sighting method.

Reached out to Butch and he suggested the RMR06 with RM57 base.

Does anyone have experience with this (or similar) setup on a rifle? If so would love to hear your thoughts.

Regards.

Josh

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Searcy 470 with the talley mount option. I recently ordered the RMR06, but instead of the Trijicon base, an AR forum member (h2oboy) is fabricating a QD base for it. I'm pretty sure he intends to make a few, so shoot him a pm.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
mjines is on an elephant hunt right now. I believe he has two 500's with him. One with a Dr. and on with an RMR. Im sure he will post his thoughts on each one when he returns.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Look at the post of November 10,2012 regarding Talley Bases Question/Searcy Rifles, ( dealing with RMR mounts and RMRs) and you'll have your questions all answered. tu2 I even posted pics for you, along with live testimonial. Butch's recommendation comes from my experience with the RMR on my Searcy 450-400. Big Grin By the way, Ivan Carter has an RMR on his Heym 600 NE, if durability on your 500 is a question. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
We just had red-dots mounted on two 500NE double guns. One wears a new RMR and the other a year old Burris FastFire III (DoctorOptic). Because the Trijicon has a recoil lug, it required a three slot Weaver base, which our gunsmith fabricated, whereas the Burris was put on a Burris rear base designed for the Marlin lever guns - it's a flat bottomed Picatinny base. We did not have the rail cut, simply drilled and tapped for the bases. Finding an appropriate base was the biggest headache and many were purchased and then returned, in a trial & error exercise. BTW, we found the Trijicon base too high.

We chose to mount the devices 2" in front of the breech - approximately 4.5" behind the rear iron sight blade. This works best for us whereas some have the base installed closer to the rear sight blade. There are pros & cons to both positions and you should see which position works best for your eyes.

We have 20 plus rounds through each now and are awaiting more ammo. Both were easy to zero and are very accurate. I find red-dots to help with my eyesight and they have always been very fast in my 30 years of experience with them.

Good luck and I think you will be pleased with your decision to instal a red-dot on your DR.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog563: If you have the quarter rib with the Talley base installed on or being installed on your Searcy 500 NE, then all you have to do is buy the base and the RMR and mount the RMR to the base and slip it on the rifle and tighten it. Perfect set up! tu2 And, the only way to go with a double rifle for those of us that are older and our eyesight not perfect anymore! Big Grin Butch's quarter rib Talley mounting system works perfectly for the RMR or a scope, and if you want to shoot iron sights then remove either the scope or the RMR from the base and you're all set. Three different methods of aiming all in one neat and clean package! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having Butch install the grooves on both of My doubles for the Trijicon mount for the RMR. I think, with my old eyes, it will make a difference. He swears it does.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I swear that it does too! tu2

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Going to get it done.

Has anyone built in a metal cover/cage to protect the sight? Thinking two rabbit ears (one on each side of the rmr) to protect it being jostled in the field. Same concept as a front sight cover. Worthwhile or should I just bring a spare? Does anyone make this type of base? Assuming it would be custom.

If custom, any suggestions on who can do the work? Quick detach isn't necessary but needs to come off with a screwdriver.

Also on the rmr sight/mount combo, can you look through it and see the irons? Thinking about the case where the sight goes bad for some reason. Could you still use the sights without removing it?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a couple of pictures show the modification on rifles that don't have the Talley system on them. Very clean and much lower profile. What you are seeing is only the RM57 base. The rear sight is used as a recoil bumper. With a coin or screwdriver you can remove the RMR and use the fixed sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog563: The RMR will come off (base and sight) with a simple untwist of the screw and sliding it off. That would take less than 5 seconds to do, if you are worried about it going bad and using the iron sights. I put mine on hand tight and I have never had it come loose from recoil. You could tighten it with a coin and then untighten it the same way, but I haven't found that necessary. I don't see any need for additional protection of the sight-they are made from aircraft grade aluminum and a fairly sturdy. My concern would be covering it from dust and dirt when not in use. I believe someone has made a cover for them-I just need to recall who informed me of that. I would suppose that a small neoprene cover could be made for the RMR yourself. If you are afraid of damaging the RMR and want to carry a spare, be advised of the price-they aren't cheap! Big Grin In any event, Butch has all of the bases covered with his double rifles and the RMR set up. tu2 Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
SCOPECOAT makes a cover that fits the RMR/Dr.Optic/FastFire red-dots; we just bought two and they fit fine, like all Scopecoat products. Stretch neoprene laminated nylon.

www.scopecoat.com

Tel: 602-957-0497

Also, if you find you need to raise the comb to allow you to see the higher mounted red-dot while maintaining a proper cheek weld, and most people will, take a look at the BEARTOOTH Comb Raising Kit. It is a different application using a neoprene butt sleeve and includes 5 different sized EVA foam pads that can be used single or in combination to find the correct height. It will also protect your buttstock wood from the dings and scratches that commonly result on safari.

DR INSTALLATION HINT: Remove your barrels and slide the sleeve onto the butt over the receiver.

www.beartoothproducts.com

Tel: 888-875-2327

Both these companies are hunter oriented, friendly and helpful. I have nothing beyond a customer relationship with them and have been very satisfied with their products and service.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike! tu2 I'll be ordering two of the neoprenes for my RMRs. Big Grin