THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    recommendations for hard breakdown case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recommendations for hard breakdown case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Looking to stay under $175 if possible. Something to store doubles in

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Store or travel.

Out of your price range, but the ultimate double rifle case for me.
Americase fitted double rifle

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Store or travel.

Both - my Merk came without a case so looking primarily to store but also possibility of traveling with. I do have a Cape buffalo case I use for travel if need be.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Pelican or Boyt

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The aluminum break down caes with the rod running thru the latches works get for travel if you are only carring a double. I like Tuff pak if I'm taking a bolt gun too. Tuff pak makes a break down case also.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The Kalispel cases were/are the best there is for travel. This company is making the closest current version to the Kalispel.

http://www.guncases.us/kalispe...tgun-case-381204.htm

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mike! I have a Kalispe gun case that I have used for about 15 years, that has been to Africa, Alaska, Canada and several states on commercial flights and several bush planes many times. It is still only scratched up a little, but I have never found any damage done to one of my rifles transported in it. Mine is one of the early ones with two bars and allows it to be locked on both ends. I use small boat hitch locks, one on each end.

The two bars are a good idea because if the ears the lock goes through on one end the bar from the other end can be used as a pry bar to free the bar from the bent ears on the other end.

Today though I use a take down Tuff-Pak for a pair of double rifles in soft take down slips along with all my hunting gear, and ammo lock box sold by Tuff-Pak. It has an extendable handle, and has wheels making it a snap to drag around the airports. This and a small shoulder strapped ruck-sack as a carry on is all the luggage I use for air travel.

.................................................................There are many options to choose from, and I have about 10 or 12 different cases but those two have been the best in my experience!
...................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Although the Tuff Pak and Kalispel both are nice - beyond what I have to spend at this time by quite a bit. I actually just bought a few minutes ago an older Pelican 1700 with solid foam that was NIB for $135 shipped. Hoping this will do a decent job.
Thank you all for recommendations though.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE