Find
Notify
Tools

flanged .30 cal double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted
I read somewhere (and I can't find it again for the life of me!) where somebody suggested a flanged round for a .30-06 double.

I love my .30-06 but hate the crappy ejectors. Can anybody think of a way to make a flanged round that I could easily convert my double to shoot??

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered rechambering to 30R Blaser or 300 H&H Flanged? Both are rimmed cartridges in .30 caliber...

Herrdoktor

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That 300H&H sounds like the ticket. A 06 improved. Big Grin

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Use 9.3X74R brass to make rimmed 30-06. All you need to do is cut a rim recess for the rim.
If you want a belted case use 240 H&H to make belted 30-06.
Cheers,
Laurie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

Mike

I'd check the ballistics tables on that one. 30r is closer to H&H magnum, my understanding is the flanged Holland round is below 06 in power--more like a 303. There's a good chance no game animal would be able to tell the difference.

I think it is too bad the 30r has not won much acceptance. Last I saw even Blaser did not load it anymore.

Good luck to OP.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichiganShooter:
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

Mike

I'd check the ballistics tables on that one. 30r is closer to H&H magnum, my understanding is the flanged Holland round is below 06 in power--more like a 303. There's a good chance no game animal would be able to tell the difference.

I think it is too bad the 30r has not won much acceptance. Last I saw even Blaser did not load it anymore.

Good luck to OP.

Merkel double rifles are chambered for the 30 Blaser!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option might be to look at the 7x65R, which is a .284 caliber and very similar in performance to the .280 Rem, except that in most double rifles it uses a 175gr bullet.

I have a couple in this caliber now, one is a Merkel 140E, the other is a BRNO O/U. Both are good shooters and both available. PM if you think this might be your ticket.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'm going to talk to the gunsmith in a week or two (got a few things to sort out first!) about which way to go.

I'll bump this again when I get something done with it.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by falling block:
Use 9.3X74R brass to make rimmed 30-06. All you need to do is cut a rim recess for the rim.
Cheers,
Laurie

Okay, somebody please school me as I'm very new to the reloading game:

What dies do you need to form a flanged 30-06 from 9.3x74R?? Do you need a special case forming die or just use the regular full length size die?? Die and shell holder numbers would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker supreme single stage press. Thanks!!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think a .303 British would be the way to go. Or, depending on what you want to use for, the old .30-30 is a rimmed 30 calibre, if a bit underpowered.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 30R Blaser would work very well for what you want to do,as what you want is a case that has the same or larger head and same or little longer case.ie; 30 R Blaser

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Merkel double rifles are chambered for the 30 Blaser

+1 tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaCole:
Thanks guys, I'm going to talk to the gunsmith in a week or two (got a few things to sort out first!) about which way to go.

I'll bump this again when I get something done with it.

Without resorting to CiP dimension tables, i'd swear you would be better off merely necking up 7x65R brass rather than necking down and fireforming 9.3x74R.

7mm to 7.62mm should be a one step one die process, unlike necking from 9.3 to 7.62 which would probably require 2 steps & hence two dies.

I cant remember if the shoulder positions of the 7x65R and .30'06 are the same or not, but so long as the x65R shoulder isn't further forward than on a '06 you might be able to merely load up NEW 7x65R brass and seat .30 cal boattail bullets and go shooting - this works with .338 boattails forming 8,5x63R from 7x65R cases

Posts: 46 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cant remember if the shoulder positions of the 7x65R and .30'06

The 65 is .08" forward of the 30-06

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, very helpful. Just to make sure I understand you right; you load .30 cal boattail in the 7x65R brass and shoot them. When I pull them out of the gun, they are now formed to a flanged .30-06. Is that correct??

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaCole:
Thanks guys, very helpful. Just to make sure I understand you right; you load .30 cal boattail in the 7x65R brass and shoot them. When I pull them out of the gun, they are now formed to a flanged .30-06. Is that correct??

Unfortunately no, as Ramrod340 has corrected, the shoulder of the 7x65 is .08" forward of the shoulder of the .30-06, so you'd have to bump the shoulder back as well as neck up

Posts: 46 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Okay, remembering that I'm a newb to reloading, how do you push the shoulder of the 7x65R back by.08?? I would really appreciate the step by step process. The RCBS shell holder for 7x65R is No. 26. so step one should be;

1. Insert 7x65R case in shell holder No.26.
2. Use die No. "x" to...????
3. ???

Thanks again!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd just do a 303. The 30R Blaser is a fine concept, but without acceptance, the ammunition and components will always be a headache. There are enough 303 rifles out there to keep ammunition around well past our lifetimes.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'd just do a 303. The 30R Blaser is a fine concept, but without acceptance, the ammunition and components will always be a headache. There are enough 303 rifles out there to keep ammunition around well past our lifetimes.

Hi Biebs,

In a land where buying and selling guns is easy, I would agree with you. As I live in the UK, I need to keep this gun. It is already .30-06 and just want to make it a flanged round.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned the 30 Super, also called the Holland and Holland 30 Flanged Mag. It was an H&H proprietary cartridge and I think only found in H&H Doubles? Brass might be very hard to find...I haven't looked in my new Kynoch brochure...
You can find it in Cartridges of the World.

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed there is a discussion about your exact problem on the AR Combination and Drillings forum.

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go with the .303.
Lots of easy to get brass.
215 grain bullets available for 2000 fps loads
Casting for them is easy as well.
Like carrying a light field gun SxS
Mine is an Army Navy and lots of fun to shoot, easy to load and still the power for N.A. hunting.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, remembering that I'm a newb to reloading, how do you push the shoulder of the 7x65R back by.08?? I would really appreciate the step by step process. The RCBS shell holder for 7x65R is No. 26. so step one should be;

An 06 expander should open the 7mm to 308. Run the 7x65 in a 30-06 die and it should both expand the neck and move the shoulder back. A little lub wouldn't hurt. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

An 06 expander should open the 7mm to 308. Run the 7x65 in a 30-06 die and it should both expand the neck and move the shoulder back. A little lub wouldn't hurt. Wink

You are the man! Thanks!!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Just go with the .303.
Lots of easy to get brass.
215 grain bullets available for 2000 fps loads
Casting for them is easy as well.
Like carrying a light field gun SxS
Mine is an Army Navy and lots of fun to shoot, easy to load and still the power for N.A. hunting.
Frank

Frank, I hear ya brother, but if I recall right the .303 is a shorter chambering than the .30-06. Also, it would be easier to re-size brass than rechamber. .303 is easy to come by on this side of the pond but I just like .30-06 (maybe its just trying to hang onto my "yank-ness" here!)

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might have missed it in a hasty reading of the thread, but the .303 British that uses the 215 gr. bullet is .312 in diameter, as opposed to the 30-06 and the Super 30 flanged that are .308. Believe that difference is too great to just fireform a case and use the Woodleigh .312 bullet.... Might see some unwonted pressures.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
The 30R Blaser was purportedly designed to clean up a 30-06 chamber. Just have the old chamber cleaned up at Champlin Arms Enid Oklahoma 73701. Talk to JJ or George.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about using the 308 Marlin Express round. Virtually the same ballistics as the 308 Winchester.

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I think that history will bear out that this 308 Marlin will be another flash in the pan round that fades out soon Similar to the 307 Winchester rimmed round.
Besides I'll bet that it'll be too high of a pressure round for most DR's.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I read lots of interesting ideas here.

Short story: I like to avoid wildcats.

The 7x65R is a great cartridge, easy to find brass for. Likewise for the 303 Brit.

If cleaning up an 06 chamber is a criteria, that's different, and a wildcat is appealing.

Recently, I thought I found the Holy Grail of 30 cal double rifle. A dealer had listed a Brno over and under in 7.62x54R. I couldn't believe it, so I emailed him and asked to check again. In suspense, I waited for a reply. It came back as a mistake, and he corrected it to 7x57R.

IMO, if you found a double rifle, SXS or OxU, in 7x57R, 7x65R, 7.62x54R, 303, or 8x57R, or 8x64R, any of them would be a perfect chambering, so it would depend on the rifle itself more than the cartridge.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote