New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jones underlever.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being a fan of Jones underlever(JUL) I Wonder in a modern sence of production if this is an Expensive way to make a locking system?.

All my 3 doubles has JUL and I have gotten used to so much that handling doubles with toplever seems weird.

I Wonder why the JUL went out?. Fasion?..or something else?.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I think it was what people wanted at the time. The market is driven by what sells. As the world changed in this time period, I believe folks equated the JUL with old fashioned black powder.

Also the sleek and smooth design of a hammerless box or side lock was easier on the eye, easier to handle, and would not get hung up on brush as would exposed hammers and and the JUL lever.

Quickness or reloading or more ease to do so also contributed. External hammers can and do break.

It definitely was not strength as the JUL is stronger than most top lever systems as to closing and camming the action up tight.

To me, they do look balanced. I don't like the looks of a hammerless JUL double or a hammer and top lever double. But that is just me.

Styles change as people's desires for styles change. Hell, I still wish we wore bell bottoms and listed to the Beatles--on 45s and LPs! But, that's just me, too.

In looking tag prices in old catalogs, it seems the JUL was less cost to produce so economics didn't kill it. What people wanted did, however.
Cheers, my mates.
Cal

PS. Email me in two weeks or so. I haver a few JUL rifles up for sale.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal.

Along the way I too had a slight idea the JUL was phased out because of fasion. After the 1st world war it´s rare to see any doubles fitted with JUL. The era for this type locking system died more or less.
I just like the look of JUL and the way it works. In shotguns it´s not a fast system for highvolume shooting but for roughshooting and the occasional bird it is just wonderfull to use.
I will drop you a line or two anyway. I still hadn´`t got you latest book.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

Quickness or reloading or more ease to do so also contributed. External hammers can and do break.

It definitely was not strength as the JUL is stronger than most top lever systems as to closing and camming the action up tight.

quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
In shotguns it´s not a fast system for high volume shooting but for roughshooting and the occasional bird it is just wonderfull to use.
I will drop you a line or two anyway. I still hadn´`t got you latest book.

In my opinion, both quotes above are the real reason the JUL went the way of the Do Do.

The fact is as Call says the Jones under lever is mechanically stronger that the top lever system, so strength was not the reason for it’s departure.

As Jens says on a shotgun for walking up birds, the Jones was fine, but for driven birds it was too slow.

Once the doubles were made into rifles, to be used for dangerous game, there was a need for fast reloading more in the early days than even today with a double rifle. The chamberings and bullet quality in those days often did not do the trick with two shots, and the top lever is far faster to reload.

I have a Cape gun with the JUL and back action hammer locks. It is a black powder 20 ga on the left, and a 58 Berdan carbine on the right barrel. It is a pleasure for general walk-about hunting of deer and birds But very slow to reload. I think the only under lever that is as quick as the top lever is the Snapp-action lever.

......................................................................Just my two pennys! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens,

If you want a new one built, I know of a one-man shop in Belgium who can build you one. No website, but he works with my friend, Roland Baptiste, whom you know too. You may have read about the new Francotte that Roland engraved, in The Sporting Shot. Roland engraved it for this gentleman. Age keeps me from recalling his name right now, but it will come to me. Please let me know if you want more information, or, of course, you can always talk to Roland as well.

Good hunting, my friend!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Wm Richards 20b Hammer Gun with a Jones Rotary underlever that is a dedicated Woodcock gun. What I like about the JUL is that if the hammers are cocked you can break open the gun and let the hammers down safely..

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got home from fondling a 500 BPE Purdey with Jones underlever... worst thing is, it's for sale too. Gonna be tough to sleep tonight.

Posts: 181 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaaarrrggghhh! It just sold for $7,000! Why did I buy an RV yesterday?

Posts: 181 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remembered the name, Jens - Armurerie Corman. There are pictures on the net, but the phone numbers that come up are old. Roland told me that he would be happy to put you in touch with him if you want to talk to him. He is a magician with guns.

Cheers, my friend!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I think reloading speed was the start, then it must have been just a process of doing what the shotgun crowd was doing; use the same locks, top levers, safety mechanisms, etc..

In my opinion there's no more righteous looking action that a back action hammer gun with a JUL or a side lever opening.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

In my opinion there's no more righteous looking action that a back action hammer gun with a JUL or a side lever opening.

Oh Yeah!!
I cannot disagree!

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:

Oh Yeah!!
I cannot disagree!

Nice!! Love those arcaded fences on the top one, plus the hammer locks! Very drool-worthy and thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's got soul and style in spades. I love the fences on the top one.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a collector..I am not a collector...I am not a collector....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, all of them.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Is that your ten bore in the middle?
Proportionately much more beautiful than an eight bore rifle IMO.

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Is that your ten bore in the middle?
Proportionately much more beautiful than an eight bore rifle IMO.

..yep. I have shot an 8bore before and it is a much bigger gun. I am becomming more found of the 10bore. 10Dram + 982grain conical is just fine. I know the 8bore do carry an additionally 250grain bullet but with a price of 4ibs more gun to haul around with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jens, you just keep telling yourself that..lol!

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote