THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    10 Bore double from Champlin Chapter 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 Bore double from Champlin Chapter 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have here today picked up a very very fine doublerifle at the airport.. dancing

THIS gun is very fine...in fact, much better than described by seller. It is a tight action, the rifling seems cut yesterday. Each barrel has 12 grooves, with a twist leaving no questions, that this gun shoots bullets...not balls. Under the barrels its regulationcharge is inscribed...
"8-10 drams". This gun seems not to have been shot alot. The exprees sights are tight, and the soldered rip has the finest serrated lines one can imaging all the way out to the ivory bead. The wood is very pretty, actually without compromising marks/nicks.The checkering on pistol grip and forarm is excellent++++. The muzzles of the barrels are sharp.The "metal fit to the wood" are sharp 99% everywhere.
This gun was worth everything...even the waitingtime coffee. If I had known this gun was so much better than George had described, I could have waited another 5 months..hahaha(maybe not). My highest recommendation to George Caswell, when one has to buy a doublerifle unseen...110%. patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats, glad that all worked out and you ended up with a beautiful rifle. thumb

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jens!

Big Grin

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the biggest pictures the forum can handle...I will get better pictures later for sure

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! beer

I'm glad the waiting is over.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Congratulations!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jens: Your rifle is simply stunning. Please share results with us when you shoot it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens

I have held and handled that double rifle at Champlins.

It is indead as you say Very Nice.

Let us know how she shoots.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Jens

I have held and handled that double rifle at Champlins.

It is indead as you say Very Nice.

Let us know how she shoots.

I will order brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge next week.....This thing needs to get rock`n roll. 2020
I have blue dot powder which should be the magic for them borerifles..put a fullpower BP load will tried aswell. shocker

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the beautiful rilfe! I just finished Sir Alfred Pease's "Book of the Lion", published in 1913. Long after smokeless powder was in use, his favorite rifle for close range work on dangerouse game remained a 10 bore black powder hammer double.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have miked the bore to .795", and the twistratio is 1:51. I think i read somewhere when the bore was bigger than the nominal .775" a paperhull had been used instead of brass?? Had I just known(did ask back then) that before buying two bulletmolds at NEI Handtools for the .775cal. Frowner
I will make up a chambercast and send it to RMC, and see if it is feasable to make brass, or I`LL just settle with plastic hulls!. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens, no worries. RMC can make brass cases to duplicate paper. They're just much thicker and as a result never need to be resized. The thing to look for is a large "step" in your chamber (or on your casting) where the barrel transitions from chamber to throat. I use RMC brass in a paper case 10 and 8 and in my brass 4 and it's great stuff.

Congrats on a fine gun and definitely share your shooting results with us.

Best Regards,
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.775 uses a paper case. .800 is a thinwall brass case. Your gun is more of a 9 bore than a 10. Your twist should shoot both conical and round ball well. Anything is possible but look for a conical with a cast weight around 875 to 925grs.
What do your .775 molds cast, I may be interested in them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY !!!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatsby:
.775 uses a paper case. .800 is a thinwall brass case. Your gun is more of a 9 bore than a 10. Your twist should shoot both conical and round ball well. Anything is possible but look for a conical with a cast weight around 875 to 925grs.
What do your .775 molds cast, I may be interested in them?

The molds I have cast 900 grain and 1080 grain.
Sure...I`LL sell them to you...better, If you order the NEI mold #790-960, you can have my two...what do you say? dancing
I think the nei mold needs to be .795" though Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
Jens, no worries. RMC can make brass cases to duplicate paper. They're just much thicker and as a result never need to be resized. The thing to look for is a large "step" in your chamber (or on your casting) where the barrel transitions from chamber to throat. I use RMC brass in a paper case 10 and 8 and in my brass 4 and it's great stuff.

Congrats on a fine gun and definitely share your shooting results with us.

Best Regards,
Bob

Thanks BOb Wink
I`LL chambercast tomorrow...need to get this thing rolling here 2020
I have only good things about RMC....serious stuff Mr Casey performs patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother has a 12 bore double rifle by Manton & Co. that weighs 13 3/4 lbs and is an almost exact duplicate of your 10 Bore. It also is in remarkable condition.

Posts: 80 | Location: Toronto, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have chambercast the rifle. The dimension that was most interesting was the neckdiameter versus bulletdiameter.
The rim thickness = .o66
Rimdia .938"
Basedia .860"
Neckdia . 844"
Bulletdia .793 (marked beneath the barrels)

Speaking here with David casey at Rocky Mountain Cartridge here e few hours ago, I gave him my neckdiameter of only .816"...and he could almost say right away.."Something was wrong here!" Way to thin...but could be done.
I had to measure over again..and he was right!
I am glad to have talked to him...before ordering brass...David knows his stuff Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens.
What you want to measure is the groove depth in the barrels. The standard 10 bore 2 7/8" case that Dave makes should be fine. You should have him bore the top inch or so to the groove depth which I believe you said is either .795, your measurement, or .793, the marking on the gun.
FYI - Dixie gunworks can make a round ball moulde for $40. I just had one made at .809" The exactness of the cherry cutting does vary as I did have to send mine back. It is a neat litlle scissor moulde though. Price = quality is usually right.
This link will give you exact shotgun hull dimensions.
http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Jens

Get-R-Done so that we can BANG this fine rifle of yours.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote