THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Polar bear in camp and me without my DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polar bear in camp and me without my DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Good Day to All:

I am back working up in the tar sands of Northern Alberta operating a telescoping forklift on a plant construction site. These sites are carved out of the Northern Boreal Forests where the only things up here are Indians and critters.

On this site we have approximately 1500 men and women on two shifts. There are camps like this all over the Northern region, North of Fort MacMurray Alberta.

On Friday afternoon I am working with two fellows spotting for my machine while I move steel from one place to another. Of course I am intently watching my load to make sure it does not slip, when I look around and notice everyone remotely close to me is running like hell in the direction away from me. (No, I am not that dangerous of an operator nilly). Before I have a chance to turn around to see what is going on, the whole back end of my machine pushes down lifting my forks off the ground. I turn around in my seat and I am nose to nose with a frigggin Polar bearshocker. The only thing separating us is a piece of windshield glass. nilly nilly nilly diggin.

After taking a second to compose myself, I realized the bear was more curious than anything else. We basically stared at each other for a couple of minutes before he dismounted the back of my machine and wandered back into the forest.

I have been close to bears before but never a polar bear and never so damn close. And me without my double rifle.

My crew and I were talking with the wildlife biologist the company brought in and he said it was extremely rare for a polar bear to be seen this far South of their home range. He believes it is a result of global warming and the Polar bears are branching out looking for new territory to range in.

I can tell you that if the bear I saw got into it with a grizzly, there would be no contest. The Polar bear would mop the forest floor with a grizzly carcass.

I would have reported this sighting sooner but Friday evening I got hit with food poisoning and have been down-and-out until now. That's the problem with these camps. Viruses and infections run through the place knocking out men like a bowling ball making a strike on the pins.

Well, that's all for now. They fly us out on the 13th of April for a well deserved one week rest before we do it all over again. And I am sure you can guess what I will be doing the minute I get through the front door. Yup, you got it; straight to the gun room to fondle my favourite new Merkel 141. dancing. I think I will even take a day and go do some more load testing. What were you guys thinking; my wife will be at work when I fly in Big Grin

So long for now.

As always, comments, questions and criticisms always welcome.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem
dancing

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a day to not have a camera in your pocket, although....

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
I would have loved to have a camera however, they are strictly forbidden on-site or in camp.

If managements finds you taking pictures, you're fired.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carp

Does that mean all mobile phones are banned as well ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
They try to ban cell phones.

You are allowed cell phones in the camp but not on the work site. Which is odd because I see guys using their phones in the luch room.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
shocker

Awesome!

Too bad about the camera and cell phone rules but completely understandable.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew it had been a long winter. I figure that bear was at least 900 km from the nearest salt water in Hudson's Bay.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Man, talk about a joke falling flat on its face. bewildered

Ok guys, time to fess up; this was an April Fools Joke. Big Grin bsflag

Look back to the day of the posting. Then look to see what day the Friday was of the sighting. Yes, it was April 01. animal

I thought for sure someone would have called bullshit. Yes, Fort Mac is Northern Alberta but, we are a loooong way from the Arctic.

If it makes you feel any better, I got all the guys at my local gun store when I phoned the owner of the shop, who is a good friend of mine, and they all fell for it hook line and sinker. rotflmo

The gun shop is open late Thursday nights for all to come in and browse, drink coffee and buy stuff. My wife, who also fell for it but with great skepticism, went down to shop to break the joke. She is well known to all who frequent the shop. When she walked in, the conversation immediately turned to the polar bear sighting. She said, You mean the one on Friday? Of course, everyone agreed. She then said, Come on fellas, what day was Friday? The room went silent. After about a minute, the blind patron,(this is no joke; he is blind), says April 1st.

The comments that followed will not be reprinted here so as to not offend delicate ears. My wife was blushing all the way home. Needless to say, many of the explitives were directly linked to my name and my wife tells me to be very much on the watch when I come out for my days off. sofa

So guys, sorry. homer I guess it wasn't such a good April Fools Joke.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
They try to ban cell phones.

You are allowed cell phones in the camp but not on the work site. Which is odd because I see guys using their phones in the luch room.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

What's wrong with cell phones at the work site? Are you guys treated like minimum wage slaves at a discount store?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
April Fool joke is only funny if it's posted on April ! Story was so unbelievable I checked the posting day. Big Grin Didn't fly.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Hello Sid Post:
They don't want cell phones on site because of the cameras.

Because the mining of dirty oil is so controversial, they don't want any pics showing the wholesale scarification of the landscape to get to the tar sands.

So, it is damage control at the base root.

Regards,

carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
Hello Sid Post:
They don't want cell phones on site because of the cameras.

Because the mining of dirty oil is so controversial, they don't want any pics showing the wholesale scarification of the landscape to get to the tar sands.

So, it is damage control at the base root.

Regards,

carpediem

Actually, the mining control systems are what they are primarily trying to protect. Everyone thinks they have an edge in technology and don't want to give away any tips. Seriously, Google Earth makes cell phone cameras pointless for trying to show the pits.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote