New
Find
Notify
Tools

cup point load for 9.3x74
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any body have a load for the cup point in 9.3x74. I am haveing trouble with the hands again and can't shoot the 470.

Thanks JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
JD,
I have never used the cup point in the 9.3 but did use the solid. I don't recall having to do any major adjustments for this bullet VS a regular soft. I did not shoot them much and was not able to locate any load notes.

One other thing to mention, I belive Mike once advised me of problems with the cup point in calibers below 416. I don't recall all the details but believe it had to do with the bullet having the tendency to tumble after impact. Maybe he will post on the thread and provide further details. I may be wrong with this comment and don't intend to cast any doubt on the bullet. I am a true believer in the cup point but have never used in in anything smaller than 458.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe

Nope, it didn't have anyting to do with stability. It's just that the smaller the caliber, the smaller meplat available to put a cup on so there is less advantage of the cup performance. It still works OK, it just doesn't have the "smack the snot out of 'em" affect that the 40s and above do. The new guys are playing with different designs of the cup so that distinction between calibers may lessen, in the future.

Mike

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I still seem to remember a "few" 450 FP that bounced off an elephant or two...

You know the ones, the PH showed them to you at Dallas Safari Show one year... Big Grin Big Grin

Feel free to tell the "rest of the story"... sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're lucky you didn't wind up with a CPS up the ass for that one Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I will tell the rest of the story, just so there is no doubt of the performance in the field of the NF FP bullets, which is excellent...

I had "recovered" a few NF 450gr. .458 FP Solids from my 450 No2 while practicing.
I was shooting into rocky ground and I had recovered some of the bullets...

My PH and his buddy another PH at rhe Dallas Safari show were right across from NF Mike...
I sent the PH over with some of the bullets recovered from the "rocks"...

The Ph told Mike that they had "Bounced" off the heads of elephants"...

Big Grin dancing Big Grin

Well it was pretty funny...

Mike swore he would get "even" with me...

However, we became good friends.

I can say I have used his FP and CUP point bullets on elephants and giraffe in my 450 No2 and I consider them the best bullets on the Planet...

Also if I was reloading "normal" hunting ammo, I would use NF Soft Point ammo in every calibre from 308 and up. They are some of, if not the best bullets avialable....

Now Mike, you must admit, it was pretty funny... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not as funny as the look on my face. That PH was a pretty good actor. He just couldn't keep from laughing long enough. That and you were on the other side of the aisle laughing like a hyena on catnip. I'll still get you back knife

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I do remember the conversation better now. I don’t know where I came up with the Tumbling idea.

I too second Tony’s thoughts on the Cup point. Out of all the Buffalo I have killed, the only one shot kills have been with the Cup point bullet. Now I don’t claim to be an expert but both me and my PH noticed the difference a cup point makes on game. It is a great bullet. I used it on my one and only Elephant and it offered full penetration on a side brain shot. Mike and I spoke after the fact and he recommended this bullet not be used for Jumbo. I will take his advice and use the Solid for any future elephant hunting but it did work in my case. The only cup point I have ever recovered in game was taken out of a dead buffalo. I wanted to recover a bullet and shot the bull from the rear, we found the bullet in the neck where it still almost exited. Like I said, they are amazing.

I also want to point out how great Mike was to work with. One of my hunts was a last minute deal where I had very little time to prepaire. I was nearly out of bullets and called Mike to bail me out. He went out to the shop and dug up enough bullets for me to take on the hunt, mailed them to me priority and said pay me when you get home. I have yet to purchase any of the newly manufactured bullets however I expect the customer service is still the same and the bullets may be even better….if that is possible.

I hope they get some going for the .505 and .510 bore in the near future.

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just looking for a load for a after christmass deer hunt the norma are to soft and doing way to much damage.

I had great results with a large pig with my 470.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
JD,
I recomend you try the Partition.