Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel Double Rifle Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear All,
I know on this forum there are some of you that shoot merkel doubles. I was curious if the stocks have any bend in them. (Now, I doubt I'm using the proper terminology when I use the word "bend") A good friend of mine expressed to me that often european guns, doubles included, have the stock bent just slightly. Now you maybe wondering why I ask, I am a left handed and shoot my rifle from the left shoulder. My friend expressed concern, as he is a lefty also, that because of this he has had issues shooting certain double rifles, especially on the big calibers...that were right handed guns.

I'm considering buying a merkel double, and a left handed one isn't something I've seen much of, can anyone with a merkel double give me an idea if they have any curve to the stock.

Any lefties shooting right handed merkels?

Any and all advice would be welcome EXCEPT any bullshit resembling "oh you shouldn't buy a merkel, merkels aren't K guns...blah blah blah."

Don't spin this thread into which is better...merkel or whatever! thanks

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, mine has a bit of cast.

And you can get a stock maker to bend the stock for you if you need more.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
If your buying the rifle localy just sight down the length of the gun to determine for yourself how much if any cast it has.

I think the bigger concern will be the arrangement of the triggers. You'll have to feel the gun in your hand to determine if you can use the trigger as is or if they will have to be modified.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, next question, does the front trigger have to be pulled first?

OK, I had heard that I could have the gun recast if it was a problem, what would something like that done cost from someone who knows what they are doing?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
ok, next question, does the front trigger have to be pulled first?

No, you can pull the rear trigger first if you want.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
On a right handed double rifle you should shoot the right barrel first. Usually the front trigger. That's the way they are regulated.

However, you are free to shoot whatever barrel you would lkie to shoot first!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
Dear All,
I know on this forum there are some of you that shoot merkel doubles. I was curious if the stocks have any bend in them. (Now, I doubt I'm using the proper terminology when I use the word "bend") A good friend of mine expressed to me that often european guns, doubles included, have the stock bent just slightly. Now you maybe wondering why I ask, I am a left handed and shoot my rifle from the left shoulder. My friend expressed concern, as he is a lefty also, that because of this he has had issues shooting certain double rifles, especially on the big calibers...that were right handed guns.

I'm considering buying a merkel double, and a left handed one isn't something I've seen much of, can anyone with a merkel double give me an idea if they have any curve to the stock.

Any lefties shooting right handed merkels?

Any and all advice would be welcome EXCEPT any bullshit resembling "oh you shouldn't buy a merkel, merkels aren't K guns...blah blah blah."

Don't spin this thread into which is better...merkel or whatever! thanks

Oryxhunter1983, I see you are in Texas, and I know this is a big peice of property, but if you live close, I own a couple of Merkel double rifles, and would certainly let you shoot them to see if they work for you. I have a 140E, 9.3X74R , and a 140-2 Safari 470NE , and I'd be happy to meet you at any range close by so you can shoot them.
Send me a PM, or an E-mail at DUGABOY1@aol.com with your location, and we will see if we can get together for a day of shooting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Champlin Arms will bend the stock if necessary for you. Good luck.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote