THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Nickle-type finish vs Color Cased
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickle-type finish vs Color Cased
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
Which of these would be more rust resistant on a DR receiver?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Rust???
During the "Juneau Rain Festable Jan 1 thru Dec 31"
Surely you jest???

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Mike, you seen that Chapuis yet? Did you select color case for the receiver?

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It should have been here thursday... But it's MIA. Hopefully Monday. The USPS(?) strikes again!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Antlers, to answer the question you asked, color case finish is usually covered in clear laquer for protection, it does not last too long unless reapplied. Most "coin finished" are just polished steel in the white, no protection there. I don't know if any double has a true nickle finish on it, but it would be far better than the others at rust resistance.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jason simpkins has a special alaska finish he offers on his double rifles. my understanding is that they are weather impervious.

certainly better than any other maker offers.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
jason simpkins has a special alaska finish he offers on his double rifles. my understanding is that they are weather impervious.

certainly better than any other maker offers.

sofa What would that be on a sleeved $2500 shotgun/DR, "Flat Black Krylon"?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe send it to Birdsong for a Black T coating? Has a good rep for corrosion resistance, and it's fairly inexpensive.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers:

Have a look at the Metalife plating. I have one rifle so plated and the work is excellent. I can't say as how I have tested it to see if the claims about rust resistance is true, but it looks good and the work was done in a timely matter.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Color cased is my favorite reciever finish.

However I think some of the european doubles do have a nickel plated finish.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I've got a 416Rem with a hard chrome finish and a 9,3 X 62 in the NP3 finish. I haven't hunted the 9,3 yet, but the hard chrome has held up very well. I know I have options like these, but can't see spending the cost of a double and putting a finish like these on it.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Color cased is my favorite reciever finish.

However I think some of the european doubles do have a nickel plated finish.

Do those come standard with a gold front tooth?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HOG KILLER your comment on jASONS FINISH IS SOMETHING ONE WOULD EXPECT FROM A YANKEE.

read jasons post about what is done to make the rifle suitable for wet weather.

actually he doesn't do it, he has it professionally done. somehow i think he is on tosomething there - for rifle that are carried every day, not riding around like some queenie in a pick - em - up trucks

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote