New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have shot all my life , but have no experience w/ a double rifle. I now own my first. A Chapius 9.3x74R I bought from McKay.
I've done my load research and research here.
Any tips,ideas or advice would be welcome. Thanks guys. (NOT shootacow. I do not want this thread hijacked).

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Todd Williams probably has as much experience as any of us on AR with a Chapuis 9.3x74R double. I would seek out his advice for loads. As a starter, see if you can get any factory rounds for which the rifle was regulated. NECG carries RWS ammo in 9.3x74R and Midway carries Norma (or at least they used to), and a lot of Chapuis rifles were requlated with RWS or Norma ammo. You can also check GunBroker for factory ammo, brass and dies. Good luck! Those little Chapuis rifles are great "starter doubles".

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Great little guns and a lot of fun.
If your gun is regulated for Norma 286 grain loads, work up a load with IMR4831 with a 286 grain bullet. Most likely 65 grains will be the regulation load. 450 No.2 was the person who put me onto this load. It has regulated in the three doubles and two drillings in 9.3x74R that I've owned and shot. Take the time to read through this forum. There is a lot of good advice here.
Lay in a supply of ammo and reloading components and have fun.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
TK,

I've had great success with the CEB offerings. I'll say that without the scope which mine now wears most of the time, it pretty much shot whatever I fed it, perfectly matching the regulation target. Not finicky at all. When I put the scope on, things change significantly. From what I understand from other owners, the addition of a scope on the little Chapuis rifles is a hit or miss proposition as to whether or not regulation will be affected negatively. On mine it was.

What I finally settled on, after quite a bit of experimentation, was the CEB 255 gr. Safari Raptor (Non-Con) and 285gr BBW#13 solid. They both shoot to the same point of impact. My load is 53grs of IMR 4064 with just a pinch of Dacron filler, and standard Fed 210 primers. I've given this load to several shooters and to the best of my knowledge, it's been spot on for them as well, or has at least provided a good starting point.

This load and caliber has been used to good success taking a Zim lion in 2012 at about 40 yards, numerous plains game to 150 yards or so, and a black bear at 115 yards. Very effective on all. This past year, in Dec. 2013, I took an impala with the same rifle load combo at 263 yards. That gives an example of the versatility of the little Chapuis rifle and the 9.3x74R caliber.

You made a good decision on your first double and I think you'll find similar versatility and effectiveness will follow. Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll help any way I can.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 9,3 Chapuis has accounted for a couple of Alaskan moose and caribou. It is very easy to find a regulation load for them with the stock iron sights.
Several different powders work well and they do not seem to be finicky at all.
The high comb belts my cheek and I am only good for about 20 rounds before I quit. I did buy a scope and mounts for mine but it is so sweet to carry unscoped I just put up with the belt in the cheek.
IMO these rifles are the best value in the double market. Liked the 9,3 so much I bought another in 30R Blaser.

Some will disagree with me on this point, but I would avoid Norma brass in the Chapuis. Hornady is a far better choice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Mr. Williams, I read your load data here and have all the components you used. Thank you.
Any specifics on shooting differences of other types of guns compared to doubles ie, rest, hold, trigger pull, grip, target distance ?
What would the ideal regulation be for L/R barrels at 50,100,150 yds ?
Also, do you sight the iron sights in at a different distance than when using the scope ?

posted Hide Post
I also have a Chapuis 9.3. I use 65 grns of IMR4831, a 285 grn Privi bullet and CCI 200 primers in Norma or Hornaday brass. It shoots the width of the barrels at 100 yrds with the open sites or with a 1x4 leupold scope.

one of us

Posts: 17 | Location: Northern Ontario Canada | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would start shooting at 50 yards. ALWAYS start with a load less than what you think is needed for regulation so you can observe the POI slowly coming together.
Put up two targets, one right and one left. Load up both barrels and rest your arms on the bench and fire the right barrel at the right target, left at left. Do this maybe 2-3 times for each load.
Most likely you will slowly increase the powder charge so do the same thing with one grain more until you find the point where you get the best accuracy.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the info. Reasonably priced loaded ammo is hard to find so I'll use the components I've gathered (dies, brass & bullets) to take the advice here and load my own. A new adventure !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great cartridge and easy to reload.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote