New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500NE V-C vs .577NE V-C
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I really need some help here! I am NOT an experienced Double Rifle guy, and I also am one of the unfortunate fools that sent money to Peter Als Nerving, for a .500NE that will never arrive.

So, I have now decided I am interested in getting a Verney-Carron double, but I cannot decide whether I want, need or should get a .500 or a .577? I am going to list below some questions/comments/intentions I have for the gun, and I am really looking for some advice from the much more experienced DR members.

1. Starting in 2012 I will be guiding 2-3, 10 to 21 day DG hunts in Tanzania. So I plan for the gun to be a legit back-up gun if necessary.

2. I also hunt DG every year, so I want this to be a personal hunting rifle as well.

3. How important is it to get "fitted" for the gun, and order a custom gun made for me, vs buying one that is already made?

4. If "fitting" one is necessary, can I do that here in Colorado, or do I need to get with Ken at V-C to do that?

5. I am NOT a reloader, and have no interest in reloading, what role could available ammo play in my decision? Currently I have all of my ammo custom loaded by Safari Arms Ltd - New York. Is this question even a consideration?

6. I am not especially sensitive to recoil, but of course when considering that I could potentially be using the gun in a moment of crisis, does one caliber make more sense over the other?

Likely I am leaving out some potential considerations/questions, so please feel free to add any comments or concerns that are not mentioned.

Thanks guys for your help, and I look forward to your input.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

PM me and I will give you my phone number and give you my 2 cents for what it is worth,

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I actually think your question is a very easy one to answer, go with the .500 NE. The .500 will be a great stopper, it will weigh a good 2-3 pounds less than the .577 which will be important lugging the rifle around in the bush, and you can have it regulated with Hornady ammo which is readily available and relatively cheap since you do not reload. The .500 will be perfectly fine for any dangerous game, including elephant. The only reason to own a .577 is that you already own a .500 and want something different to play with. Wink

On the fitted versus stock double rifles, I have only ever owned stock double rifles. I have never had one custom made. I think if you get one that fits you from a LOP perspective, I am not sure that the 8-12 month wait for a fitted rifle is really worth it. Particularly in your case since you are expecting to start guiding next year I would think that you would want to get something and start practicing with it and getting to know it sooner rather than later. Lots of English double shooters out there that are very happy and none of them (other than someone very old or someone with lots of dough for a new HH, WR or Purdy) had their rifles built to spec.

I would be inclined to go for slightly longer barrels, say 25 or 26 inch. I think they tend to balance better and get the muzzle blast a little further from your face.

My $0.02.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Aaron, I own both but would purchase the .500 nitro as my "only double". Have it regulated with factory Hornady ammo. Definately order it made to your dimensions. Ken can advise where you might go for that or you can have Jerome measure you at DCS or SCI. May I also suggest that you put a deposit down to lock in a price before January. After the first of the year it goes up. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably don't have as much experience as others but I have a stock Merkel and a Searcy that was fitted to me based on measurements I sent to Butch. The Searcy fit me perfectly when I got it. I live in NC and Butch is in California. The only thing I did to the Merkel is change the recoil pad and a spacer to adjust for LOP. I have had several Merkels including a 500NE and they just fit me. I had the Searcy regulated with Hornady factory ammo and a handload since I load all of my own. I can buy Hornady ammo when on sale and load it back with my handloads and both shoot to same point of impact. The barrels on the Merkel are 23.6" and the Searcy is 26" and both weigh about the same. I agree with Mjines on going with the 500NE and being able to buy Hornady factory ammo at very reasonable prices.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I would choose the 500 NE as well. I'd like to have a 577 also, but honestly, the 500 will do what ever you need it to. It gets heavy enough as it is. An extra 3 lbs or so may not sound like much, but you know what it feels like after a tough day in the field. You've been there, done that more than I.

My rifle is a stock Merkel. It actually fits me fine except that we added a spacer under the pad to lengthen the LOP. If I close my eyes and throw the gun up to my shoulder, the sights are dead on when I open my eyes. Not all of the stock rifles I looked at did this however. So I would say that a "Bespoke" rifle isn't necessary, but don't just buy any rifle off the shelf. Try several out to see which one fits the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the .500 Nitro regulated with Hornady ammo. If you're going to carry it yourself, every day, you will be glad in the long run that you chose it over the .577.

Posts: 139 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I've had both, and I'd take the 500 for a using gun everytime. The 577 is heavy, and if it is built shootable-- 13.5-15 lbs then its too heavy to pack around, I had my 577 when I was 26-28 years old, and it tuckered me out packing it around at it was on the light end of 13 lb 8oz. When you touched off a full tilt 750 grain load there was alot of recoil--a big shove yes. Did it hurt--no-- but it was a hell of a shove. Some of the 650 loads at 1950fps were nice in the gun but did not shoot to the sights like the 750's did.

I did hold a Marcel Thys at one time a few years ago that was 11-11.5 lbs. It felt super but I bet it stomped the shit out of ya! I had a friend that had a Westely Richards that had 25 or 26 in barrels it balanced great and the weight was around 14.5 lbs. It was a sweet shooter, but I'd hate to carry that around for 10-21 days.

The trouble with the 577 is you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Its got awesome power, but it needs to weigh at LEAST 12lbs, and its usually about 30% more in cost. Mine was a great toy and an even better learning experence.

If I wanted a PH"ing" gun, I'd get a 500 at 10.5lbs no doubt. If I wanted something different, I'd get them to do me a 500/465.

I tell this story often. My father is an ol cowboy, and he shot the 577. He handled the recoil like a champ, but he broke it open and handed it back to me and said "Son nothing needs that much killing!!!!" As I get older I have to agree with him!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If you ask all your PH mates if their own rifles weight is a big factor in what they like, then you will have a good idea what is practical. In particular if you will be guiding.
With fitting, I just had my local GS to measure me up for Ken.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I have both 500 and 577. The 500 is the way to go if you are going to carry it everyday and if you don't reload. Good factory ammo available from several different makers. The 577 is a great cartridge and really hammers game but the weight is an issue. I'd have a 500 built to fit you and get it made as light as they will make it. Leave those recoil reducers out of the butt.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

As I mentioned last night before either posted, I take Sam's and Don's advice without question. Two extremely experienced, intelligent and open-minded men. Both have been 100% on the money in every private correspondence we have had over the years.

I agree with the others but for me, only because you don't reload. Finding 500NE ammo is far more likely than finding (and affording) 577NE stuff.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen - WOW, I really appreciate all the advice, info and help you guys have offered.

The many different considerations have my mind spinning at the moment. Ken has also been very helpful, spending 45 minutes on the phone with me yesterday.

Thanks again!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
But on the other hand I don't know any PH carrying anything bigger than a 470 and most 416's.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Come on Bill, that is rubbish. A number carry larger guns. Hell, just from the PHs that hunt with Buzz, Rex Hoets carried a .500 Jeffery until he went into mining, either Richie or Rich carries a .500 A-Square. I believe Ivan Carter carries a .500 (and also owns a .577 or .600 as I recall). Buzz would be carrying a .500 if he could figure out a way to get the damn double he bought into Zim. Sullivan carries a .600, although now I am sure I will invite the Sullivan bashers to comment that he is not a real PH. I am confident there are many others.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Plenty with 470s though. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No flies on the 470 and ammo is easier to find than the other calibers. It has always been the most popular caliber for doubles. I've killed most of my stuff in Africa with a 470 including plains game. I doubt I will hunt with it again after shooting the bigger guns. I'd still put in a vote for the 500 just because it has a little more bullet weight and diameter.
One of the PH's I hunted with carries an older 577 double and makes it look like a toy in his hands. It sure is nice having a big bore backing you up instead of some dinky 375.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
come on Mike!

Rex told me he got rid of the Jeffery because he couldn't stand the recoil ... But his story may have changed over the years. I will pass commenting on him & his Gibbs.

All I ever heard out of Ivan was that his 450 was plenty of gun & the 375 was plenty for clients. Now that he .... He needs a 600. I'll pass on that story too.

Didn't Sullivan sell his 600? Or he was trying to at one time.

A J van Heerdon probably shot as many elephants as most and he used a 577 some of the time but I don't remember his usual.

More counterpoints. Harlan used a 458 by default, though he commented in his book about the 470 being a better killer, which sort of flies in the face of the "shot placement is everything" crowd.

If someone wants a 500 or a 577 or 600 more power to them. Undoubtedly the 500 is much more than a 470. I'm all in favor of using enough gun. I'm not convinced any more than the 416's & the 470 are needed.

Rubbish? I think not. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Your comment was "I don't know any PH carrying anything bigger than a 470 . . ." That evoked the rubbish remark.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If I must be held to account for every word that I type, rattling cages will be no fun at all.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
one might occasionally remember that a PH's weapon was likely gifted and not the reslt of any detailed analysis.

Though a hero to me, Denis Lyell and many of his ilk used little guns like the 8 mm Mauser and subsequently lost many elephants wounded.

I don't know that a 500 or a 577 is needed but they are unquestionably better than the 8 mm Mauser.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
To get back to Aaron's original question, I like the 500 a lot and it is said to have a noticeably greater impact on Ele than a 470, without a corresponding increase in recoil. When I bought a DR it was a 500 NE, because after doing the research, that is what met my needs.

As to fitting, I was measured at the V/C booth at SCI last year by a very knowledgeable Frenchman. Ask Ken but I'll bet the guy will be at both DSC and SCI for measurements this year.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I used to own a .470 before I got ripped off by Peter Nerving and had to sell it. He was reportedly making me a .500 which was the calibre I had been recommended by other well know PH's. I was very pleased with the .470

The double I would use when following up DG or in pursuit of Buffalo. I did not consider it a good all round carry gun and stuck to my bolt actions.

The other alternative is to employ a gun carrier and have two guns in the field.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, check your PM's

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is the web sight for v-c?

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domit:
what is the web sight for v-c?

I believe it is
Verney-Carron website - click here

and the English version is

US version of their website - click here

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm,I regretfully agree with most of the above on the .500,esp on the longer treks across the savanna's....That being said,get both! Big Grin (just kidding)...Me,I like/love the .577 and what it can/will do! I did have a few .500 doubles and they definelty seemed to knock down capes faster than my 458s,though they did well too...The .500 is kinda your cake and eat it too-plenty horsepower without being to heavy,say arond 10 1/2pds is all you need it to be...when your ready to move up,then you can go to the next much higher level,the .577 Killer! tu2

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for information.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You know my vote was .500 NE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
You know my vote was .500 NE

That'll be my next one! I figure going down, will be easier than going up Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Made to fit. Practicing at 30ft both eyes open. Properly fitted you should be able to hit by pointing very close to the bull every shot. Getting the feel for the rifle and smooth loading will come with shooting.

I love this stuff.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Made to fit. Practicing at 30ft both eyes open. Properly fitted you should be able to hit by pointing very close to the bull every shot. Getting the feel for the rifle and smooth loading will come with shooting.

I love this stuff.

Mike

Mike - I plan to take it out this coming Friday, and give it a go. I have shot double rifles a couple of times, but just a couple. However, I've hunted alot with my side by side 10ga shotgun with double triggers, so I am fairly comfortable with double triggers. I've always shot with both eyes open, as you're suppose to. Now it will be trying to get comfortable with the new rifle.

I owe a big thank you to Sam Rose who was kind enough to help me out with some ammo, as finding any for the .577 was very difficult.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com