Find
Notify
Tools

A Rigby .416/470????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Never heard of this caliber before. Here is a link and the description at the bottom.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun...sp?hierarchyId=10473

quote:
John Rigby Double Rifle .416/.470

John Rigby and Company Sidelock Double Rifle in .416/470. Ready for the dark continent, this game gun is of substance, with magnificent wood and metal work. Fantastic figure is found in the walnut stocks, tasteful engraving with the Surguja State Crest on the locks embellishes a rock-solid action. This rifle was built for the Maharaja of Surguja State in 1939. This is the only double of that caliber made by Rigby. Truly an unusual rifle. Makers case and accessories. This unique double rifle was completed by John Rigby & Co. and dispatched to the Maharaja of Surguja in 1939. Read the attached document for the history of the rifle.

What does anyone know about this unique round? Is it similar to the .500/416?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a two barrel set with 470 barrels and 416 Rigby barrels. I'll check it out the next time I'm by the store.

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle has two sets of barrels, .416 Rigby and .470. It was built as a .416 Rigby. The original barrels were shot out, and new .416 barrels were made by Rigby. The old barrels were rebored, rechambered, and reproved to .470.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the stock was refinished at some time. Can't imagine it being in the condition of the photot when it was used enough to shoot out a set of barrels.

It is a beautiful rifle.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Can't imagine it being in the condition of the photot when it was used enough to shoot out a set of barrels.

I know, but the last owner (the guy who had it rebarreled) said that was the case. I wouldn't be surprised if Rigby refinished the stock when they rebarreled it though.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote