THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Verney-Carron O/U 9.3x74R range results
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verney-Carron O/U 9.3x74R range results
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted
I finally took the time to try some of my loads for my Verney-Carron Sagittaire Lux O/U 9.3x74R rifle with a Kahles 2-7 AH. This scope is a very good one and literally shines in low light situations.
It was very windy (20-30 mph from my front left quarter) so setting up the chronograph didn't work. I stepped off 34 long paces, which should be @ 100 feet.
The front trigger fires the lower barrel, the rear trigger the upper so I will list them as FL and RU.
Shooting results:
60 gr RL17/286 Gr Nosler Partition/once fired (old) Norma brass/WLR primer/3.724" OAL: FL = touching the aim point at 6:00 o'clock, RU 5/8" above and slightly to the left at the 11:30 position. It appears that with this load the bores shoot nearly parallel. It seems this is also a light load so I will chronograph next outing.
68 gr H4831SC/286 gr Nosler Partition/new DWM brass/WLR primer/3.724" OAL: FL = touching aim point at 1:00 o'clock, RU 1/8" higher and 3/4" to the left. FL = touching aim point at 12:00 o'clock, RU 3/8" higher and 5/8" to the left. The shots equal the bore spacing but the dispersion is more horizontal rather than vertical.
67.5 gr WMR powder/286 gr Nosler Partition/new DWM brass/WLR primer/3.724" OAL: FL = touching aim point at 3:00 o'clock, RU = 3/4" higher and 5/8" to the left. More dispersion than the other two reloads tried.
Norma 286 gr Oryx factory load: FL = 1/2" high and 1/4" right and touching aim point at 10:00 o'clock, RU = 2 1/2" low and 1/4" right and 2 1/2" low and no horizontal dispersion.
I was impressed with my initial results at finding regulation with my reloads and rather umimpressed with the results with the Norma Orzx loads. The front trigger has a beautiful let off, no creep or overtravel. The rear trigger has a very hard pull, 8# in my estimation with, again, no creep or overtravel.
Your comments will be appreciated as this is my first experience with DR regulation.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote