Find
Notify
Tools

John Rigby & Co.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Just saw on page 92 in Nov/Dec 2011 issue of 'Safari' magazine a half-page ad for 'John Rigby & Co.'. The ad had the adorsed Rs trademark with website address: JohnRigbyandCo.com

From the below this appears to be an ad from the investor(s) who own whatever is left of Paso Robles Cali Rigby. Ad says they will be at SCI convention booth 3545.

“JOHN RIGBY & CO.”, "RIGBY", “RIGBY’S”, “JR EST 1735” and "Double R" Logo are trademarks of Rigby Ventures, LLC.
And: "John Rigby & Co. operates offices in Bend, Oregon, Dallas, Texas and London, England."

I wonder what sort of rifles they will make and display?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My lovely wife and I take a run out to the Orgeon coast every winter. We may have to route thru Bend and see if there is anything there. The rifles were once built in Rogue River, Oregon, if memory serves me correctly. Pre-Miller days.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Weren;t they called ROgue River Rifleworks back then? I didn't remember any Rigby labeled rifles coming out of OR (before this news), but could easily be wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They displayed at the Epic/SCI Game Fair in Atlanta in Sept. They had no guns to show but had plans to offer both doubles (not based on reworked Merkels) and classic magazine rifles. Time will tell but I wish them the best in bringing back a classic name with a gun that matches the original history.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"John Rigby & Co. operates offices in Bend, Oregon, Dallas, Texas and London, England."

I don't understand this. Isn't the John Rigby in London a different company than the John Rigby in California?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that they would attend the shows and not have any display rifles. I hope this ends well but to be honest, this play has been run many times and most often ends in a Punt! I am curious who is involved in the new company. Like I said....I wish them well but I expct we will see a "I paid $40,000 for a Rigby double and now they wont return my phone call" thread on the forum in about 2 years. I hope I am wrong.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Peter, it is getting more and more confusing.

The company started recently in London by the late Mark Neal is (was?) called 'John Rigby & Co., Gunmakers Ltd.'.

I think G. Miller called the Paso Robles company 'John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers), Inc.'.

In my most recent issue of African Hunting Gazette (the issue with an elephant on the cover) there is a story by Terry Wieland regarding Cali Rigby's demise. From that article it sounded as though there was nothing going on with any US based 'Rigby' company.

Now it seems the company has fired back up.

I am interested in seeing some rifles when I'm at SCI/Vegas. Not that I would buy one, just interested.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been following (somewhat) the John Rigby of London company. I believe they have a bolt gun but no doubles (yet). Ghubert might know more.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter,
You mentioned that these rifles were once originally built in Rogue River, Oregon.

What you said about is not true. They were called Rogue River Rifleworks, but were located in California; not in Oregon, having nothing to do with our Rogue River itself. I still have a letter from them, signed by Miller. AT that time, they were making their own actions, or having them made, prior to their later using the German made actions.

For one, I am glad that they are gone. My view is that it was an abomination to use a German action, put the good British name "Rigby" on it, and try to monopolize on the exceptional prior reputation of the Rigby name.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleriflejack:
Idaho Sharpshooter,
You mentioned that these rifles were once originally built in Rogue River, Oregon.

What you said about is not true. They were called Rogue River Rifleworks, but were located in California; not in Oregon, having nothing to do with our Rogue River itself. I still have a letter from them, signed by Miller. AT that time, they were making their own actions, or having them made, prior to their later using the German made actions.

For one, I am glad that they are gone. My view is that it was an abomination to use a German action, put the good British name "Rigby" on it, and try to monopolize on the exceptional prior reputation of the Rigby name.

Was it an "abomination" that Rigby imported an used all those Oberndorf Mauser actions for their bolt rifles back in the day. Funny but I always though Oberndorf was a town in Germany. animal

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote