Find
Notify
Tools

MERKEL DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Just a heads up,Guns Of The South has specials on Merkels,7495$ will get you a new DR,best price on ejector guns that I have seen.
http://WWW.GUNSOFTHESOUTH.COM/

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal, no O/U rifles? :-)

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Funny you would post that here today... Today I was looking at an octagonal barreled 500 Merkel 140 they have for 10K... Seems like a pretty good deal!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
Funny you would post that here today... Today I was looking at an octagonal barreled 500 Merkel 140 they have for 10K... Seems like a pretty good deal!

............................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JDA, I've had 2 of the octagonal barrel doubles, in 470 and 500 NE. They first introduced them with the limited African Series. They're distinctive, well-finished rifles, and Merkels are very well-regulated doubles. Go for it!

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
My first DR was a Merkel,it has changed hands twice since & not a single problem,that rifle has accounted for Buff & Elephant,if I was gun poor there would be a Merkel coming my way for sure,

Biebs,
if they would make an O/U in 458 Lott or 450 Rigby,I would be in gun heaven for sure Big Grin

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
That K gun might be a deal,but it still aint a Lott or a Rigby Cool

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picky picky

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Biebs, all those rifles must have been in a train wreck in shipment, because they all have their barrel twists around to one over the other.
.................................................................... Whistling

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
JDA, I've had 2 of the octagonal barrel doubles, in 470 and 500 NE. They first introduced them with the limited African Series. They're distinctive, well-finished rifles, and Merkels are very well-regulated doubles. Go for it!

Do you have any other thoughts, good or bad, on these rifles, Biebs?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The octagonal feature is just cosmetic...I don't know of any pros nor cons to it over round barrels. But it sure makes for an elegant-looking double. I've always been fond of Merkel doubles...they seem to be more accurate and better regulated than many of the brands on the market. Just my experience, but others have voiced the same opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biebs, all those rifles must have been in a train wreck in shipment, because they all have their barrel twists around to one over the other.

Mac, Bill has a thing for O/U big bore DRs. I thought I'd find him a few out there.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I've got two Merkel DR's and absolutely love them! The 140 is a great design, no question! As an earlier poster said, there is no reason beyond cosmetics for octagonal barrels... I sure would love one in 450...

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Guns of the South seems to be an internet only company. I have searched here on AR and cannot find anything about them. Anybody have personal experience purchasing Merkel DRs from them or dealing with Lincoln Smith?

Merkel-USA.com is one of the worst internet firearms sites I have ever seen. Very difficult to compare models and sometimes the functions simply do not work. Any recommendations for getting info on current Merkel production?

I am considering selling/trading my extractor 500NE rifle for a new ejector model and am finding it difficult to conduct comparative research.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lost track of the numbers of buffalo my Merky .500NE has killed. When I pick it up and head into the bush with it, it feels good!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote