Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 141E in 9.3x74
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
When I received my new Merkel 141E the regulation target showed that Norma 232 grain Vulcan bullets were used. On the test target, left and right were on only 2 centimeters apart and on the same line horizonally. This was with iron sights as the gun was later modified for a factory scope mount. I was a wee bit worried that the scope would "mess up" the regulation. Not to worry!

I tried some 286 grain Prvi bullets and my first load put them 3" apart at 100 yards with the scope. Iron sights were about the same at 50 yards. I did not try to "re-regulate" as I wanted to see what would happen with Norma Factory Vulcan bullets.

Today I finally received some factory loaded Norma ammo and took the gun to the range to shoot. I had a 3" (I think) diameter bull that pops yellow when hit (Shoot-N-C brand)... see below... they are nice for old eyes.

With iron sights I hit the edges of the target with the right barrel at one o'clock and the left at nine. That's as good as I can hold or see. Then I put the scope on and shot twice. Both left and right were slightly to the right of the center, but almost touching. All of this was at 100 yards. I guess I have a winner!

The scope is a 2.5x Leupold I bought from a member of this forum and it allows me to shoot with both eyes open. It takes all of 5 seconds to remove or replace. The fiber optic front and rear sights are wonderfully quick. The whole deal, including scope and mounts, shipping, three fried monkey tongues and a peanut M&M cost only $5K.

With the barrels having an adjustable regulation feature, I think I'm going to get some 286 grain solids to shoot good and then take the rifle to Tanzania in September as a backup for my Searcy .450/.400.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

I do believe that'll work just FINE! Congratulations on a great acquisition.

After plains game hunting with 286 gr Noslers in 9,3x62 I am partial to them as they were terrifically effective. I wonder how they will perform in your rifle.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Seeing that, I'm sitting here thinking about what my next gun purchase is going to be and I keep coming back to the thought of a double rifle.

What the heck I need one here in California for I don't know but I keep getting the feeling that I do need one.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a shooter!

Glad to see you putting the Anna Nicole thing behind you...

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Judge, you've got a winner there! That thing will take care of all the plains game on that safari, and will make one of the best deer, elk, and moose rifles in North America one could ask for! Top that off with some good solids like Mike's cup points, and flat points, and you got a buffalo getter as well! thumb

Congratulations, now come on down to the 4K in June, and shoot some of those big old boar! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Judge,
That is 5 grand well spent. See you in TX!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
So where is a photo of this piece of trash? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the good shooter yer Honer.

You deserve it and we are happy for you.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't scratch it all up hunting with it, Judge. I may want to buy it from you in a few months. By the way, did you get your Searcy yet ? I don't have any Merkel rifles, but I sure like their SXS shotguns that I have.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Frank:
According to serial numbers, there is one Classic between yours and mine. Mine is at the engravers and then will only need case hardening and bluing. The wood is finished. I imagine two weeks? Most of the time will be shipping between North Dakota, California and my house.

I'll add a picture of the Merkel this morning from work along with a close up of the regulation system.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the rifle:

And here is a picture (not very good, either) of the regulation system. The top hole is for the front sight. The other two move the left barrel up/down or right/left.

I'll try to get a better picture, but I'm late for court!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man ..... I like that rifle !!! As good as the 9.3X74R caliber is, I think I'd like another one in a Merkel.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Above, I substituted a picture that is a bit more clear that shows the regulation system better. Note that the left barrel is not connected to the wedge at the end of the barrel but has the two holes for an Allen wrench, one left/right, the other, up/down. Is there a cam in there????

If it works as advertised, maybe all new doubles will have something similar someday. I sure would beat the heck of trial by error.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge
That is a good looking double and a great shooter.

I have killed a few deer and wild pigs with the Norma Factory load with the 232 Vulcan ullet.

It worked real good, and I think it is a tougher bullet than the Norma 286gr Alaska bullet.
I would not be afraid to use the 232 Vulcan on any game in the lower 48.
The bullet did excellent on tests in Europe [Sweeden I think] on moose.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Norma vulcan bullet is designed to expand quickly, the oryx bullet is a bonded bullet, the alaska is a std bullet. I have had good luck with both the 9.3 286gr oryx and alaska (never used the vulcan but see no reason it would not work well also) and used a alaska bullet on a buffalo with excellent results.

Glad to see your gun is a good shooter!

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vulcan ie Vulkan as in Vulcano has been and will still be a favorite in europe at driven hunts in both x62 and 74R due to it´s almost explosive expansion, when aimed right at the kill zone at wildboar or large deer the results are swift and solid.

Regularly there are no exits as well, a thing that is great when there are beaters about.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Double JudgeG!!!

Congrats!!

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never recovered a Vulcan bullet.

I have an article at home, I am still in Alaska, in either Rifle or Handloader where they recovered several bullets from Moose [in Sweeden I think] in a test sponsored by Norma. Fired from the 9,3x62 the bullets showed perfect expansion, no signs of "explosive" fragmentation.

In the animals I have shot with it there was not any evidence of lead in the wound channel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vulcan bullet is designed to expand very quickly, not fragment or blow up.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you guys tried the Vulcan bullet in smaller calibers?

If you hade then you would know where I come from on this matter.

In my previous moose hunting team it was banned due to poor performance in 30-06 and 6,5x55 especially.

Best regards Chris.