THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Alternate methods of regulating DR's.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternate methods of regulating DR's.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello,

How many alternate methods of regulating doubles are there ?

These are the ones I know of for fixed barrels.

1. Traditional method, join shoot, adjust wedge, shoot etc. etc.

2. ?

For adjustable barrels.

1. Galzan Professional, Krieghoff Classic, adjustable wedge incorporated into sight/barrel clamp, one fixed barrel and one adjustable.

2. Baikal, muzzle barrel clamp with one fixed and one "floating barrel", Jack screw half way down the barrels, floating ribs. ( bows the barrels in and out )

3. Tanfoglio, Adjustable cams or non concentric bushings, inserted into the muzzles.

4. ?

Any other or thoughts on other methods of regulating ?

Thanks

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For fixed barrels, I have heard of someone using Wire wrapped around the barrels and tightens or loosens it as they shoot it. Then once it's regulated, solder the barrels.

The person who I have heard use this method has regulated a heap of DR's - and they all shoot.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fixed barrel doubles: 2. Using a very small all aluminum jig with 8 set screws, adjust, shoot, adjust, shoot, etc. until perfect; solder in place, shoot to check. That is the system, but the rest I hold confidential. It is used in Europe by many gunmakers.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Within reason if the barrels are fixed already changing the bullet weight, or the powder type and charge; all to be done within safe normal load development standards can dramatically affect the apparent regulation of a double.

After I had claw mounts put on my Browning Continental I had to switch from 150 grain to 200 grain bullets to get the same accuracy. If I had known this I would have done the claws sooner!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I diagree with touching the crowns except if the gun does not shoot at all and some (possible) damage / wear to the crowns is visible.

I have seen a non shooting gun fixed by re doing the crowns before the second alternative of re regulating which wasn't needed in the end.

Once the metal is gone, it can't be put back.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto

quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
I have seen a non shooting gun fixed by re doing the crowns before the second alternative of re regulating which wasn't needed in the end.

My Tolley had shitForCrowns, and a very discreet recessed crown job fixed the issues.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's interesting, the other DR where the crowns were done was a Tolley.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was unaware that the K gun had adjustable barrels. I don't believe that mine does. Is this only for the certain (smaller) calibers?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Peter

That is correct, The Classic has adjustable barrels. ( Up to 9.3 )

The Classic Big Five does not. ( Over 9.3 )

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500-

quote:
...the other DR where the crowns were done was a Tolley.

Mine is a 500/450 Magnum 3-1/2" BPE, Jones/BA/Hammers.
The charge prescription engraved on the barrels is 5-1/2 Drams.
It shot for crap before the subtle crown job, now it shoots beautifully with the Hornady 350gr SNRN at 2025fps in Bertram 450No2 brass and lots of Varget.

It rips.
It's got a single standing express sight and a small low front blade.
Cool rifle.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tinkerer

Same caliber as well. That's interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500-

That is indeed very interesting.
The rifle you speak of is only the third 500/450 Magnum 3-1/2" BPE that I've heard of, including mine.

The other one lives up in Darwin, NT

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
500-
That is indeed very interesting.
The rifle you speak of is only the third 500/450 Magnum 3-1/2" BPE that I've heard of, including mine.

The other one lives up in Darwin, NT

Cheers
Tinker

It might be the same one.

I think the Darwin one ended up in Queensland.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean Tony's rifle?

Is it yours now -- or were you working on it for someone else?

If I recall, his had the Giant Grip.
I would love to have had a shot at owning that rifle.

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You talking Tony as in Marrakai ?

No, I think Tony still has his.

In that case, I think it must be a different gun.

I have to talk to Tony today (I just got back from Darwin) and missed him so I will ask him.

He knew the other gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's it.

I'd still like to have his rifle!
I think he knows that though.

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
That's it.
I'd still like to have his rifle!
I think he knows that though.
Cheers
Tinker

You have no hope. I rarely hear of Tony selling anything
let alone one of his DR's !!! LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bless his little heart...

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have known guys who regulate shotgun barrels by judicious chamfering of the muzzle - they take a few tho off the side to which they want the load to go.

These guys swear that most of the 'smiths who regulate DRs do this.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
I have known guys who regulate shotgun barrels by judicious chamfering of the muzzle - they take a few tho off the side to which they want the load to go.

It might be done but It's not the correct way of doing things
in regards to regulating a DR.

Sounds like a few backyard gunsmiths at work IMHO.

They are probably the one's who rechamber 375 2 1/2" to 375 Flanged Magnum
in the old Cogswell and Harrison guns. LOL

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
It might be done but It's not the correct way of doing things
in regards to regulating a DR.

Sounds like a few backyard gunsmiths at work IMHO.

They are probably the one's who rechamber 375 2 1/2" to 375 Flanged Magnum
in the old Cogswell and Harrison guns. LOL

............AMEN to that! Sounds more like backyard plumbers!

..................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably because they are too tight arsed to pay someone to do it properly.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:

nobody i know of, this side of the pond does it this way.
the proper way is to move the wegde and resolder until you get it right, it is not rocket science just hard work Smiler

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote