Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping Doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I need to ship a double rifle to Champlins to have the firing pins reshaped. What have folks found to be the best way to pack a double for shipment? I know to ship it taken down. I was inclined just to buy an SKB shotgun take down case and put it in there, then back in the SKB shipping box. What have others done that has been reliable? Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21388 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
when JJ shipped my Chapuis to me,it was broken down,packed in a factory hard plastic case & then repacked in a cardboard shell,this was taped all around.
I have shipped various rifles using this method with no problems.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Never having been one to pass up a chance to state the obvious............depending on where you are in Texas, and the value of the rifle, you might want to consider driving it to Oklahoma.(Yes, I know "Texas" covers a lot of ground)

When I bought Randy's Merkel I flew from Vegas to Austin to pick it up, but maybe that's just me.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Mike:

When I sent the new Francotte I just got to JJ three weeks ago, I sent it broken down and put into a take down Americase.

That was then professionally boxed by a packing company with styrofoam peanuts in a cardboard box.

I did, however, reinforced all of the openings and corners and edges with numerous layers of packing tape.

The other thing I do, which hurts because it costs extra, is send it next day. I would rather limit the amount of time it is with the gorillas than with me or JJ than worry about a broken rifle.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Mike - load up on the insurance and send it FedEx ground. Check with the shipper, but it should get from Houston to OK in one day (even by ground service).

Registered mail is probably the best service available, but it's more trouble and slower.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I break mine down, wrap each part in bubble wrap and cushioned inside a box full of shipping pellets. FedEx priority overnight. If you don't send priority overnight they could farm it out to a contractor for delivery.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I'm torn on this one. Living in Dallas, JJ is only 4 hours away so I usually drive.

Last time JJ shipped my Jeffery 400 back to me UPS "lost" it for a day and a half.

If I ship something I will pay the extra to get it there overnight.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have shipped my Searcy broken down in a Pelican Case with the interior cut to fit. Worked fine.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. One option I am considering is just giving it to George at the DSC show in January and have him tote it home. That is not that far off.

Mike

Posts: 21388 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it many times and found that a cheap foam lined case woks well with the pieces wrapped in bubble wrap and then the whole thing into a box that fits with plenty of tape. If the box is too big, peanuts work great or lacking them, tightly crumpled newspaper to take up any space.

Insure the rifle for REPLACEMENT VALUE, not for what you paid for it!!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Have shipped my Searcy broken down in a Pelican Case with the interior cut to fit. Worked fine.

+1

Have done the same a couple of times. Shotgun once and DR another.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike my experience with ups is that they don't pay their claims. If you check the net you will see page after page of complaints and law suits.

I sent a air rifle to a smith, on return the $400.00 stock got broken.I owned the gun but they would not take a claim from me. The gunsmith had a run in with ups before and would not get involved, he said it would be a waste of time.

Make sure you have it covered on your homeowners insurance as a special item. Take photos before shipping, of rifle and case. ASk JJ if he needs the stock,send only what you have to. Send it broken down!!!! The first thing UPS said was that it was not packed to specs. I showed them that they had shipped it to the smith and approved the packing, then I was refered to the insurance department.They refused to proccess the claim even thought it was insured.

I would set up a account with UPS and on return You pay for pick up and return of the package, that way if there is a problem you can handle it localy.

I don't know if fed X is better, for a while they would not ship firearms from here. Try the US postal service, they may have something avaible

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
you can have the hard plastic case my chapuis came in if you want it... plus the cradboard box it was shipped in....i'm carrying the chapuis in a soft case....i'd ship it uspostal... priority... with insurance...thasts the way that dale shipped me my chapuis... worked great.. tracking too...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woops, forgot to add ... if going to/from a smith or dealer, best to use registered USPS with lots of insurance!

Diamond dealers successfully use their service. Good enough for them is good enough for me.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Thanks for the input. One option I am considering is just giving it to George at the DSC show in January and have him tote it home. That is not that far off.

Mike, shipping is no problem, but your idea of handing it to George is the best one posted so far! I have one that will be handed to George as well for re-regulating! When I buy from him, I pay for it at the show, but he ships to Texas at Hunters Headquarters (Mims Reed)from Oklahoma, so I don't have to pay sales tax, other wise I'd transfere it at the show to avoid shipping.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a case from www.kalispelcaseline.com

to ship my rifle in, and for future airline travel.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a $10,500.00 double rifle can be shipped via us post REGISTERED AND FULLY INSURED for about $50.00 !

the package must be plain cardboard, or wrapped in brown paper and for either all edges & seams must be taped with brown paper tape.

when you hand it in to the post it goes into its own mail pouch which is sealed. everyone who touches that pouch has to sign off for it. good accountability, isn't it. i believe priority post service is also an option for this registered service.

you can forget ups or fedex. you'll have nothing but grief collecting on a claim, even when fully insured !

they just don't want to pay claims for guns broken. so unless you are an attorney with nothing to do steer clear of ups and fedex.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATED INFO ON REGISTERED MAIL COSTS

FOR A $10,000.00 DOUBLE RIFLE FROM OHIO TO THE CAROLINAS THE REGISTERED FEE IS $22.25

ANYONE WHO HANDLES THE SEALED BAG HAS TO SIGN OFF ON IT.

THE POSTAGE ( PRIORITY MAIL) COST $16.20

NOTE :: THIS INCLUDES INSURANCE UP TO $25,000.00 !!! WOW

SO THE SHIPPING COST, PRIORITY WITH FULL INSURANCE IS ABOUT $ 38.55

COMPARE THAT TO FULLY INSURED UPS OR FEDEX !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote