THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Velocity/regulation question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity/regulation question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From reading this forum, if you have the barrels crossing on the bullet POI, then your loads are too fast.
My lower barrel shoots 1.5" above point of aim at 100yds. The upper barrel is 1.5" low of point of aim. About 1" difference left/right.

Is there a "rule of thumb" on how much a velocity change of "X" will change the POI? I.E, 100fps will make an approximate change of "X", so I need to slow down the load a certain amount?

Or is it all dependent on gun/shooter/load and each gun is different? Still learning about these things

Thanks

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RR, that really isn't too bad for a DR regulation at 100 yards, especially to start. Have you tried different loads and/or bullet weights? I don't know if you're using factory rounds or handloads, but if it's a handload, back off 1 grain and see what happens. That might do it.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handloads, as factory loads are unavailable/not produced.

420gr cast @2013fps with groups from each individual barrel very good. Lower barrel about 1.5" and upper barrel will go under 1"

Light bullets group very well individually, but seperation is about 8" vertically. It shoots the heavier slugs best.

DRSS
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Rockrat,
Could you tell me what rifle you are shooting? IS it the 9.3X74R Chapuis?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Rockrat -

I have found that with my sxs double rifle the rule of thumb holds true and if your barrels are crossing then back off a grain at a time till they get close then go to .5 etc. N.E.450#2 helped me fine tune my sxs rifle. in the end I changed the loads by 10ths.

Heres the kicker, when I changed components for my O/U double I was surprised to find that the starting load shot about 6" apart at 50 yards. in this case I found that reducing the load brought the barrels together. I know this is against conventional wisdom but thats the way it shook out for me.

It sounds like your double is an O/U. you might want to load up a tray of test loads marking the pawder charge with a sharpie on the side of the case. Go up a couple of grs. and down a couple to see wich way you need to go.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a Beretta O/U. Don't have a SxS (yet). Shot some today, lowered velocity to 1700fps and spread is now just below 2" vertically, and horizontal dispersion is now less than 1/2".

Think I will leave it where it is.

On another note,took the Tikka 512 9.3x74R out today also. It liked the Hornady 286gr slug over 68.0 WW760 +WLRM, in Norma brass. 2272fps (28 degrees out, at the range)

DRSS
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Seems to me you are defeating the purpose of the cartridge by reducing loads that far below factory specs.

Me, I'd try a different powder.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's more about barrel time than about muzzle velocity, although the two are related.

Since this is an O/U, your problem is crossing. Try a slower powder for roughly the same MV. Or a heavier bullet.

But as someone else said, your group is adequate for hunting.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote