THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Talley bases question / Searcy rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley bases question / Searcy rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having Butch Searcy build me a DR with his
buily in talley mount system. Does anyone make a base that would fit a holo sight for the Talley bases? Those of you with Talley basis on Searcy rifles - how do you mount your holo sights ?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Call Talley!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have an RMR from Trijicon and I use their mounting base for the RMR. Clamps neatly into the grooves on the Talley Mount system that Butch puts on his rifles. Not sure if that helps with your holo sight question. I can tell you that my 450-400 is deadly with either the RMR, the open sights or with the Leupold 1.5X5 that I have for that rifle. Butch is in the process of building me a .375 H&H Flanged that will have the very same set up. Now that's how to enjoy your double rifle! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that would work. Thanks. Any other opions welcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For John and for anyone that is interested. Here are three pics of my Searcy 450-400. One with the scope and the Talley mount, one with the complete RMR System (RMR and mounting platform), and one with just the mounting platform to give everyone an idea as to how it attaches.The mounting platform just slips right into the grooves in the Talley mounting system and you simply tighten the knob. When you want to take it off you untighten, slide it off and put the sope back on or use the iron sights. To permanently attach the RMR to the mounting platform there are two screws that you put through two holes in the back of the RMR and into the two holes in the back of the platform and tighten(After you first install the battery in the RMR). They are not there in these pics as this is a new RMR. (I gave my other away to one of the PHs this last trip as a tip-he wanted it in a very bad way!) A beautiful way to be able to use your double in three different ways. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - Beautifull rifle & great system. Exactly what I am looking for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks from me too U.E.G for taking the time to post these pics.

You have answered many questions inadvertantly by posting them. tu2

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always my pleasure to help out fellow AR members. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Beautiful rife!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Searcy's fixed bases are the nicest "no nonsense" looking I've seen available on Doubles.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. tu2 And thank you Todd! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Rifle,

I´ve been looking for a way to attach a Docter sight or a Aimpoint micro to "standard" Talley bases, does this mount works on standard Talley bases or just on Searcy rifles.

Cheer´s

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That I don't know the answer to, sorry. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Guy's

My smith (Of 20 bore fame) is making one for me right now. It will mount to the Tally integrated rib and be for the Docter red dot.
If there is a demand he may make more.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Is there a retro-fit option for a Searcy with a standard rib? I would like to have a red dot sight added in the future to my Searcy and it has a standard rib that was not milled for scope mounts.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact I'm in the process of making a base that will slide into the dovetail that the rear sight goes into that will allow the use of the RMR system. I'm sure that I can make one that will allow the Red Dot as well. Us old guys with old eyes need this.
With this system I don't see a reason for the expense of the Talley quarter rib system. But to each his own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch and I talked about this a couple of days ago over the telephone. Unless you want to scope your double as well, his base that will slide into the dovetail of the rear sight sounds like it will certainly do the trick. Smiler For those that want it all, (like me) the Talley quarter rib on the Searcy provides everything that you need for either the scope or the RMR. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
As a matter of fact I'm in the process of making a base that will slide into the dovetail that the rear sight goes into that will allow the use of the RMR system. I'm sure that I can make one that will allow the Red Dot as well. Us old guys with old eyes need this.
With this system I don't see a reason for the expense of the Talley quarter rib system. But to each his own.

That would be perfect. Thanks for working on this solution.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have an RMR from Trijicon and I use their mounting base for the RMR. Clamps neatly into the grooves on the Talley Mount system that Butch puts on his rifles. Not sure if that helps with your holo sight question. I can tell you that my 450-400 is deadly with either the RMR, the open sights or with the Leupold 1.5X5 that I have for that rifle. Butch is in the process of building me a .375 H&H Flanged that will have the very same set up. Now that's how to enjoy your double rifle! tu2

After reading this thread and a couple of PMs to "Use Enough Gun", I purchased a Trijicon RM57 base and RM06 RMR sight, 3.25 MOA red dot, adjustable from Amazon.com (they were the cheapest I could find). Installation was a snap onto the Talley base machined into the quarter rib of my Searcy Classic 450/400 double. Per Vaughn's advice, I used a laser boresighter in the right barrel of the double and adjusted the RMR so that the dots coinicided - then it was off to the range. The laser bore sighting put me 4 inches high and an inch right at 25 yards. Adjustment of the RMR was a snap, and I soon had left and right barrels touching just above the bull. At 50 yards, a few more tweaks were needed to get the sight dead on, but suffice it to say that even with a 3.25 MOA dot and my 60 year old eyes, I was able to place a shot from each barrel within an inch of each other repeatably. The final test was walking down to the 100 yard line at the range where they have a few 12" steel plate targets set up. A shot from each barrel, offhand, produced 2 resounding "clinks", knocking the target over on the second shot. Suffice it to say that I am now an avid disciple of Trijicon RMR sights on double rifles. I can't wait to try mine out in Zimbabwe in April. Thanks again Vaughn for all your help!!!!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are so welcome! Glad that I could help! tu2