THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    FN mono driving band bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN mono driving band bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted
Guys,

What has worked for you guys using, the mono driving band bullets for regulation in you doubles.

I noticed most like NF, S&H, GS custom are not only lighter( usually 50 to 100 grn) but a longer too.

I'd like to use some in my forth coming 450/400, and other doubles just want to know where to start.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably not a good example, but in my 500/416 my GS 380 grain FN load was close to my 416 Rigby load, as I recollect. Other than that, not sure what you are asking. It was easy to regulate with the solids, which was good as they are not cheap!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Just asking if you had to start at reduced charges or increased charges?

I was going to start at 10% less and work up, but wanted to know what others have exp.

Thanks Peter!

eD

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I did, but as I said, mine is not a typical case as the 500/416 is designed to give Rigby like performance, but from a larger case.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 450gr NF's as well as 500gr Woodleighs for my 458wm double.

When looking for a load for the 450gr NF's, I started with my load for 500's and reduced it 5% as I recall. (lighter, easier to push bullets so I saw no reason to go down 10%.)

For the earlier version of the NF's I had to try a couple of different powders to find the right one, but with the later NF's, which have more driving bands, my load, which shoots to regulation and is remarkably accurate, is very close to my 500 load.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote