Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Flanged...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted
I was just wondering about this cartridge.

First, I was wondering if one could take a (double) rifle in .375 H&H (belted), and tinker with the extractor/ejectors and the chambering to make it a .375 H&H Flanged.

Second, I was wondering if one could take a 9.3x74R with very beefy barrels (like the Pedersoli Kodiak Mark IV) and re-bore the bbls to .375 Flanged, adjust the extractors/ejectors and re-regulate it.

Probably a couple of very stupid questions, just was wondering if one could "get" a double rifle in .375 Flanged without a primium.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe both your ideas are easily workable. My sincere advise is pick the 9.3x74 over the 375 H&H Flanged magnum.

I have a H&H 375 H&H flanged magnum and have used it extensively, and althought it is a great caliber, in a double rifle they are quite heavy when compared to the 9.3 which is nearly as effective. 9.3 ammo is also far more available etc.

If you must have a 375 Flanged then buy a good one, dont try and make one out of something else, which will be an expensive mistake.

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
....or you could have a good friend at a gun shop call you while you're at a client's in Miami and let you know you could buy a brand new Searcy in 375 Flanged with a stock that is too short for a WHOLE BUNCH less than a new rifle. Then said rifle could be shipped to Butch for the correct stock length to be installed and even with that cost still be way under the cost of a new gun.
That's how I got mine. It's 150-175 fps less than a 375 belted with the same bullet....but a great caliber.
If you get one, let me know....I'll share some loads, etc.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

My sincere advise is pick the 9.3x74 over the 375 H&H Flanged magnum.

I have a H&H 375 H&H flanged magnum and have used it extensively, and althought it is a great caliber, in a double rifle they are quite heavy when compared to the 9.3 which is nearly as effective. 9.3 ammo is also far more available etc.

+1 tu2 and CCMDoc has a really nice 9.3X74 for sale.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
tu2 and CCMDoc has a really nice 9.3X74 for sale.

Yes he does ! Wink

Thanks for the plug, Dave tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I don't believe both your ideas are easily workable. My sincere advise is pick the 9.3x74 over the 375 H&H Flanged magnum.

If you must have a 375 Flanged then buy a good one, dont try and make one out of something else, which will be an expensive mistake.

I will try tonight and weigh my chapuis 9.3x74r and my heym 375 flanged. My Heym sure feels like it is less weight. I will post back my findings.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Just for the record - my Merkel 9,3x74R weighs exactly 3,4 kg (7.5 lbs) and my friend's Victor Sarasquetta in .375FL weighs exactly 3.9 kg (8.6 lbs).

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great caliber, I have one and a Merkel 375H&H.

I would not recommend doing what you do, if you want one, buy one ready made.

BUT, better still, just by a 9.3x74R in one of the makers ready made (I have one as well by Zoli).

I do not and never have believed in trying to make a Silk Purse out of a sows ear !

Good luck.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I'm not in the market for a .375 double rifle, I was wondering if such schemes were dimensionaly possible.

CCMDoc, if ever I plan on geting 9.3 double, I'm coming to you first! That is, of it's still available if/when that time comes

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
tu2 and CCMDoc has a really nice 9.3X74 for sale.

Yes he does ! Wink

Thanks for the plug, Dave tu2

Doc, I really looked long and hard at your 9.3 but I already have two 9.3X62s. It's a beauty though.

As I have come to prefer the 9.3X62 over the .375, I have also come to prefer the 9.3X74 over the .375 flanged. They just make up into much more portable rifles and I don't think you give up much.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemo .450:
I'm not in the market for a .375 double rifle, I was wondering if such schemes were dimensionaly possible.

Then the answer is Yes.

Alot of DR's were rebored from one calibre to 9.3 or 375 Flanged
in the 70's and 80's - especially by Paul Roberts.

My Rigby was done by him.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just wondering about this cartridge.

First, I was wondering if one could take a (double) rifle in .375 H&H (belted), and tinker with the extractor/ejectors and the chambering to make it a .375 H&H Flanged.

Second, I was wondering if one could take a 9.3x74R with very beefy barrels (like the Pedersoli Kodiak Mark IV) and re-bore the bbls to .375 Flanged, adjust the extractors/ejectors and re-regulate it.

Probably a couple of very stupid questions, just was wondering if one could "get" a double rifle in .375 Flanged without a primium.

Nemo450

Rist of all, we need to get together since I own a fine gun store in Chattanoga, and I grew up in Blue Ridge, GA. I'm sure we can swap stories.

Secondly, if you don't buy CMCDocs Chapuis in 9.3x74, I'm afraid I'll be forced to, since I have already made an offer, and my offers are final.

The difference between the 9.3x74R and the .375 Flanged are very slight, and I have owned both. Good luck with your choices.

Serioul

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
mdstewart,

I would like very much to get up with you. I have kinfolks that live around Cleveland-Benton area, so maybe some of these times when I'm up that way, I'd realy like to visit your fine gun store!

CCMDocs Chapuis 9.3x74R... Cabelas haven't told me yet whether they are going to going to give me a full refund or not. So without funds, I couldn't get it even if I wanted to, and if were still for sale. CRYBABY

:sigh: Enjoy it for me though, maybe you'll let me hold (and maybe shoot) it one day, if/when I'm able to pay you a visit. Big Grin

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Nemo,

The only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask. That said, as others have stated converting a .375 H&H double to .375 Flanged is not recommended and I second their advice to pick up a 9.3x74. In addition to CCMDoc's there was another nice Chapuis in the classifieds recently for, IIRC, $4K which is a great deal, it may still be available. You may want to consider that instead of the Sabatti Cabela's has been jerking you around on.

Cheers,
Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x74r chapuis weighs 7 lb 10oz. Heym 375 flanged weighs 8 lb 4 oz. I was blown away by this. The heym handles soooo much better and "feels" lighter.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
The 9.3x74r chapuis weighs 7 lb 10oz. Heym 375 flanged weighs 8 lb 4 oz. I was blown away by this. The heym handles soooo much better and "feels" lighter.

Very interesring, I assume this because the Heym is a much better rifle over-all.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Very interesring, I assume this because the Heym is a much better rifle over-all.

No, i would say that some DR companies know how to build DR's and some don't.

Getting that "fit, feel and balance" just right seems to be hard to do.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
quote:

No, i would say that some DR companies know how to build DR's and some don't.

Getting that "fit, feel and balance" just right seems to be hard to do.

So I take from this that you don't think very much of Chapuis?

I'm not pickin' at you, just trying to fully understand. Smiler

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nemo

Just look at English guns / DR's. The higher end tend to get it right, only a few of the lower end do. Pick up 5 different Webley actioned DR's, they will all feel different.

The one's I have held, only the one owned by a mate of mine feels any good - it seems to be well made, balances well and feels good in the hands.

The others I have held have felt a bit light Merkel's - unbalanced, heavy.

Now, Chapuis may have improved over the last 4 years, who knows. I haven't held a new on recently.

On a personal level, I could never quote understand why the French needed to go to a double hook system - considering how many millions of guns have been made on the Single hook system.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
500N,

Getting away from the main topic for a minute, which of the modern makers would you say has -on the whole- the best "fit, feel and balence"?

Of the double rifles I have held (Merkle, Blaser, Kreighoff, Sabatti and Heym) I think the Heym had the best fit, metal finish (the stock had no finish!) and balence.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nemo

I haven't really picked up enough of them lately to answer - I might be able to tell you in 3 weeks when I have picked them all up again in the same day.

Until you have held a good, high quality English gun to compare it to, it is hard to compare.

Heym is the one I have held the least but from reports they are good - from people who should know.

Merkels - SOLID, well built, often heavy in the barrels IMHO (I have 2 of them).

Krieghoff - haven't held enough of them.

Blaser - OK, don't like the action.

Sabatti - didn't feel that bad in the balance side, fit and feel to me was OK. Still waiting on the final decision of whether they are up to the task long term.

Sorry I can't be more informative.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I personally think the Heym is a better rifle....however it should be for the cost. I bought this one 2nd hand NIB condition so I am not sure what one would run new. But I would think it would be in the 18-20K range with claw mounts. I think I gave about 4800 new for the Chapuis.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
500N,

Getting away from the main topic for a minute, which of the modern makers would you say has -on the whole- the best "fit, feel and balence"?

Of the double rifles I have held (Merkle, Blaser, Kreighoff, Sabatti and Heym) I think the Heym had the best fit, metal finish (the stock had no finish!) and balence.

Nemo,

You need to make a road trip to Chattanooga on Jan 20th, if you're not at the Shot Show.

I am having an Open House at my store, focusing on Double Rifles and a presentation by Thierry Labat, PH. It will be well attended, and you'll get to put your hands on alot of Merkel DR's.

If you get here early enough, I will invite you to shoot several Merkel DR's ranging from 7x65R to 500NE.

---Yes the Merkel doubles are a bit light in the heavy calibers (well suited for a PH) and may not be the best choice for a plinker. However, the Merkel .450/.400 is one of the best balanced DR's I've ever handled at 10.2 lbs. If you come over, you'll get to shoot one.

And the regulation on Merkels are unquestionable in my opinion. I personally think that the .470's and .500's would be better suited to 26" barrels, but my opinion usually doesn't carry much weight in Germany.

I also like the Chapuis and Searcys (I really like the .375 Fl in Searcy), but dollar for dollar, when durability is concerned, I like the Merkels the best; they are tanks.

Hope you will take my invitation, come over and shoot some doubles, sip on some good Scotch and wine along with some tasty offerings, and have some fun with the rest of us.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
quote:
500N,

Nemo,

You need to make a road trip to Chattanooga on Jan 20th, if you're not at the Shot Show.

I am having an Open House at my store, focusing on Double Rifles and a presentation by Thierry Labat, PH. It will be well attended, and you'll get to put your hands on alot of Merkel DR's.

If you get here early enough, I will invite you to shoot several Merkel DR's ranging from 7x65R to 500NE.

---Yes the Merkel doubles are a bit light in the heavy calibers (well suited for a PH) and may not be the best choice for a plinker. However, the Merkel .450/.400 is one of the best balanced DR's I've ever handled at 10.2 lbs. If you come over, you'll get to shoot one.

And the regulation on Merkels are unquestionable in my opinion. I personally think that the .470's and .500's would be better suited to 26" barrels, but my opinion usually doesn't carry much weight in Germany.

I also like the Chapuis and Searcys (I really like the .375 Fl in Searcy), but dollar for dollar, when durability is concerned, I like the Merkels the best; they are tanks.

Hope you will take my invitation, come over and shoot some doubles, sip on some good Scotch and wine along with some tasty offerings, and have some fun with the rest of us.

Mike

Nemo,

The Scotch and wine are optional. I noticed your signature block, and want to respectfully recognize your traditions and beliefs if they so apply. There's room for us all here.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
mdstewart,

I won't be at Shot Show, abd if i'm free then I'd like nothing better than to come up visit and shoot with you (or y'all).

I very much perfer 26" bbls on most DRs, if only Merkle would make their DRs with 26"bbls and chamber them to .450 NE 3-1/4"...

Scotch and wine... I am much obliged to you for the offer (as I understand such thing are expensive), but I must say no sir, I never imbibe. Mainly due to my Biblical beliefs. Also, I know of many (some are even close kin) whose lives were destroyed by alcohol. I won't touch the stuff. Thanks for the offer though.

I appreciate your respect and sensitivity, they do you credit sir.

Thanks again for the invite, I have to check my calendar, but I'll let you know if I can come!

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI