Find
Notify
Tools

W.Richards 577 Snider
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
Some friends ask me to post pictures of my double rifles.
This is my W.Richards (Liverpool) the rifle, a .577 Snider was made around 1870. W.Richards is not a Westley Richards.
Some time ago I bought it as it was the first double rifle I saw. It was the first of many rifles I restore until I realize that it was cheaper to but them in good condition. LOL
The rifle was almost destroyed but the price was low enough and barrels are almost mint. Serial number was erased, only two last digits (19) on locks, so could not get information from W:Richards
It was restocked and reblued.
I have not find a good load yet but the information on “britishmilitaryforum†is very promising but I have been trying to make my Pedersoli Kodiak regulate and had no range time for the Snider. The W.Richards is next one.
This rifle feels much lighter than the Kodiak even thou it is only 1 pound lighter.
Something that puzzles me is the dog on the action as it is a small game hunting dog on a big game rifle.

Barrel condition is very good.

Me with my rifle.

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin:

What do the proof marks on the barrel flats say? Have they been polished away too? They may provide considerable information.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin Godio:
Something that puzzles me is the dog on the action as it is a small game hunting dog on a big game rifle.

I'm not sure that it's unusual at all. Yes, big game, but only up to a point. The .577 Snider was a transition round intended for the military .58 caliber muzzleloading caplock muskets that were converted to breechloading by cutting off the breech end of the barrel and installing Snider's breech mechanism for iron disc/paper cartridges. It used a 480 grain bullet and 70 grains of black for 1250 fps from a musket length barrel (less from the shorter barrel of a sporting rifle). Think of it as a .45-70 limited to the standard trapdoor load (not surprising that the gun is lighter than the Pedersoli). As such, it was suitable for and commonly used on British and European driven game that dogs were often used for.

Should be a fun loading project and boar hunting with it would be a hoot.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Matin

Are you sure W Richards was made in Liverpool?

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400Nitro,
Most of prrof marks are gone. Only the crown over V on the action and crown over "letters" on each barrel. No numbers or letters.
.577 Snider is a short range cartridge but must be very powderfull.
i have plans for hunting in near future.

Gator 1:
It is not a Westley Richards but a W.Richards.
W.Richards is still workingat UK:
http://www.wrichardsguns.co.uk/

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Martin

Sorry but I have seen a number of W. Richards with Belgium proofs. They were made in Liege from the 1880's to mid 30's?

That is why I questioned if you were sure it was made in Liverpoool.

It is a fine looking rifle and I am glad it seems to have a good home. thumb

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gator1,
Thanks for your concern. I have seen them on another site too but this have british proof marks as long as I know.
I will try to post marks on the action.
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A close up of the dog:

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Very nice ,rifles Martin ,will you test them in water buffalos,when you came to visit me ill introduce you to some local hunters that collect express rifles ,very interesting collection they even have a holland and holland royal .They are the BOERO brothers do you know them .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,
The 577 Snider is a little light for buffalo but it is reccomended for deers and hogs.
I do not know them but would like to. Smiler

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli