New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army&Navy .450 3 1/4"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I may have the opportunity to purchase the aforementioned rifle, and it would be my first double. The value of these rifles varies tremendously, though the .450's do not come up for sale as much as te .450/400 and .470. I will get to shoot it soon, and will post some pictures. I don't really know what to look for in a double rifle besides shooting to check regulation, and what I know about double barreled shotguns and their longivity, top lever position being right of center, etc.

The seller is a friend, and would probally let me put it on lay-away over a few years. The other option is a new Heym.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does it look..? Does it appear to have been taken good care of..?

Are the barrels fine..? As Cal Pappas says, barrels are the only thing that cant be fixed on a double..

Take the fore-tree off...shake rifle while holding it in pistol grip and action...any looseness between action and barrels..? If so it will cost money to fix..

What is the asking price..?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Colin:
My new book is exactly what one new to doubles needs. Chapters on how to buy, repair, a glossary of double rifle terms, how to reload, where to get items for a double, etc., As Pondoro stated, the bore is the only thing that can't be repaired.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Cal's book is immediately what I thought of. Has a complete chapter dedicated to the subject.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
What's a Heym? Sounds like something a cockney bloke eats with eggs. Firearms chosen for sale by the Army & Navy Co-operative Society Ltd were generally of very good quality.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will actually see it and shoot it soon. I would say I could get it for 15k, maybe a little less. It has never been hunted or carried in the field, just range use.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Assuming the rifle, particularly the bores, are in good condition, an Army & Navy .450 3 1/4" for $15K would be a very good deal in my view. tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That would be a steal! If you look at the Champlin website and similar sources, that price is almost like a BPE rifle!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Mike wrote above.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
What's a Heym? Sounds like something a cockney bloke eats with eggs. Firearms chosen for sale by the Army & Navy Co-operative Society Ltd were generally of very good quality.

What Grenadier said!

The firearms sold by the Army & Navy Co-op were made by several makers but were most times the solid quality of each maker from field grade to top of the line!

I had a 450-400 3 inch A&N that was one of the best doubles I've ever owned. I wish I still had it.
..................................................................... CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
450 NE or BPE; makes a lot of difference and 15k for a BP gun is too much.
Post a pic of it and of the markings and proof marks.
Is it a hammer gun?

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this rifle is solid in all respects you have to buy it. I owned an A&N 450 3 1/4 as well and, like Mac, wish I had it back. If you pass please send me a pm.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I have Sabatti 450 NE for $4500 and it shoots like a charm
$ 15,000 is a waste, but each to their own.
Majority of doubles are way overpriced, period

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Any rifle can throw lead, any house will keep the rain out, and any car will get you where you are going. With that mentality we'd all be living in mobile homes and driving Nissan Versas.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any rifle can throw lead, any house will keep the rain out, and any car will get you where you are going. With that mentality we'd all be living in mobile homes and driving Nissan Versas.

...and shooting Sabatti's.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Precisely.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would ask three questions about it and buy it sight unseen if the answers were: (1) yes it is a nitro rifle; (2) yes the bores are excellent; and, (3) yes it is on face.

$15K is a helluva price on a nitro rifle, and about right on a BPE.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Plenty of BPEs out there for half that. Look on gunsint.
It has to be a NE to be worth 15k, to me. And to the rest of the market. Maybe not here.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, I would ask three questions about it and buy it sight unseen if the answers were: (1) yes it is a nitro rifle; (2) yes the bores are excellent; and, (3) yes it is on face.
So, an 11" left hand stock, a conversion to single trigger, and shortened barrels wouldn't bother you? I have seen too much to buy a gun unseen.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Noted and agree!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Well stated. +2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin, I have owned a couple A/N with the last one being a fair upgrade in a 450 3 1/4. Loved the gun and only when I thought my elephant hunting may be slower did I sell it to a fairly prolific poster on AR and he just shot an elephant with it. If you want to PM me with some contact info I will be glad to talk you through what I know about the guns and I can connect you with the registry in Scotland that has all the A/N details from when guns were originaly made with specifics and for whom. Let me know if I can help and having had a few HEYMS as well and loving them too, I would pick the English if it was all it was supposed to be and fit me. If you PM, send me a phone number

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

faint

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

faint

Gents:
In Kansas City on my way home to Alaska after killing two gobblers. It always pleases me to read opinions on doubles. For all of you gents out there who love Sabattis and others, keep it up! The more vintage doubles remaining for Todd and I to choose from the better. If all the Sabatti and Baikal guys come over from the dark side the supply will lessen and the price will rise.
LONG LIVE SABATTI AND DREMEL TOOLS!
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys will still have your overpriced high dollar double rifles. I, and others, will have to be content with our Krieghoffs and Merkels and Searcys.
I can't understand the need to denigrate those who simply can't play in that stratosphere of prices. It doesn't help anyone to continually bash the owners of the lower cost rifles. Really, those guys won't hurt your high end rifles at all and are no threat to you.
Who said there is no double rifle snobbery here? Why can't everyone can respect other's opinions, tastes, and budgets?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You guys will still have your overpriced high dollar double rifles. I, and others, will have to be content with our Krieghoffs and Merkels and Searcys.
I can't understand the need to denigrate those who simply can't play in that stratosphere of prices. It doesn't help anyone to continually bash the owners of the lower cost rifles. Really, those guys won't hurt your high end rifles at all and are no threat to you.
Who said there is no double rifle snobbery here? Why can't everyone can respect other's opinions, tastes, and budgets?

Like dpcd, I think there are very well made double rifles that were made in other countries other than the UK. I've owned examples of many makes that I could never find fault with.

That said I am not a double rifle snob and have nothing against any make made anyplace as long as it is done properly. Unfortunately simply because a firearm has two barrels is not necessarily an indication of quality.

My problem with "CHEAP" doubles is not the same as with a moderately prices double rifle and has nothing to do with who made the rifle but how well the rifle works, and WHERE the short-cuts were made to achieve that price point. A "CHEAP" double that doesn't work properly is over priced at any price.

A moderately priced double rifle, that works properly IMO, is one that is not necessarily the same as a cheap one that doesn't work at all or one that it is a $5K toss-up that may or may not work properly. Below quoted from dpcd, those are not cheap "double" rifles but workable double rifles that can be depended on when the crap hits the fan but may not have top engraving but regulates well and is solidly made.

quote:
Krieghoffs and Merkels and Searcys.

The above makes are not cheap double rifles, but are moderately priced. However one can depend on those makes to work when needed!

Any make that lets a lot of their mistakes get on to the market and try to hide it with bling, is cheating their customers. No amount of BLING will make their product worth even the low price they hang on the tag in the trigger guard. Lip-stick on a pig is still just a fancy pig!

...................................................................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are people, many on this forum, who enjoy, personally, disparaging those who own and shoot double rifles that cost less than the high end pieces they enjoy. That includes any rifle costing less than $15000; you have all seen it. Owners of rifles that perform perfectly well are made to feel like second class shooters. No call for it. It does not help the sport one whit. One can choose not to buy the medium and lower end stuff, and choose not to like the rifles even though they may perform well, but the attacks are personal on the owners. No true sporting Gentleman would do that. True story, years ago, I was showing one of the "English only" double rifle guys my new Krieghoff 450-400. He looked down his nose, though the bottoms of his glasses and said, dismissively, "You should have spent twice that and bought a classic English rifle". He was an ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am one of the guys that have been owning K-Guns (500/416 and 470NE) and have written a lot here a bout my experiences with them. I have never experienced the "gun snobbery" described here with regards to brands. I have seen Sabatti been dumped on with good reason for dremel-regulation. Blaser s2 has also been bashed a little, but that is also for design and not price reasons. Even Baikals have been discussed here without anyone being condecending...

The only snobbery I have seen is from certain people in caliber discussions. "500NE trumps all, if one disagrees, one is an idiot". That has nothing to do with money. 20 years ago the same was said about .470NE, trends change, and there will always be enforcers of current trends....

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
dpcd and others:
I do pick on Sabatti due to the regulation workmanship of the past. Snobbery, no. I am not a wealthy gent (and I'm not a gent, either), just a retired school teacher. I'm not in a financial bracket to be a snob. I also don't make any negative comments about Heym, Searcy, Merkel, V-C, K-guns, or any of the mid priced doubles. In fact, I have directed many who contact me to their location for purchase. A few fellas I personally know have Sabattis and love them and they are accurate. My feelings are directed to the old world quality of vintage doubles. I do not own any post WWII English or Scotttish doubles as my taste in engraving styles prefers the earlier executions. Most of what I say is in jest (even when directed toward Shootaway) but I understand how my words can be perceived. My apologies to anyone I offended. All doubles are welcome at the shoots here and there have been and will be both Sabatti and Baikal and Pedersoli's there. They will be shooting with me and mine and I will be next to the fellas with Holland Royals and WR drop locks, some with amazing provenance. It's all great fun and we all learn from each other's experiences.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Searcys and K-Guns are NOT cheap or low end doubles!. That said, if you have a well-regulated Sabatti they are a good value, just as long as you realize one gets what you pay for. Merkel on the other hand haven't impressed me one bit, especially for the price, and apparently, they have not figured out how to reliably keep them from doubling and please! a PLASTIC grip cap???

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The weather here has not cooperated but I should be able to see, shoot and photograph the rifle soon.

I know the rifle is in good condition, but really have no idea on what it will be offered to me for. At the very least it will be almost at the too reaches of my ability to acquire it. The only reason it can even consider it is that the seller is a friend and would perhaps let me put it on payments over time. So if it doesn't work out, I'll be working on finding something a little more affordable. Most likely a used searcy or heym, or a new krieghoff or chapuis. If the searcy in the classifieds was a .450-400 or .375 flanged I would be all over it.

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the 500 that Butch has for sale @ $9500.00 !

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .500 is just too much for what I would use it for currently.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen I must agree with Cal's post above! I don't for one minute think of Cal as a snob, just a guy who collects what he loves.

I think most gun people tend to talk what they know best and Cal is no different. What he knows is UK doubles, and so collects UK doubles. He also is fond of ultra large chambered doubles as well, so those are what he discusses. I don't consider that constituting SNOBISH attitude. I have one of his latest books and from cover to cover it discusses only quality bore doubles and not one mention of poor quality by any maker, and I'm quite sure he knows when he sees it.

In my case I care more about how well a double rifle is put together, and how well it shoots than how it is decorated or what country it was made in.

My interest is how the rifle works when the owner needs it most. The last of my consideration is what country the rifle was made in. However, I will not buy from a maker that has shown to not care much for the quality of their product, and try to hide the shortcuts with bling! Don't get me wrong, I like beautifully engraved double rifles just like anyone else but when the cost of the decoration cost enough that the money would allow me to buy another working double in another chambering then I can forego the decoration or the name of a particular maker. If that makes me a snob so be it!

...................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

LMAO on that one if it was directed at me for my earlier comment. Me, I shoot Merkels, VCs, and Chapuis. Hardly the "High End" guns! But my comment was in specific response to a Sabatti shooter telling the forum than any double of higher quality than a Sabatti is a waste of money! Reverse Snobbery perhaps?

THAT, is truly laughable!! Now, where is my dremel tool?

clap

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I prefer the English doubles and the .500 NE cartridge. If someone else prefers Sabatti's and the .450/.400 cartridge that is fine and dandy too. If they believe a Sabatti is a better value than an English double or that English doubles are overpriced . . . well they must just be confused. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot this very nice VC in 500NE this weekend. I must confess there was no noticeable difference in recoil between in and my 450.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, big difference on the other end, though! :-) Now that you know you can handle a 500 that easily, you need to get one.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My comment was directed at no one in particular, and you will notice that I did not mention the S word.
Fact is though, there are those who look down their noses at the medium and lower end of double rifles; and continue to imply that their owners are of some lower class of people who do not deserve to own a double rifle. (In some cases that is actually true)
I have seen it and experienced it.
If the foo shits, wear it. If not, ignore it.