New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti 450NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FWIW was in Cabela's in Grand Junction CO today and they had a new Sabatti 450 NE on sale for $3500.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yikes

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it wasn't a 45-70, or 5500 instead of 3500?

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marked at $3499.00 and was a 450 NE.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow. I just called them and they have it; it is a 450 NE for $3799. I asked if it was used; the Gun Library manager said it was new and they are having a special on them.

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Must be a special on ground muzzle guns.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
Must be a special on ground muzzle guns.

yuck

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Man, that is so frustrating - we cannot get that here!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Be careful as you get what you pay for.

Through my website <calpappas.com> several have written to complain about Sabatti doubles.
From Alaska to Zim problems are many. I have just completed a test shoot and written evaluation and appraisal for a noted attorney who bought a ground muzzle .450-400 and it can't hit a barn even if fired from inside the damn barn!

There is absolutely NO WAY in today's world one can get a quality double rifle for 5-6000$ (or less). I was neutral on the Sabatti rifles a few years ago but now I can't recommend them due to the amount of problems they have. Cabelas will repair them and at times Cabelas won't return phone calls of dissatisfied buyers.

So, just be careful.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
Cal is right, This is the business end of a Sabatti that was in one of the local shop. It was a 450 400 3inch. This is their version of regulating.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my trailer wheels had a valve stem hole shaped like that. I fixed it the same way you fix that rifle. Throw it away and buy a new one!

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal

Even though Sab are supposed to have fixed
the regulation issues, you still think that
they are not worth it ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Feels like deja vu all over again......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it certainly does.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
505G:
I still feel the same way.
The rifles are guilder--look nice at the outset but close examination reveals laser cut engraving, very poor wood to metal fit, actions too tight, some shoot well and others shoot poorly, balance is ok, lines are cheap to look at. But that is what you get with a 5000$ double. A step down is the Kodiak hammer doubles, and the bottom of the barrel is the Baikal. A good step up is the Searcy, V-C or the Heym.

I'd rather drive a fine Chevy than a Yugo. If I had to have a Yugo, I'd walk and use the money for something else.

Just my opinions, of course, but I have a love affair with pre war English and Scottish doubles so I'm a bit biased.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I was only anti Sab because they purported to be something they weren't.

I, or probably a fair few could put up with poor wood to metal fit, laser cut engraving, not sure on action too tight but NOT regulating is a no no.

If you are going to spend $5k, might as well spend a bit more and get one of the other
makes that you know work.

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
You can get into a Chapuis for around 5K, thats in the smaller cablers. Going down the French road, you can get more along the english lines but with out the huge price tag. For 8 to 10K you can get into the larger cablers. I would say, all you would need is a 450 400 3 inch. But, a 450 NE or a 470 NE are fun!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a very nice Chapuis in 9,3x74R. Had the factory scope base. A member here's wife saw it at our house and just H-A-D to have it.

It went to RSA with me in 2010 and one-shot per accounted for a very nice Kudu, Gemsbok, Caracal, and Waterbuck.

I would buy another one, but a Searcy 450 NE is the next double on my bucket list.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

I would buy another one, but a Searcy 450 NE is the next double on my bucket list.

Hey Idaho, you'd better check the "For Sale" section on the Searcy website. He's got 2 500s and a 450 available now. Here's your chance!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I've got a Chapuis 9.3X74R, topped with the Recknagel swivel quick detach mounts and Trijicon 1.25X4. Beautiful rifle and it is my "light" rifle paired with the 577NE last year, the 500NE this year. That rifle has accounted for quite a few animals including the lion in my signature line. It's the rifle leaning over my shoulder in that signature picture, sans the scope after the lion follow up. Even with the nice wood, I think I paid $4,500 for that gun. Damn fine value if you ask me.

Shown before, but here is another picture of it:

And while we are at it, a pic of my bespoke round body VC 500NE. Both will be heading over to Zim in 11 weeks for an ele bull and leopard.

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
505G:
I still feel the same way.
... A step down is the Kodiak hammer doubles, and the bottom of the barrel is the Baikal. ...

Cheers,
Cal

I have to admit I love my Baikal. I know it is the moped of the double world (really kinda fun, only embarrasing if your mates see you with it!) but is so much fun for damn little. I have less than 600$ in mine and that includes trigger work, milling for flanged brass, peep sight, etc. I get to mess about with it and learn what I like and don't without having to take chances on a 10K gun.

Do I want a Searcy, Greener, H&H, etc.?? Yes, of course. I also want an evening with Rachel Weisz and I have about equal chances of either happening any time soon.

Besides, as the baikal is just an old tractor spring beat into submission, I can always use it to club something to death without worring about hurting it Big Grin

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was in the Cabelas in Grand Junction today to look at the 450 NE. Only one I saw was $3,799 and it was used and had about 1/2" cut off the buttstock and a thicker recoil pad put on.

Put a .458" rifle bullet in the muzzle on both barrels, and it didn't look like either had been ground any.

Looked like they had a 500 NE and a 450/400 too

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Rich,

I've got a Chapuis 9.3X74R, topped with the Recknagel swivel quick detach mounts and Trijicon 1.25X4. Beautiful rifle and it is my "light" rifle paired with the 577NE last year, the 500NE this year. That rifle has accounted for quite a few animals including the lion in my signature line. It's the rifle leaning over my shoulder in that signature picture, sans the scope after the lion follow up. Even with the nice wood, I think I paid $4,500 for that gun. Damn fine value if you ask me.

Shown before, but here is another picture of it:

Todd. sent you an PM on the Chapuis.
Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote