Find
Notify
Tools

CALIBER CHOICE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Im thinking about a DR exclusively for North America. Honestly it will mostly just be for the woods on the east coast for white tail and possibly wild boar.

I have a 30-30 and 45-70 DR, so Im thinking either 30-40 or 303. Its all just in the "I WANT IT" stage, and I havent confirmed anything with my smith yet. I like rimmed cartridges for doubles. I do want a comercial caliber. Reloading is for magicians.

Im open to suggestions.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
depending on distance, 9.3 * 74r with 15g vulkans or 16.2g ks or 19g tug
Or the .30R blaser.

Both are great on wild boar and deer, (red stag i my case)
Sorry i can't suggest any american calibers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
although not popular today either of the calibers you mention would be an excellent choice. esp the 303- good accuracy and enough power for your needs.

the 9,3 is probably todays most popular caliber but it is a little heavy power wise. like keith said tho, better too much gun than not enough.

beware of using pointed bullets in a 303 double they never work as well as roundnose.

i can help you with sleever tubes for 30-40 but not for 303. who will be building it for you ? you might want to order our catalog of parts for building double rifles $6.00 postpaid
crown press
box 120
austinburg, oh
44010-0126

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking about buying a factory double rifle then calibres such as 7x65,8x57, 30-06, and 9,3x74R are most easily found.

I can highly recommend the 9,3x74R in the Chapuis SxS. Scoped of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Beretta make a nice under/over Double rifle (mod;689)in 9.3x74 and 30/06. thumb
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote