Find
Notify
Tools

QUESTION????????????????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Who installed the picture at the top of this forum, that I copied, and pasted at the bottom of my posts?

I can't remember who it was, and who ever it was also knew the make of that rifle in old Elmer K's hands! I thought he told me it was a WR but 5seventy thinks it is a H&H, and he may be right!

Anyone know???????????????????????

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Mac, don't know for sure, but given what little can be seen, it certainly looks like a Holland to me. Perhaps the side bolsters are leading me.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that a Purdey bite in the extractors?

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It's not his Boswell eh?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a sidelock action and it looks like 577 Nitro caliber. Elmer had a H&H 577 Royal Grade. The Boswell was a 500 in a boxlock action. I had the opurtunity to handle both at his home in Salmon.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
It is a sidelock action and it looks like 577 Nitro caliber. Elmer had a H&H 577 Royal Grade. The Boswell was a 500 in a boxlock action. I had the opurtunity to handle both at his home in Salmon.

465H&H

I think you hit the mark 465H&H! If that is the case then 5seventy is ineed correct! If I'm not mistaken one of his rifles was a Boswell and both it and the H&H may have been fitted with a single trigger. I know at least one was so fitted, and I believe it was the 577NE double! Do you know if the H&H and/or the Boswell were single trigger rifles? I know that this rifle is a 577NE, But I don't know about the trigger!

Ive seen that picture over the years in books and/or magazines, but I simply can't remember where!

In any case thank you for the info!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was a 600.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I always thought it was a 600.

Slider I don't think Elmer ever had a 600NE double, and the one in that picture is a 577NE sidelock extractor rifle with a hiddon third fastener, and I believe the guy who origenally posted that picture e-mailed me about the picture, and said it was a single trigger rifle, but I don't remember him saying it was a H&H rifle.

On Big bore doubles, the only thing I diagreed with Elmer on was his infernal single trigger fetish! I guess Elmer learned that from Will who was Elmer's teacher when he was growing up! Big Grin

Though I was a fan of the old cowboy, I don't have even one of his books, but read everything he wrote in the Magazines and the verious annual journals, but I'll be danged if I can remember where I saw the picture we are discussing! I also have seen a picture in some book of Elmer, in full recoil fireing a 10, or 8 guage paradox, but I can't find that one either! Damn it is bad having a 75 yr old memory! Like Elmer Keith; HELL I WAS THERE,but I just can't remember half of it!

........................................ bewildered

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
It's not his Boswell eh?

I know its not his bosswell--that was a boxlock no bolsters, and had a dolls head 3rd bite. Awesome gun worth the drive to Idaho.

This looks like a H&H royal grade--577. Dont know if Elmer ever had one but he was a gun trading fool and had a bunch of good friends that delt in the fine gun trade. I wish I could have hung on to half the guns that passed thru his hands.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote from Elmer Keith's book "Safari" Page 86. "I also have a 12 1/2 pound Royal H&H 577 ejector that fits and suits me."

The picture of the Boswell 500 shows it to have double triggers. He also had a Westley Richards 577-100-750. It is pictured on page 90 of the same book in its case.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys you've been a big help!

............................. old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:

465H&H

I am so friggin' jealous!!!!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember seeing a 600 Nitro double in his collection but it wouldn't surprise me if he had one as he would just bring one rifle at a time down from his second floor. Always took that one back up and then brought another down. I do know he had a Farquarson single shot in 600 Nitro. His son sold it after his death and I once saw it advertised for sale. It is out there somewhere.

465H&H