New
Find
Notify
Tools

oh chit I did it again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so I didn't really have an open spot in the rack, but I'll make one now. One wm evans 375 H&H sxs ejector model w/ claw mounted scope has found its way into my christmas heart. I don't know if i can afford this christmas heart bit for much longer. but why waste money on cookies and the like when you can have another double. Regulation load is 40 gr cordite and a 300 gr softpoint. Anybody got an idea of what that load will come close to with 4350 or the like?? You'll have to excuse me for awhile - i gotta to play Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
You are cruel Eeker

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,

Was that the one at Cabelas in Ft. Worth? If so I think it's been rechambered from 400/360 to 375 H&H rimless. Those proof marks would be referring to the original 400/360 load. I think correct 375 marks would be 270 or 300gr bullet and 56 gr cordite.

Did you know if it was rechambered?

Good Luck

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:

Look at the barrel flats carefully. Does it say "360" and "Cordite 40 - 300MAX"? If so, on top of the barrels, it originally would have said "40 grs Smokeless, 300 gr bullet". Although highly unlikely, I suppose it could have been a .375 2 1/2" regulated for the 40 Cordite, 300 grain loading of that cartridge, and would say ".375" on the flats instead of .360. Since it says 40 Cordite on it somewhere, it was almost certainly a .400/.360 Purdey NE originally. William Evans sold a LOT of doubles in that caliber. I've never seen an Evans .375 2 1/2", but I suppose it's possible. The .400/.360 used a 2.75" case and 40 grains Cordite drove a 300 grain .366" nickel jacketed bullet to 1950 fps.

If it was a .360, then it's been rechambered and REBORED to .375 H & H. Do the flats show reproof to that cartridge? If not...well, thats a pretty ambitious redo for that platform. It represents going from CIP max 40,000 PSI to 62,366 PSI with less wall thickness in both chambers and barrels. Wall thickness of the barrels was thin to begin with.

If this is an Evans boxlock, it's either a Webley A & W C or PHV-1. Depending on age, the Webley number will be a 5 digit number stamped either on the short rib (between the flats and the fore end loop) or on the left side of the fore end loop itself, tight up against the barrels. What are the Webley and Evans serial numbers?
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote