Find
Notify
Tools

caliber conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
It seems that Champlins is pushing the customer to convert this rifle even before they sell it. Granted, the 458 WM is not the best choice for a DR. It just seems like they might be trying too hard for the conversion. If it's such a good idea (and I believe it is, BTW), why don't they convert it themselves right off and sell it in the more appropriate caliber?

I think it's a nice rifle except for the original caliber, but what do I know...

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thought is that the "prospective" owner may want it original as a 458 WM. Of course, I'd bargain on the price because I wouldn't want it in 458 WM, and would want the 450 NE chambering. As a matter of fact, I just sent a 458 Heym double to JJ for such a rechamber.

Then again, the new owner may want a 450 #2.

There's $0.02 worth.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
458 to 450NE 3 1/4" is the right conversion, cleans up the 458 chamber and leaves the most steel.

JJ doesn't work for Champlin's his shop is merely co-located, this might be the reason Champlin's doesn't do the conversion. That and there are some price risks in doing a conversion - the price for rechambering is one element, but the rifle may end up requiring reregulation and if so then may require reblueing. Another reason Champlin's might not want to do the conversion.

IMO, you need a really good rifle, bought at a really good price, to justify the $'s for a conversion. Last I checked the worst case cost for a conversion was about $1750 and that number is a couple of years old.

Some really good rifles will do just fine as 458's. Mine does. In fact, JJ talked me out of converting it to a 450 3 1/4".

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK:

Since I just sent my gun in for JJ to "convert", I'm curious about the regulation. I am knowledgeable of doubles to some extent as I have worked up loads for 2 different 470's and have gotten them to regulate perfectly with different bullets, powders, etc. Let's say the 458 WM double is quite accurate with a Winchester factory load...one for which it was regulated. If it is then rechambered to 450 NE, would the regulation involve "working the wedge", or would it be more of a matter of just working up loads to regulate in 450?
My curiousity and partial lack of knowledge in this area has my mind racing...thanks for the help.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Garby,

According to JJ, when I was taliking to him regarding rechambering, he laid it out this way:

Rechamber ~ $600

Reregulation ~ about 50% probability when rechambering ~ IIRC $600

Reblue ~ 50% probability if reregulation after rechambering was required ~ IIRC $600

For me it was no question of the $'s, but my rifle is in a different league than most all discussed here with any frequency, so as a % of either the purchase price or replacement cost a rechambering was a relatively smaller amount. JJ talked me out of it after seeing and trying my rifle. He was successful at talking me out of it with the caveat that he would do it within a specific period of time if I shot the rifle a bunch and encountered a problem.

I tried to find a problem with extraction or ejection - and couldn't. Still haven't had an issue of any sort after ~ 700 rounds, eleven elephants, four cape buffalo, a zebra, a klipspringer and a baboon mercy killing.

My rifle is a Marcel Thys side lock. Recall that JJ apprenticed under Marcel Thys, so he knows the rifle, but then is biased too.

If you send JJ your rifle and he suggest rechambering, follow his advice. If, on the other hand, he tells you you should try it as a 458, you should.

My rifle is extremely accurate. My goal when shooting is under 1" at 50yds, four shots, RL/RL shooting off a standing bench. (only done it once - come close dozens of times, but it ain't the rifle's fault!) JJ knew my rifle was accurate when he laid out the probability charts on reregulation when rechambering and the accuracy of my rifle was a point in his arguement. He told me it would be very unlikely that he could reregulate the rifle to be as accurate as it was, so my take was, and is, that reregulation is a 50% probability when you rechamber - period.

My thoughts,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_captain:
It seems that Champlins is pushing the customer to convert this rifle even before they sell it. Granted, the 458 WM is not the best choice for a DR. It just seems like they might be trying too hard for the conversion. If it's such a good idea (and I believe it is, BTW), why don't they convert it themselves right off and sell it in the more appropriate caliber?

I think it's a nice rifle except for the original caliber, but what do I know...

The reason they don't do the conversion themselves, is because the rifle is on consignment, and doesn't belong to them. Once you buy it, then they can do it if you want, and if it were mine it wouldn't leave thier shop till it was done! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK:

Thanks so much...very good info. I totally concur...as much as you may want the "classic" caliber, it's best not to fix what ain't broke...especially if JJ says so.
I'll wait to see what he says.
Thanks, Again.

Gart
DRSS
NRA Lifer