THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Searcy Field grades are being discontinued
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy Field grades are being discontinued
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found this on Searcys web site today:

"Due to all the cheap double rifles being imported, on January 1, 2010 the Field Grade will no longer be available".

So if you are interested in a Searcy it is either 10K before 1 Jan or 18K for a Classic or better at a later time frame.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
he also has listed on the site......Coming Soon, Rigby Bissell Rising Bite Sidelock Double Rifles.....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seen that but have no idea what it means, lol.

What is a Rigby Bissell Rising Bite Sidelock Double Rifle? Sounds expensive!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Seen that but have no idea what it means, lol.

What is a Rigby Bissell Rising Bite Sidelock Double Rifle? Sounds expensive!

One of the most beautiful Sidelock actions ever made.

They were pure style and quality from end to end when made
by Rigby.

Two of the Sidelock double rifle's that IMHO people should aspire to owning are
a H&H Royal and a Rigby Bissell Rising Third bite.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Searcy can make a Rigby Bissell Rising Third bite Double rifle and has to drop the low end Searcy to do it, IMHO he will put Amercian Double Rifle Manufacturing on the world map and do something no one else has done since approx 1921.

Something a certain other company in the US should have done if they had any hint of business sense and manufacturing skill (other than sleeving barrels).

And good luck to him.

Here is the link to a couple of Pictures of what Searcy is making.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/5711031121

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,

I just looked there and the tab for the deluxe is gone. I'm glad I got my Field Grade order in back in October.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
If Searcy can make a Rigby Bissell Rising Third bite Double rifle and has to drop the low end Searcy to do it, IMHO he will put Amercian Double Rifle Manufacturing on the world map and do something no one else has done since approx 1921.

Something a certain other company in the US should have done if they had any hint of business sense and manufacturing skill (other than sleeving barrels).

And good luck to him.

Here is the link to a couple of Pictures of what Searcy is making.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/5711031121

Why does he have to drop the low end Field Grade?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most likely the reasons for dropping the low end model is 1. he does not choose to lower his standards/quality/features to compete or 2. he is simply not able to compete with those he refers to as "cheap" due to overhead, production costs, profit margins, etc.
I realize and appreciate the high regard many have for Searcy products, but personally believe his use of the word cheap in his announcement is a poor choice of words. I would venture that many owners of double rifles costing something less than 15-$20,000.00 do not consider them cheap and hold their rifles in high regard as well. Current owner/buyers of H&H, Purdey, Boss, Rigby's, etc. most likely consider the Searcy's as "cheap" or perhaps even crude in comparison. They are made in one of the "colonies" you know!!
Again, I have heard nothing but good things about a Searcy double but have heard equally good things for "less expensive" doubles as well.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Butch is going to sell a good number of "Field Grade DR's" between now and Dec 31st beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD,
I agree with you 100%. Poor choice of words. Actually my average rifle order is for the much higher grade rifles, in fact I have more Sidelocks on order than any of the others. The Field Grade just doesn't have enough profit to continue it's production.
The proto type rising bite action is finished, and now I'm working on a 470 and 450 for the SCI convention. The 450 is for a customer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Butch,
Always heard that you were a man of integrity and your response to me definitely relfects such integrity, but it certainly was not necessary. I only wish I could afford one of your fine doubles and often review your web site to admire your work and look forward to seeing future offerings. Take care,

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I have a couple of weeks to convince my wife I need a 500 Nitro Field Grade.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

Why not tell her that SHE needs it, but don't mention the measurement or the left handed part. You know, the togetherness thing. Plus, hers would be bigger than the one you are getting.

I'm the one who ordered a LH Field Grade .450 about a week after you did. My wife would never go for the idea I suggested because she reads me like a large print book.

Best of luck.

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There we have it...the perfect way to get two of these...his and hers double rifles..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't help but wonder why Rigby stopped making the rising bite action in preference for his regular sidelock action. Was it cost (that doesn't seem likely) or was the regular sidelock a better action?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
January 1, 2010 the Field Grade will no longer be available".

Now what do I do?
I was hoping to put an order in sometime in late '10

Snowwolfe & Bwana_Dave if you ever feel the need to turn yours loose, keep me in mind.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I can't help but wonder why Rigby stopped making the rising bite action in preference for his regular sidelock action. Was it cost (that doesn't seem likely) or was the regular sidelock a better action?

465H&H

I thought cost was a consideration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cmfic1,

Hey, I don't even have mine yet! Seriously though, can't you get your deposit in this month? You won't have to pay the rest until the rifle is finished. While the Classic is very nice, an extra 8 grand puts it out of reach for me.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
If I hadnt just "kinda snuck" my new Lott in a couple months ago, I'm sure I could get a deposit into Butch.....but we're supposed to build a house next yr, normally mama gives me pretty good rein, but shes tightened them up this year.

Oh well, I guess theres the used market.

Speaking of used, know of any used LH SXS's around?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what's happening with the Deluxe model? It was listed on the website as recently as a couple of weeks ago but isn't there now.

Also can anyone remember what the deluxe model's price was? I seem to recall US$20K but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
Does anyone know what's happening with the Deluxe model? It was listed on the website as recently as a couple of weeks ago but isn't there now.

Also can anyone remember what the deluxe model's price was? I seem to recall US$20K but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers.

GG

Last price was listed at $21,500.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 465H&H - much appreciated.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poop!!

I been ratholing a few $$$ each month, and was about a year away from ordering one.

Can you all say Chapuis? What was I thinking... Krieghoff!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Butch a call. Would not surprise me if he would accept a slightly smaller deposit.
Worth a phone call isnt it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know what's happening with the Deluxe model?

I think it is because the deluxe takes Butch about as much work as the sidelock. The deluxe listed intercepting sears and articulated front trigger. I don't see those listed as standard on the sidelock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Searcy Deluxe in 470 and like it a lot.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about me guys, the suicidal impulse has lifted. I have another offer from someone here on a DR.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go git 'em, Rich!!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote