New
Find
Notify
Tools

Droplock action advantages?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
- locks really need a lot of maintainance?
- stronger than regular boxlock?

Any disadvantages?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Locks - no

Stronger ???? Why when you have a non solid floor plate ?

Disads
Yes, you could lose a lock !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There is just something sexy about Westley Richards droplock! Cool

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Well stated Rusty tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Rusty is right there is something sexy about the W/R drop lock doubles. However there are some real draw-backs to the drop lock used in the W/R double.

A lot of steel must be removed to make room for the drop-locks which weakens the strength of the bar.

The plus for the drop lock is it’s accessibility for cleaning especially in the field if used in foul weather or dropping the rifle in the river, or any hunting in Alaska or the rain forests of Africa.

For this type of locking system the best is the German Blitz action used on most O/U doubles, which is built on a narrow removable trigger group. In S/S doubles the best is the hand detachable side locks which requires no more steel removable than a screw attached sidelock!

Here shows the massive amount of steel that has to be removed in the bar section to accommodate the drop lock!

....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty

I agree.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
COST is a huge disadvantage. Not to mention the others already mentioned. Sex appeal is about the only real advantage to modern sport hunters. If you lived in the bush like Taylor did then it might be easier to perform maintenance on.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The droplocks from my Bradshaw 28 gauge.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. Yes, for showing off to your friends, drop locks are a great attention getter. Every WR I have seen, the first thing the owner did was say; "Look at this!" and proceeded to drop the locks and expound on the utility of doing that.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In a quality English double would take a drop lock over a box lock any day, and a side lock over both of those. Disadvantages . . . you have got to be kidding me.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mjines,
I'm with you ,Mike! beer
Jim

Posts: 29 | Location: Missouri, usa | Registered: 26 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who wouldn't take a Droplock over a Boxlock !!!

I have two, a DR by WR and a Shotgun that was
rebarreled from an Explora to a normal 12 Gauge.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the phrase "Quality English Double" is not in my vocabulary due to budget constraints.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious since I think i read somewhere that the droplock epitomizes the pinnacle of boxlock design and that it dose not have a travere hole drilled in the action and that this makes it stronger. The bar is probably not a weak link against recoil forces anyway?

Still have problems with goverment here and .500 licence, one of the alternatives I am thinking about oter than a .500 falling block double is .375 flanged Bailey can build on his droplock action. Don't know much about double rifle designs and unsure if the droplock system is just another snobbish fad without practical significance. It looks great though, thanks for the pictures Rusty!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norse,
Westley Richards patented The drop lock in 1897 so if its a fad it's quite a long running one, and as the owner of a very nice 12 gauge docs is right. The first thing you do is "say look at this". I must say they are built like a Swiss watch.

Posts: 29 | Location: Missouri, usa | Registered: 26 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Auto incorrect sticks again Mad sorry dpcd.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons early on for the drop lock was the ability to have a second set of locks should you have problems with the first. Remember it used to take a month just to get to the dark continent and then you usually were there for 30 to 60 days and a gunsmith was not exactly handy!

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh and they definetly are sexy!

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote