THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bolts (.375, .450, and .505) Vs .470 Double Shooter's Point of View Video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolts (.375, .450, and .505) Vs .470 Double Shooter's Point of View Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted
Forgive me I'm new here, old hand on a few other forums good members here also frequent, they finally got me over to the dark side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whONoc09xF0

Did a little shoot wearing a camera on my flight helmet, to show shooter's point of view while speed shooting wood blocks with .375, .450 Rigby, .470 Nitro, and .505 Gibbs. While I agree the shoot is biased towards the double, being only two targets no reloads, I'm of the opinion this is all you get when it's truly close. For my current purposes, guiding grizzly / brown bears on the north pacific coast, I find it suitable- except for the weather challenges and weight. Dogleg from here just hunted coastal bear with me, and admittedly I trust his shooting and left my rifle at camp at times. The wet devil's club and alders were just too rough of a locale for a double sometimes. It was a nice comfort when we bumped into two grizzlies at 15 or so yards in thick bush, and when heading out of the tent with the double and flashlight at night when a bear came through camp.

Here's my Merkel "cheap" double getting wet and working for a living,

I love my doubles, I just live and work in the wrong place for them, perhaps. I have a soon to be complete titanium Satterlee Mauser in 9.5x57, with a drop box and Rigby floor plate for six down. That I'll use hard, and its weight will be a treat. Also have the below, really want to tag my own coastal grizzly / brown with it, but how to overcome the weather... I haven't figured out yet. The risk of flipping the river boat and losing it is also nerve wracking.

Anyhow, hello... I'm Angus from the North Pacific coast British Columbia, look forward to chatting here.

I'll have to do a video of the Royal in action as well some day.

http://smg.photobucket.com/use...ps4l9sbxfs.jpg.html] [/URL]

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that is good

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Angus, welcome aboard. You live in some of the best hunting habitat on the continent. You're right....not the best environment for a fine double rifle, but I'm sure you'll make good use of them when you can. Do you know the history of your Royal?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why thank you! We're blessed indeed here in BC and I'm fortunate to call hunting "work" in the fall.

I know only a little, originally a 2 1/2", made just prewar, went back in the 90's to H&H for scope mounts and rechambering to Flanged Magnum, regulated for the 270gr load. Single trigger, or the improved mechanism.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good Angus, good to see someone actually using one.
Do tell us about your hunting as well please, and thanks for this.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard, well this spring I made the move from guide (and client plenty of times like all of us) to outfitter, spelled differently outfitter is also known as heavily indebted. At least here in BC, I bought a 2,100 sq mile / 1.4 million acre hunting territory on the North Coast just south of Alaska. It'll keep us busy, got tired of hunting elsewhere in the world and being asked if I could arrange a hunt like the pictures I show of hunting at home. Well, now we can and do.Smiler Long story short we do mainly Grizzlies / Browns on the rivers by the ocean and mountain goats up top. We have Moose, Sitka deer, black bears etc of course but we're not espressly hunting them yet as we're a small family shop- just not enough hands!

Cheers, and while this forum will cringe, I just bought a baikal .45-70, going to see if it's at all respectable and if so spray paint it and hit the alders. Will be a bit odd seating the Baikal beside the Royal in the safe... But practicality matters!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do covet a hunt with you, need to do major house remodel first. Maybe one day......

From work Todd did earlier, it seems a practiced double shooter can shoot four at least as fast as a larger bore bolt. In Todd's video, extractors were faster than the bolt and ejectors were as fast.

One of these days I'll compare my despised-on-AR budget grade Sabatti 450 NE with my M-70 in 416 Rem and see how well I can rapidly shoot both.

If I ever do get to hunt big bears, it will be with my Cerakoted M70 in 416 Rem, McMillan stock, and Leu 1.75x6x32 with a Premier 4A reticle. Probably a 350 TSX or TTSX at 2600 fps.

Even though Sabatti is not highly thought of here, mine has been re-regulated, stock reshaped and refinished, and then reblued. The work was done by Aaron Little and the rifle looks nice and shoots great. Don't want to mess it up in the rain because it is the most expensive rifle I own.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey Angus: Somewhat off topic, but is there any decent salmon and steelhead fishing in your recently purchased hunting territory and who guides for it?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Angus:
We are almost neighbors. There is a good group of AK double rifle men up here. Stop by for our May shoot. Take a look at calpappas.com for some good double rifle pics and info.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Hey Angus: Somewhat off topic, but is there any decent salmon and steelhead fishing in your recently purchased hunting territory and who guides for it?

Yes exceptional on both, as good as either gets (I'm not selling either so it's a frank recommendation). There are a few options for guides licensed for the rivers here I can connect you if interested, I'm also going to be doing the fishing side but likely in conjunction with hunts for some time yet. When we were hunting bear this month the Cohos were running and in great shape. Steelhead on the north coast is world famous, if googling Kitimat is the closest town and where the operators are out of. I have a steelhead guru as a guide who was hit by a car in a parking lot of all things and now has to go for hip surgery at 32 years old. Sure seems like he could be useful on the rivers fishing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Angus:
We are almost neighbors. There is a good group of AK double rifle men up here. Stop by for our May shoot. Take a look at calpappas.com for some good double rifle pics and info.
Cal

Good stuff Cal I'm in Alaska from time to time and will definitely have to keep it in mind, Alaskans I find we have an awful lot in common with!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
I do covet a hunt with you, need to do major house remodel first. Maybe one day......

From work Todd did earlier, it seems a practiced double shooter can shoot four at least as fast as a larger bore bolt. In Todd's video, extractors were faster than the bolt and ejectors were as fast.

One of these days I'll compare my despised-on-AR budget grade Sabatti 450 NE with my M-70 in 416 Rem and see how well I can rapidly shoot both.

If I ever do get to hunt big bears, it will be with my Cerakoted M70 in 416 Rem, McMillan stock, and Leu 1.75x6x32 with a Premier 4A reticle. Probably a 350 TSX or TTSX at 2600 fps.

Even though Sabatti is not highly thought of here, mine has been re-regulated, stock reshaped and refinished, and then reblued. The work was done by Aaron Little and the rifle looks nice and shoots great. Don't want to mess it up in the rain because it is the most expensive rifle I own.

I'll have to practice to be in any shape to show my reloads... To get the picture here's me reloading on lion, ain't gonna impress anyone. I can shoot but once the gun's empty I'm below the average double operator to be sure.

http://youtu.be/4VYOE-xRu5k

Hey... The Sabatti (or even Baikal in my case!) that you use beats the dozen Hollands' Royals in the safe folks are too afraid to use. Admittedly I have one of those, a bit awkward to be forging memories with cheap guns but that's reality. I find shooting larger guns quickly helps a lot, focusing on knocking down successive targets puts your mind on the game not the group on paper and the recoil. It becomes fun and you forget it's a big gun, also much better practice for the field. My favorite shooting is shotgunning, I like the action and dynamicism, this follows the same thinking. I certainly need to incorporate and work on reloads admittedly in my "game".

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Angus:
Cal

Good stuff Cal I'm in Alaska from time to time and will definitely have to keep it in mind, Alaskans I find we have an awful lot in common with!

Angus:
The first or second Saturday in May we have our first Alaska double shoot of the summer. I will post the date in January here on AR. You're welcome to attend. We've had gents as far away as New Zealand come and a few fly up from the lower 48. On average 40 doubles show up from .350 Ribgy (3 at the last shoot, up to .600 and 4-bore (also 3 at the last shoot). We break at noon for burgers and dogs and cold drinks. See if this can fit in your schedule. There is a gent from eastern Canada who is an encyclopedia of knowledge on double rifles and he owns a double that puts all of the other ones we own to shame. He may attend.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I'm very interested, appreciate the invite Cal, I may just fly in especially if I'm in the Yukon in May. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks Angus! tu2 I'll be checking it out! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
Now I'm very interested, appreciate the invite Cal, I may just fly in especially if I'm in the Yukon in May. Smiler

Do so, and one of us will get you at the airport or, if you rent a car, you can come to my place two hours north of the city and stay at my home and I'll drive you to the shoot.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal that's too kind, will do my best to show up with the Royal. Side note had a look at your site, impressive, hopefully we get to chat in spring.