Find
Notify
Tools

Westley vs. Holland
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
If I was lucky enough to have $75k for a 500NE DR, and I was looking at a 1920s Holland Royal, with no case, and a 2000-ish Westley Droplock, with case, what are the pros and cons of each aside from fit, finish, wood, how it shoots, etc?

And, no. I am not buying, but I know someone who might be.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Some like redheads some like blondes. I am sure you will get opinions to support both rifles. My $0.02 assuming that the rifles are both mechanically sound. I would not even blink or hesitate. I would take the pre-war Holland & Holland Royal. There are simply no finer rifles that have ever been built. They are regulated superbly, fitted to perfection and similar to the drop lock, the locks are removable. Today the metallurgy may be better, certain manufacturing techniques may exceed those of the past, but the craftsmanship and artisanship of a pre-war Holland & Holland Royal simply cannot be beat. And you cannot underestimate the historical value of holding that old Holland and being taken back to a different time and place. My guess would be that the Holland will also hold its value a little better too long term.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Either way I would highly recommend having both guns evaluated by a great gunsmith before plunking down that money. Hate to spend $75,000 on a gun to find out it's got cracks in the head of the stock. Then again if you can spend that much what's another $6k for a new stock. Another thing to check for is originality if it has those claims.

That or I could build you four droplock doubles. Big Grin

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I concur with Hunter Jines on this. Now if a guy asked which is better a Westley Richards droplock versus a Holland & Holland sidelock each made in 1930 it would be tough to decide. But a modern WR versus a pre-war Holland & Holland? No question, the old H & H.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
My vote would be for the 1920’s Holland & Holland. Mike hit the nail on the head with his comments IMO. Also, there is something to be said for that fantastic stock design and handling of the 1920’s Holland & Holland.

For those of us that just can’t seem to bring ourselves to drop $75-$100K on a H&H (instead of dropping it on another hunt in Tanzania) there is a modern gun maker, that many of us know and love, who offers a double in their special model line with the special 1920’s Holland & Holland stock design.

I probably sing their praises a little too often so to not sound like a spokesperson or advertisement I will refrain from mentioning their Gleichamberg factory’s name. :0)

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who ?

Heym ? Merkel ?

Morten

Heym Smiler

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would follow MJines advice.

Enviable position to be in.

However, a lovely, bolstered, hand detachable sidelock Royal.... Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mike! Having said that, I lust for a Westley Richards droplock.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
A well-known contributor once complained that a certain prestigious brand was inclined to come off face within 30 shots when made in the bigger calibres, blaming the lack of a third fastener.

Incredible as that sounds, I would bear it in mind when making my choice.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I agree with Mike! Having said that, I lust for a Westley Richards droplock.

I also agree with Mike, for mike, but for me I would spend the 75K for three nice new Heyms in different chamberings!

................................................................... patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fine dilemma.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Pass me the WR DL

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given my druthers, I would take the Westley Richards every time. For me, nothing else has the sheer class and utility of a WR boxlock double with "hand-detachable" locks. Not to be a snob, but that is the correct terminology. "droplock" is an Americanism, invented by Lord knows whom.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have taken the Holland&Holland..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Oh, bollocks - just take them both. Smiler

Taht bullshit said, I'd reckon the H&H would hold its value forever, but if I wanted to use them, I'd handle both and choose.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I would get the new drop lock...

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Rifles, automobiles, women…anything old over anything new.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
For that money, I would buy a Verney Carron and two elephant hunts to go with it.

If pressed, I would take the WR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
For that money, I would buy a Verney Carron and two elephant hunts to go with it.

If pressed, I would take the WR.

Totally agree tu2

I am wondering what the heck it is with all this old iron thing ? Roll Eyes

Morten

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:

You have to taste fine scotch to appreciate the difference between fine scotch and rubbing alcohol . . . you have to experience a fine cigar to understand that not cigars are created equal . . . once you have owned a fine automobile it is impossible to go back to a Yugo . . . Cool

To put it in double rifle terms, someone that has only ever owned a Sabatti may find it difficult to appreciate a Merkel, the Merkel owner may not appreciate a Verney Carron or a Heym, a Heym owner may never appreciate an English double . . . everyone tends to gauge these issues based on what they have owned . . . maybe they are being objective or maybe they are rationalizing, who knows.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
If I found a 1920s H&H Royal in decent condition with good bores in 500 NE for 75k I would run not walk to buy it. If I found a 2000s Westley Droplock I would think it over but probably pass. The Royal is a much finer gun in a rare chambering.

Nothing against the WR, it's neat but not in the same league.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:

You have to taste fine scotch to appreciate the difference between fine scotch and rubbing alcohol . . . you have to experience a fine cigar to understand that not cigars are created equal . . . once you have owned a fine automobile it is impossible to go back to a Yugo . . . Cool

To put it in double rifle terms, someone that has only ever owned a Sabatti may find it difficult to appreciate a Merkel, the Merkel owner may not appreciate a Verney Carron or a Heym, a Heym owner may never appreciate an English double . . . everyone tends to gauge these issues based on what they have owned . . . maybe they are being objective or maybe they are rationalizing, who knows.

Cool

So Mike - if I visit Dallas next year you have to guide me to Champlins or similar to look at some good Yugo from HH ? Then you will be able to tell me the differences and reasons etc etc... Maybe I will be convinced ? Wink Big Grin

Morten

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No one will have to tell you anything or even say a word to you . . . when you pick an old English double up and handle it, point it, open the action and close it, feel the balance . . . you will be convinced.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one will have to tell you anything or even say a word to you . . . when you pick an old English double up and handle it, point it, open the action and close it, feel the balance . . . you will be convinced.

Not to mention the svelteness of a true splinter forearm instead of those abominable beavertail clubs that were put on the re-emerging, modern double rifle market to simulate the feel of over and under shotguns which many became familiar with as the only form of double gun readily accepted during the period the traditional DG double rifle market nearly disappeared due to the introduction of cheaply made 458 Win Mags!

But, I don't hold a strong opinion on it or anything!

Whistling

Funny how those modern double rifle makers are slowly but surely modifying their designs to mimic the old English doubles!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely the H&H over the newer WR. However, if I were to have a new DR crafted today I would not hesitate to choose the WR drop-lock over all others with price being a decided factor for fit/finish/quality. Can't justify the cost of a H&H or Purdey when a new WR drop-lock is about half the price. Just my 2 cents.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is a damn good point Mike. It is funny, if I was to order a bespoke English gun today, I would much prefer the Westley Richards over a current manufacture Holland & Holland. The current manufacture Holland & Holland's just do have the same quality look and feel as the older Holland's.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, don't think any firearm today has the feel of a pre-war English double.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will

As you hear the echo, that era of Holland's seems to be a benchmark. Although you can see it, if you have shot many SxS, whether shotgun or rifle, it will be your hands that speak to you. The current H&H doesn't feel the same as Mike said above.
The Webley actioned box lock double rifles, both the PHV-1 and the A&WC of that same time frame are overall the best feeling as a group to me. That balance and feel are what put sights where they need to be in a hurry and that is what a double rifle is about for me.

We can say it is a question of fit, but I wonder why with so many different individual builds (people), this era of rifles remain very popular. And I would stretch that to say that the more experienced a person becomes with the shooting and hunting of an open sighted double the more likely they are to be of this opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-war H&H Royal (built in 1906) and had a pre-war Westley Richards box lock (not a drop lock).

I was able to handle and compare them at the same time. To me the H&H handles like a sports car, where the WR handled more like a nice truck (I like trucks and that's what I drive).

I got exactly what I paid for the WR when I let it go and I know I can actually make money on the pre-war H&H Royal if I decide to let it go.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming the bores are good, give me the H&H. I really like Westley guns but a Royal from that vintage is something special

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a book titled "A Fine Italian Hand"
It would do many good if they were to read it but then again, some are beyond recognizing the very subtle differences in quality.

I know it is not popular on this site to crave the English over others, but that subtle differences make the difference (to me). I have seen very few German guns that have the "fine hand" of the English and not all English guns are quality. Some will never see it. Just like a good cigar, scotch, car or painting, that level of execution is not discernible to everyone. I am happy I fall under this group when it comes to wine. I enjoy many cheaper wines while some others will not drink them. Watches are the same. A quartz watch keeps better time than almost any mechanical watch which costs a thousand times as much. But admire that movement !
I have two older BMW's, one is a 528 the other an M5, both he same body style. My wife says they drive the same except the M5 is faster. She can not appreciate the handling or feel of the M. Ignorance is bliss...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, just took possession of a H&H 16 bore paradox hammer top-lever and it feels so sweet. Will try to get some pics. You can just taste that pre-war feel.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I know you are not partial to the top-lever hammer guns but I would bet you would like this one!

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wink tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Vintage gun. A pre war H&H royal in .500. What more do you need?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Cal, I know you are not partial to the top-lever hammer guns but I would bet you would like this one!

Dutch

Yes, I would! A work of art.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
what of velocity is the 16ga paradox loading? 1050, 1200? I had a magnum 12ga regulated for the 1500FPS load. That thing killed on both ends, just plain brutal.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I would take the Royal in a heartbeat.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So Will, when do you plan on telling us what decision your friend ultimately made . . . please do not tell us that he decided to buy a Blaser S-2 on close out. Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
So Will, when do you plan on telling us what decision your friend ultimately made . . . please do not tell us that he decided to buy a Blaser S-2 on close out. Wink

No money has changed hands and the talks continue. However, I provided a bit of misinformation in the OP. It turns out the Holland is a 500-465 rather than a 500NE.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote