Find
Notify
Tools

scope mount for sabatti DR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted
Trying to regulate my sabatti 450/400 (Non-dremel variety!)I think a scope would remove some of the variables associated with aiming. Where can I find scope mounts? Any info appreciated

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
You are right, of course, that a scope would remove some of the variables with aiming. Installing bases may be the issue. I have not tried a scope but have tried apertures on doubles. One is adjustable and one is fixed. Try Jim Brockman of Idaho. He does good work and may have a solution on the scope question. brockman@brockmansrifles.com

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a non dremmel 450 NE that came with a weaver style scope base. I am sure that one could be ordered. I also believe that a good gunsmith could make something work for you from some other type of base or fabricate one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
emron, I thought that the Sabattis came with Weaver bases. If you bought it from Cabelas but it didn't come with one then call them. Hopefully the'll be able to help you.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is Mr. Brockman's contact information.

Thanks

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Sabatti bases (new still wrapped) that I have no use for. I am just headng out the door to the airport for Kazakhstan and will return mid-December so couldn't ship until then. If you are interested PM me.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
emron, I thought that the Sabattis came with Weaver bases

Although I picked mine up some time ago, it did not come with any kind of bases. Is this new policy or some of the returned\one offs? Just curious as I really don't have a desire to put a scope on my double.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Appreciate the input. Boxhead, I will PM you. Doubt Cabelas will provide the bases. I called, and they acted like they had no idea what I was calling for. I have to say, I always get answers on AR, great bunch of guys!

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judge Jerry:
What is Mr. Brockman's contact information.

Thanks

brockman@brockmansrifles.com

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
quote:
emron, I thought that the Sabattis came with Weaver bases

Although I picked mine up some time ago, it did not come with any kind of bases. Is this new policy or some of the returned\one offs? Just curious as I really don't have a desire to put a scope on my double.

My understanding from what I've seen in the Cabelas advertising and when taking with the guy at the Cabelas booth at SCI is that they've been supplied with the base for at least the last 2 years but I may be mistaken as I didn't buy one. Almost did but am holding out for a V-C or Searcy once I've hidden enough money from my accountant (wife).

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am sure you have already done so, but check the hard case thoroughly. Mine came with the base although it was just a separate piece in the case.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My 450 came with a base but it is just a flat Weaver base, so get some blank Weaver stock from Brownells and drill it and screw it on. I seem to vaguely recall 8-40 screws, but check your rib first. Lock tite them in as they will loosen easily.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be predrilled for weaver bases. I drilled out the holes to bigger screws because the tiny ones from the factory gave me concern.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Learn something new everyday- after digging through the case, there was more than paperwork there. Indeed, a Weaver base was amoung the paperwork from Cabelas and items the gunsmith had left from items I had him change out.
Emron - have you tried installing a scope on yours yet?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of one that I put on my Sabatti 45-70. You'll notice that I was using low bases on a Leupold 4x32mm scope. The problem was the bell would rub against the rear sight if I didn't push it way forward. I've since changed this by buying medium QR Leupold rings and changed the scope to a Vortex Viper 2-7x.

Emron-I think if you put a 1-4x20mm scope you should have no problem with the bell hitting the rear sight with low bases.

I would poast a new photo of it, but I'm deployed to the Caribbean for the next couple of weeks. Nothing like fun in the sun while it snows back homeSmiler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote