THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First range trip with the Chapuis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First range trip with the Chapuis
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Started off with 62 grains of IMR 4831 and the 286 gr Woodleighs. Since the range closed early I had to improvise on a target stand so the conditions sucked. Iron sights are bright but seem sort of crude for serious work. I sat at the bench and put a pad under my arms and tried to shoot one shot from each barrel as quick as possible. With the sun in my face I was getting about 2 inch groups so I moved up to 63 grains and the groups tightened about 1/2 inch. Next trip out I will load up some 64 and 65 to see what happends. None of the loads are crossing.
First day at the range with the new rifle. It seems to be ok and the point of impact is reasonably close to where I am trying to hit. The rifle was shooting just a tad to the right so I tried to move the rear sight to the left with a brass hammer and I could not budge the sight. I ended up cracking that orange disk inside the rear sight. How do I get a replacement? Is there a trick to getting the rear sight to move?
I may add the scope for the load developement. I did not purchase the claw mount. Do you just remove those nasty skinny screws holding the blocks in place on top of the barrels?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What distance were you shooting and what primer did you use?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 yards and Fed 215's.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

I would not worry about adjusting the sights until I found the proper load.

Contact JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms in regard to replacing the orange inserts on your rear sight.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote