New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 or 600?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys I just recently had my VC delivered in 500ne and I absolutely love it. In fact it is such a well balanced gun that I find the recoil much lighter than my Sabatti 500 that I bought to practice with for 12 months till the VC was made.
So I am now thinking of going up to the next level.
I Need advice as to the availability of brass and projectiles for the 577 and 600 Considering that I am in OZ!
Also , from those that have hunted with these calibres, what is better in penetration . Have read that the 600 doesn't penetrate as well as the 577 but obviously hits harder.
I will be hunting buff and ele with the guys from CMS this September with 2 of my mates, and will be using the 500 but really Pondering on going up a level for the trip after this.
Also advice on barrel lengths and overall weights would be appreciated. My 500 weighs in at 11.5lbs and has 25.5 " barrels.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Nick, I too ordered a V-C .500 (my favorite calibre) and later ordered a V-C .577. Both are outstanding guns. I chose the .577 and have absolutely no regrets on my decision. Currently plan on taking both to Zim for Jumbo next year. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Nick,

You've found, just as I and many others have, that a well-fitted double in a big caliber doesnt have to weigh a ton or beat you up. My experience with all of the V-C's I've had and shot is same as your own.

I think the penetration issue has been put to rest with the work that Michael458 and srose have done and posted both here in the Double as well as the Big Bore sections.

Having said that, I don't think either a Cape buffalo, an elephant or any game no less hunter could tell the difference in efficacy between a .585 out of a 577NE vs. a .620 out of a 600NE.

My AHR 600 Overkill bolt action weighed around 12 pounds. My Verney-Carron 600NE weighs around 13 pounds. I'd want a 577 to weigh about 12 pounds.

Barrel lengths - I've had 23", 24" and 26" barrel lengths on my big-bore doubles. I'd say no one can tell the difference on either end, I just like the look and feel of the longer barrels.

Good luck on your upcoming safari. My Verney-Carrons have recently accounted for elephant and leopard. I am quite certain yours will do the same!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Now Gentlemen there is some sound advice! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
A 13LB 600 would not be for this guy!!!

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:

That's why I've asked Verney-Carron if they can lighten mine up a bit ... Wink

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Nick, I too ordered a V-C .500 (my favorite calibre) and later ordered a V-C .577. Both are outstanding guns. I chose the .577 and have absolutely no regrets on my decision. Currently plan on taking both to Zim for Jumbo next year. Big Grin

Once again I had to read a line that had "Zim" and "Jumbo" twice because the first time I read it, it looked like you were hunting with Jim Zumbo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:

That's why I've asked Verney-Carron if they can lighten mine up a bit ... Wink

yikes..... Eeker

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
McKay,

Given my small stature, the recoil just throws me into backflip and I land on my feet for the second shot. Big Grin

The best part of that scenario is that if the first shot doesn't stop the charge, I move back at about the same rate as the animal moves forward. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
McKay

How much does your Heym 577 weigh?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
14LB even.

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac
Thanks, I do not think I would want one any lighter...

I like to shoot my doubles and hunt with them as much as possible.

Heck if I had a 577 or a 600 I would be hunting deer and wild pigs with it. shocker BOOM

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all whom replied! A question to Doc and also Don, what length barrel are your 600 and 577 respectively . ALso where can I order brass for these calibers? I am keen to use the CEB projectiles where can I sorce these from in AUstralia or can I get them shipped from USA .

Nick

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
A pleasure Nick
Barrel length on my 600s - I've had both 24" and 26". The one I have currently is 26".

Brass - Bertram, Horneber and Kynoch (Kynamco) are still manufactured. You can get Kynoch direct from Kynamco - 2 years ago it was $13USD per new piece but they did have some 1X fired for less. Horneber does a run every year or so - email Dieter. I'm not sure where, aside from the manufacturer to get either of these or Bertram by you locally.

Email Dan at Cutting Edge Bullets about getting some CEBs.

Best of luck with everything

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day Nick.

I am currently loading C.E.B's in Aus for use in my 500 M.D.M and will also do the same for my .500 N.E when completed and delivered by V.C

Daryl Lenkic in Sth Aus will be bringing them in shortly and until that happens Dan has an international exporter that charges quick reasonable for lots of 20lbs.

If you need contact for any of the above or would like further info feel free to email me on; ssahuntinfo@optusnet.com.au

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, nice gesture.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Thanks for your offer,I will send you an email tonight

Cheers
Nick

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick,
I also have a contact who brings in the "NORTH FORK" bullets which are worth consideration.
Ad

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Nick, in answer to your question, my V-C .577 has 24" barrels. FYI, it weighs 13# 10oz. which IMHO is the correct weight for calibre. I too prefer the CEB BBW #13 bullets. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Some fine gentleman helping out friends in the shooting sports.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Some fine gentleman helping out friends in the shooting sports.

Mike

Most of the folk here are just that way - a few, not so much. Sorta like life in general.

beer to the good folk who seek to help others