Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy field grade
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted
I have decided to get the searcy in 470 nitro, I also want to add the following options night sight, upgraded wood, teardrop, and express sight with two folding leafs. My question for everyone is would you change anything and why? Would you go with the 470 or another caliber?

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a .450. Same power level and more bullet weight options for reloading.

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a leather covered pad. Butch does a great job on them, and I think they are worth every penny.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with either caliber...I have taken bull elephant with both. I like your choice of options but would add sling eyes "just in case".

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good insight, I want to stay 45 cal. or larger, I already own a 416 rem and want a big gun for my double. I love the look of folding sights so will keep them and will definitely add leather wrap pad and sling mounts on my list, not sure about the a scope mounts, but give me reasons to change my mind

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
460 - for reference, below is a photo of my Searcy Field Grade in .500NE. Options inlcude upgraded wood, leather covered pad, case colored frame (free option), and makers name inlaid in gold. The look I was going for was the old Westley Richards "Gold Name" model.

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I had the integral Talley bases installed on my Searcy Classic 450/400, and I am glad I did. As the eyes start to fail, I am sure it will become my double of choice. As is, it is a genuine 100 yard (or better) rifle with the Leupold 1.5-4x scope attached.
Mangwana

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point, I will have send me a pick when I am ready to order the rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice double SS74, I was also thinking color case hardening how much extra was the gold inlay?

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't know how much the gold cost - I got a package deal from Butch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch is true craftsmen, I cann't wait until I can order my own, I am putting the wife through nursing school wriite now so I will have to wait a year. But the wait will be worth it. Cann't wait to be a member of drss!

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with the 450 NE choice. I took mine out to the range today before the snow storm arrives. This gun shoots better than i can.

Sorry about that Mike. Big Grin

Posts: 758 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Were you holding the rifle upside down? Eeker tu2

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I agree with the leather recoil pad and scope mounts. I'm having Butch build one just like Subsailor's but in a 450/400 and with tear drops. Will be sending him the deposit within the month.

I would recommend going with a 500NE instead of the 470NE or 450NE if you reload. If you don't reload but plan to shoot your NE very much, you might as well order the "Rising Bite" model because money isn't an object for you! I mention the reloading angle because, there are fewer options to purchase factory 500NE ammo than 470NE. But being a reloader, finding components and in stock is never an issue. I've been loading for my 500 since early 2008 and have never experienced difficulty in finding components. I've made frequent orders as well as I do shoot that rifle often. IMO, the 500 is not much of a step up in recoil over the 470, but does offer a significant step up in performance. If you can have more performance, at the same price, without more recoil, with equal availability of ammo, why go with the lesser of the two?

Considering the number of different types of bullets available, remember this is a double and as such, you will probably find 1 expanding bullet and 1 solid bullet to use. I doubt there will be much deviation from that once you find what works in your gun. Also from a reloader's standpoint, I think you will find the same manufacturers making the same bullet types in ALL the calibers mentioned here. Bottom line is you are probably not going to be shooting bullets of different weight in your double. That is not a hard and fast rule, but usually the case. As an example, there was a mention of "all the different bullets" available for the 450. Should you choose that caliber, you will more than likely encounter great difficulty in getting your rifle to regulate with 400gr, 450gr, 480gr, 510gr and 500gr bullets; and then again, in different makes and models? I just don't see it happening like it does in a bolt rifle. You are probably going to find a 480gr bullet with a similar meplat and shape that the rifle was regulated with, at the velocity it was regulated with (probably 2,150fps) and be done with it. Just something to consider.

I would choose my double from the standpoint of the level of performance on game you desire rather than what bullets are available. Maybe that isn't the best way to say it as obviously you can't get performance without the bullet being available. I just haven't experienced difficulties with finding the bullets I want to use with the exception of Woodleighs for some reason. The USA supply seemed to dry up toward the end of the year. No problem, I went to the CEB's and I'm not going back! Excellent premium and non-premium bullets are offered in all DR calibers by most of the bullet manufacturers today. Ammo availability isn't the issue it was 20 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.470 is a great caliber and it is what I shoot. However, I feel if you plan to shoot a lot, and you reload, a .450 caliber which uses the cheap and common .458 diameter bullet may be the way to go. For loaded ammo the .470 round is stocked by more retailers than the various .450 rounds so it can be easier to buy. I like the penetration offered by the .500/.416 but it is not a traditional Nitro express caliber. .500 nitro is a great round but has even more recoil than the .470. Anything over .500 is just for bragging rights with lingering issues about penetration due to the larger bullet frontal area.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will stick with the 470, I don't think i will ever be able hunt anything but buffalo and if ever do get a chance to hunt tuskless it will work for that to, but the 500 is a very close second, I do not think I could go wrong with either

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The comments are all good the only thing I would add to the mix is While I like the 450, I would recommend the 470 if you ever think of selling. The 470 will be easier to sell. I think with the increasing availability of 450 rifles and other calibers and the ammo to feed them this may change but for know the 470 would be my choice.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes ar and drss have been very helpful all the members of the double rifle forum seem to to be very knowledgeable and have been great to read over the years

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with 470 because of resale potential, but that was six years ago, and as noted above this may be changing. I just ordered a new double, and went with 470 because I have been handloading it for years, have a supply of components, and see no need to change.
I started casting lead bullets for cheap, low power practice ammo and recommend that path. It's fun, and very cheap.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not particularly on topic but the rising bite that Butch had at the show was one sweet double.

Mike

Posts: 21390 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Not particularly on topic but the rising bite that Butch had at the show was one sweet double.

Yes Sir! It was!