THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Question about the barrels of a Hawes Matador on GunsAmerica.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about the barrels of a Hawes Matador on GunsAmerica.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I check the web every week to see what kind of doubles are available and just to see what the world has to offer. I came across a Hawes Matador II in 500. Don't know anything about them, don't have the necessary funds yet, but was inquisitive about one of the photos of the rifle on GunsAmerica. I have included the link. It the last picture, Are those sleeved barrels? I have little to know experience with doubles and was wondering about this.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/926...ss_Double_Rifle.htm#

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Yes they are sleeved barrels built from a mono block.
I've never heard of a Hawes, Where was it made?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bkhall,

Yes...those are sleeved barrels beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawes was a company in Van Nuyes California, mostly known for single action revolvers imitating the Colt Peacemaker. I believe their firearms were manufactured by Sauer. I doubt that is gun was originally produced as a 500NE double rifle. Looks like a conversion of a boxlock 12ga. There are a number of companies, and gunsmiths who did, and still do, conversions of shotguns into double rifles, usually with low pressure loads like the 45-70. They use inexpensive boxlock shotguns to start with, as better SxS shotguns have too much value to start with.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thought. The Spanish firm of AYA has done off-branding for some time, and they had a low-end SxS called a Matador. Perhaps Hawes ordered shotguns from AYA branded as Hawes, and just called them Matador IIs.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Yes they are sleeved barrels built from a mono block.
I've never heard of a Hawes, Where was it made?

Firearms under the Hawes name were cheap single action colt clone pistols back in the early sixties. I have never seen a Hawes Shotgun, and can find no listing in the Gun trader for a Hawes shotgun. The pistols were made by J.P.Sauer & Sonn of Eckernforde, West Germany. I doubt the Shot gun was made by Sauer, however, as the Hawes name was a importer's brand, and sold many different firearms under the Hawes name. The gun in question here is definately a shotgun conversion.

This is likely built on a Aguirre Y Aranzabal

(AYA Pronounced AH~ EE~ AH )

Some here call these A, Y, A, as the letters are pronounced in English. This is incorrect. The letter "Y" in spanish is no just s letter, but a "WORD". "Y" is pronounced as a long "E" and means "AND' in English. Aguirre "AND" ("Y") Aranzabal Matador and Matador II sold from $169 US to $184 US in 1964, in Spain, and $210 USD in the USA.

In this case I don't think I'd be shooting that thing! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In this case I don't think I'd be shooting that thing!

Come on, Mac. What's the big deal? An action designed for about 11,500 PSI shooting a round at around 4 times that pressure?

I am sure Will can show us it is more than safe.....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
In this case I don't think I'd be shooting that thing!

Come on, Mac. What's the big deal? An action designed for about 11,500 PSI shooting a round at around 4 times that pressure?

I am sure Will can show us it is more than safe.....

Yeah Right Jim, I'll watch you! Big Grin I just edited, and added some to my post above!

Hey Jim I hope everything is coming together for you! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers. With a little knowledge and practice over time- I might not have to ask "silly" questions like that. But curiosity did kill the cat, and according to my girlfriend I am merely a DOG.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
IF this is a factory made rifle it has passed the proof house standards of that country. It should be good to go.
I have a Spanish made 45-70 ASTAR that is done like this. BUT it doesn't have pressures like a 500 either

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote