Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff Double fire
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted
Anybody ever experience a double fire on a krieghoff 470? It happened to me in during a muskox hunt. One pull of a trigger both barrels. Wow what a kick it was. Must have been the extreme cold that caused it to double.

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you get the Muskox?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Has operator error been dismissed? Most instances of doubling are due to the shooter "strumming" both triggers either out of excitement or anxiety when pulling the front trigger. I am not saying that your experience was due to operator error, but the vast majority are.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I learned the hard way not to use the front trigger first on my Chapuis in 9.3x74r!!

OUCH!! BOOM

Whoever thinks that a 9.3 is a "light" kicker try shooting two of them at once with a total weight of less than 9 lbs!

It probably would not have been that bad if it was not scoped, I got a nice dent in my forehead and a mild concussion.

After that I have no problem remembering......

REAR TRIGGER FIRST

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Was it really a 470? Or a 45-70?

Was it really a Krieghof? Or a Kareiganov?

Was it really a muskox? Or a moose head at the VFW?

Was it the coffee that dropped from your hand? Or was it wild turkey?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white north:
Anybody ever experience a double fire on a krieghoff 470? It happened to me in during a muskox hunt. One pull of a trigger both barrels. Wow what a kick it was. Must have been the extreme cold that caused it to double.

Are you sure it was mechanical in nature? With cold fingers I've known more than one DR shooter to double their rifle in the cold when they have never done it before. And as Rich said,"Did you get the Muskox?"

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter, Yes I did get the muskox, with 2 bullet holes side by side about 1 inch apart.

MJines, I did not touch the other trigger, and it sounded like only one shot. But I knew it was not only one barrel when I almost got knocked back from the recoil.

will, It is a 470 Nitro Express, It is a Krieghoff Classic big 5, and yes a muskox. And I live in the Canadian arctic where there no trees and no turkey. I was trying to post the picture of the muskox, but it say I do not have the permission. How do I get permission?

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
I learned the hard way not to use the front trigger first on my Chapuis in 9.3x74r!!

OUCH!! BOOM

Whoever thinks that a 9.3 is a "light" kicker try shooting two of them at once with a total weight of less than 9 lbs!

It probably would not have been that bad if it was not scoped, I got a nice dent in my forehead and a mild concussion.

After that I have no problem remembering......

REAR TRIGGER FIRST

I grew up with a double 12ga in my hands, and now i'm shooting a Chapuis 9.3x74R... I've yet to have my Chapuis go off when i didn't want it to, and i always fire it front trigger first...

Having problems with DT is an operator error, not a DT error, and requires some practise to do it right, EVERY time...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
DM, have you ever tried your gun at -60C? Krieghoff guns are designed not to do that, but mine did. I pulled the closer trigger, and not the one in the front.

An Eskimo from CANADA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
White North,
I used to travel the North i.e., Alaska, NW Terrotories, Yukon, etc.(not to hunt, mining/minerals exploration) and you are one of the very few ever heard of using a double rifle. Wondered why not more used, but no question expensive compared to bolt guns. As for the muskox, I have a scarf and beret made of the under lying fur/hair on the muskox, and believe it is called cuviat?? Not sure of spelling now, but understand it is the finest insullation material known to man. Super light and you can toss the scarf in the air and it almost floats downward. What lititude are you located?? Sorry to deviate from your double issue, but your posting brought back some very "chilling" memories.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Cold temps can do crazy things to rifles. I have never been in that cold of an enviroment but have had rifle issues in sub zero weather. Mine were with bolt guns that never gave me problems at normal temps. Like others have said, most double discharges are due to the operator, not the rifle. However there may be something wrong with your gun. I would shoot it with one live round, and one snap cap. Try to duplicate the issue again. At least that way you will only have one live round in the chamber. If you still have the issue, send the rifle to a smith and have it looked at.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DM, have you ever tried your gun at -60C? Krieghoff guns are designed not to do that, but mine did. I pulled the closer trigger, and not the one in the front.

An Eskimo from CANADA

Nope, the coldest i've ever been in is -62F in Northway Alaska...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
MFD
I got the gun for a cape buffalo hunt, and since I have it, used it in the extreme weather.I live at the 62 lat. 94long. On the hudson bay coast. And your scarf is made of kiviuq, much warmer than wool.
Aside from that how do I get permission to post pictures?

White North

One of Us
posted Hide Post
White North,
As far as I know, you don't have to have permission to post photos, but just know how to do it. I am a poor one to ask about that for I don't know myself how to do it. Sure others here can help you with that though.

Thanks for the location "fix" and you are much more East than I had anticipated.
When I was in Alaska, the muskox hunt was expensive and sure it is still so today. Friend of mine had the tanned hide of the one he had taken draped over his sofa, very unique critter. Is the snow bear/polar bear population strong in your area?? Later,

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Idaho Sharpshooter, Yes I did get the muskox, with 2 bullet holes side by side about 1 inch apart.

MJines, I did not touch the other trigger, and it sounded like only one shot. But I knew it was not only one barrel when I almost got knocked back from the recoil.

If the bullet holes are side by side 1" apart then IMO it was a real double discharge. In a strumming double discharge the second barrel will usually be very high, sometimes even shooting over the target all together.

This was porbably caused by frozen grease in the locks not letting the sear on the left barrel enguage completely. For extreme cold, the locks need to be de-greased completely, and run dry! The same goes for the ejectors if the rifle is fitted with them.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is dry graphite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to clarify. First it should only be used internally,or as Mac said use the rifle dry, and I don't think that Krieghoff would want the customer going internally into their rifles. Not without proper training and tools.

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
MFD
I have to watch my back when going to work, due to too many polar bears. They say the bears are going extinc due to global warming, we can no longer hunt them, but I have never seen so many and the winters are still really cold.

JR

one of us
posted Hide Post
white north

I would think this.

When a "person" doubles a double rifle, most of the time you can hear a BoBoom.

And the second shot will not normally hit the animal unless you are very close.

Since you stated your two bullet holes were side by side, that would indicate to me that your "Rifle" doubled, ie the problem is mechanical.

Do you normally shoot the rear trigger first?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And you guys think you are detectives. Unless the firing pins fell at exactly the same moment the holes, if there were any, are not going to be anywhere near each other.

White North is yanking somebody's chain.

Are maybe this is a high school psych project? Old geezers believe anything?

I read a lot of crapola on AR but this one is a doozie. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
OK,
Who told Will to stop taking his meds? Eeker animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I respect Will a great deal, and have greatly enjoyed reading his book.

Will,

take it a little easier will you?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Meds? What meds? I'm not crazy, I tell you. I'm not! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness, he didn't mention the strawberries!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a double double, and your bullets hit side by side, then what has happened is that both barrels have fired at the same time...

I had that happen once with a Drilling I bought.

I sighted in the rifle barrel, no problems.

I shot slugs and bird shot in the left SGN barrel, and buckshot and bird shot in the right barrel.

But I bever shot the left barrel, with a round in the right while testing.

The next morning I took it turkey/pig hunting.

Well I called some turkeys in fairly close, and they were fairly close together, so I picked the biggest gobbler, and fired the left barrel, as it was full choke.

Well, BOTH barrels fired at the SAME time...

I killed 3 turkeys. Eeker

Luckly I had 4 turkey tags....

I have doubled doubles, and seen other PEOPLE double doubles...

It is very easy to tell if it is a BaBoom, ie shooter caused, or a BOOOM caused by both firing pins falling at the same time.

IMHO of course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also Karomojo Bell [WDM Bell], had a 450/400 double rifle, and experimented with wireing the front trigger to the back, so both barrels would fire at the SAME time...

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I have played with idea - see here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=484108567#484108567

Anyway - to sum it up - doubled on purpose (Merkel 140 in 9.3x74R - front trigger set - puling the second) - no toticable delay between shots just one big "ka-boom" - with my left (I am lefty) middle finger swollen and a sore cheek - distance 3m ~ 10 feet - black circle dia is 3 inches:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is atypical. For an accidential double, the second shot is normally into outer space.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,
you need to get some fresh meds and answer prior threads about how to get a K-Gun to drop open, which you offered to do if someone would ask nicely which I did.

Thanks Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but this prbably wouldn't have happened with a bolt gun.

Just sayin'...

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but this prbably wouldn't have happened with a bolt gun.

Mauser, now THAT will put the Indians on the warpath!!!!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
That is atypical. For an accidential double, the second shot is normally into outer space.

"normally" ?

I would go a bit further and say "Will be" into outer space.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Once, I accidentily double tapped (Ba-Boom) my K450/400 but it was purely "me". The first slug went to POA, the second....who knows.

Since then, I make it a point to not be in a rush to fire the second barrel.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:

Just sayin'...

You're absolutely right it wouldn't have doubled, it likely wouldn't have fired at all...I missed a very nice Elk about 10 years ago because of -25 temp and a frozen firing pin. That was a lesson learned for me about gun oils and cold weather.

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote