THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "The Vintagers" DR shoot????????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Vintagers" DR shoot????????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is interesting to me that on this site I have not found posts that discuss the DR owners here traveling to the annual "Vintage Cup" to shoot in the DR competition there.

Since this site is the premier internet site of DR owners and shooters I think a discussion of why there is such limited interest in the DR shooting event at the Vintagers (now renamed Vintage Shooters).

For the last couple of years the event that is held in September of each year has been at a shooting ground located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

What say ye?

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retreever here used to do that every year.

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little goes to that as well.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I went years ago as a spectator as a work trip allowed it. Would love to have the time to practice and right "gun" to compete in the drilling or double rifle event! Just don't right now.

It was fun to go and walk the booths and drool over guns and rifles. No clue why it's not mentioned on here more.

Now that Aaron Little goes, might have to try to go again and see some of his excellent work in person.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot in the Side by Side Hammer Gun Division. Great event and lots of good folks.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
When the Vintagers used the very nice facilities at Sandanona I shot the 'stalking rifle' DR event for several years with BP doubles, either 450 3-1/4" BPE or 450/400 2-3/8" BPE. Never had a large enough double to do the 'stopping rifle' event but went over to watch some pretty impressive shooting there. Also got to know a lot of good folks.

The rifle range set up in Maryland I thought was a bit iffy - not a very safe backstop by comparison to Sandanona for instance - and I haven't shot there.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To date there have been 225 views of this post and my question of why are the DR people/members of this site not attending the Vintage Cup DR events annually. The response so far is that Aaron Little is reported to attend the DR event.

Otherwise no others attend this event on a regular basis.

The Vintager Cup is an event that is held in the lower 48 states of the USA, while Cal's event is held in Alaska. It seems to me that more people, by a significant margin, from this premier DR site go up to visit and to shoot with Cal than go to the Vintage Cup to shoot.

I am surprised at answer and question why is this occurring.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I attended two years ago when it was reintroduced. I took a risk, unfortunately attendance was low so as a business venture it didn’t pan out. The people running and hosting the operation were all great. I probably won’t attend that event again. The Southern shoot has a higher attendance, I’ll look into that once this backlog is worked through.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for something fun to do, don't forget that for those in the "lower 48" there is always the option of the Safari Rifle Challenge in Montana. Always a great turnout and lots of moving targets. We have AR members from 12 states and 2 provinces already registered for this summer.

Here is a link and some photos from last year.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...751076332#9751076332

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note Maryland is on the wrong end of the
country just like California. Montana is the
place to go shooting big bores, doubles too.
Eastern Maryland is famous for Crabs.

Good Shooting,
Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Tetonka nailed it!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a restaurant and I have a freshman that plays baseball and getting away is hard.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote