Find
Notify
Tools

Used double advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I am getting closer to making a double purchase (my first), and will likely be going with a used gun. Assuming I am able to handle the gun for inspection prior to purchase....are there any particular things I should pay close attention to and/or look for? Are there any small signs of misuse I should be watching for that are unique to double rifles? (besides the obvious signs on a regular bolt gun)

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I shot skeet & trap competitively for years. I shot and O/U single trigger then...but now shoot a SXS double trigger to keep me in tune for my DR. I actually grew up hunting with a double trigger SXS. To shoot a shotgun well...it must fit you so that it instinctively points at what you are looking at when you bring it to your shoulder and face.

I want a DR to point well just like a well fitting shotgun. You can change length of pull but you are stuck with other demensions in a pre-built gun.

Make sure it points like a shotgun for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are looking at a used rifle. You dont want there to be any play in the lockup. Take the forearm off and turn it over, do you feel any looseness as you slightly twist the barrels?
What position is the lever? Is it right of center? Dead center, or past, may point toward it being off face.
Pay attention to both the head of the stock and the tang ends, you are looking for cracks at these locations. Often a oil runs into these areas due to the rifle being stored butt down and then the wood can get punky,soft in these areas. Most double guns are slightly proud of the metal at the stock head. If it isn't doesnt rule it out just may have been refinished. This applies to English guns mostly and most have been refinshed. Some of those jobs are better than others.
Barrels should shine free of pits, dents and have sharp rifling. The top and bottom ribs should show no gap their entire length.
Ejectores and or extractors should funtion and be in time.

The double gun dose warrent inspection of a competant smith, of which there are several around the country.
You will not know about regulation until you shoot it, which is why were it me and a rifle of value I would arrange to do just that.

Good Luck

HBH

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
HBH +1... Good advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even a used double is rarely cheap, E-S. Believe you would do best to have the seller ship to a doublegunsmith nearby, maybe JJ Perodeau in Oklahoma to do as much as the seller will permit in evaluating the rifle. You'd call JJ at Champlins first to establish a price for the inspection. Bound to be a relatively small fraction of the selling price and worth it unless you really know doubles.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honestly Eland, if you buy a modern double rifle, I really doubt that it would have seen so much use that is would show the type of wear described above. A few hundred rounds (max) per year is what I would expect of a double in an African caliber. Now something like a 9.3x74R might be different as it could well be used for hunting in the USA. All my doubles were bought used and I have enjoyed them. What caliber are you thinking of getting?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I would add to ring the barrels to make sure the solder is solid. Disassemble the rifle and let the barrels hang by resting one of the lumps on a finger of your hand with the barrels hanging down. Tap each barrel lightly with a solid object and listen for a ring, like a tuning fork. If so, all's well. If a thud, then the solder is bad and the barrels need not only re- joining but re- regulating.
Or, just ask Shootaway!
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're in Texas, surrounded by double enthusiasts who know their stuff and Post here, and love looking at and handling doubles. Take one or more of them along.

Or get Shootaway...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9776 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I believe that Shothiswad is on the blacklist for TSA.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Honestly Eland, if you buy a modern double rifle, I really doubt that it would have seen so much use that is would show the type of wear described above. A few hundred rounds (max) per year is what I would expect of a double in an African caliber. Now something like a 9.3x74R might be different as it could well be used for hunting in the USA. All my doubles were bought used and I have enjoyed them. What caliber are you thinking of getting?
Peter.

I should have added in my original post that I am only looking at modern rifles. I would love to one day own some nice vintage rifles, but I'm going to start off with a modern gun to "learn the ropes" so to speak.

I am mostly looking at used Merkel and Searcy rifles in .500 NE.

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Assuming I am able to handle the gun for inspection prior to purchase....

Don't assume. ONLY buy a double rifle if there is an inspection period. That's normal. If someone isn't willing to give you one assume something is wrong with the gun and they are trying to screw you. Move on it's too much money to get stuck because someone made you take their word for it. I would find people near by who own and use double to help evaluate. Also shoot it and confirm the accuracy before finalizing the purchase. Auctions can be a bit different, but get a feel for the auction house's reputation and get a condition report. Any reputable auction house should give an accurate condition report. They should also stand by the sale if the product is misrepresented in the condition report (This happened to a friend and they refunded him).

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Assuming I am able to handle the gun for inspection prior to purchase....

Don't assume. ONLY buy a double rifle if there is an inspection period. That's normal. If someone isn't willing to give you one assume something is wrong with the gun and they are trying to screw you. Move on it's too much money to get stuck because someone made you take their word for it. I would find people near by who own and use double to help evaluate. Also shoot it and confirm the accuracy before finalizing the purchase. Auctions can be a bit different, but get a feel for the auction house's reputation and get a condition report. Any reputable auction house should give an accurate condition report. They should also stand by the sale if the product is misrepresented in the condition report (This happened to a friend and they refunded him).

Brett

How would someone go about shooting a rifle that is at a gun shop? Unless there is a range "in house" or next door....I've never seen a place that would let a gun leave the store for shooting.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Be prepared to leave a check or cash as a deposit. Buy the test ammo right there.
First born children don't work any more for deposits.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of 3 day inspection periods but these always excluded firing the gun. I would not sell one of my doubles to some bozo who would try some of his buddies handloads! Now if the buyer wanted to shoot the gun at my range with me being there that would be perfectly acceptable as long as he used my reloads or factory ammo. What could he tell from this? That it goes "bang"? A gun like a 500NE or other African Caliber takes some getting used to and could not be fired for POA/POI I wouldn't think.
Just my $0.02.
Peter.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the small price of an airline ticket I would just fly there in person and inspect and fire the rifle. Make sure the seller has ammo you can use or buy before you get there. Bring it back on the plane with you.
You live in Texas which is pretty much central so a ticket should not cost that much. Well worth the expense to make sure the rifle is as described.

Posts: 73 | Location: SW Pa | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done business with George at Champlin's, and my approval period allowed shooting with factory ammo.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Some Bozo blows up your gun you have his money.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I was thinking as well, Brett.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if you didn't go to DSC you missed the chance to see and handle about 100 double rifles. I think every major rifle maker was their except Butch and Bailey.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Also try the Beinfield Antique Arms & International Sporting Arms Shows next weekend in Vegas. There will be more double rifles under the roof of the Riviera Hotel than anywhere, including the safari club shows, new & vintage. Also, the upcoming Rock Island auction features quite a few vintage DRs.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my K-gun in 500/416 from Morris Hallowell. Very satisfied with the transaction.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I did not make it to DSC, due to work. However, I do have some exciting news to share!!

Some of you may have seen my "Merkel vs. Searcy" thread....and were probably wondering why I was comparing those two particular brands. Well, the reason was that I found what I believed to be a great deal on a Searcy double at a well-known shop in Houston called "Collectors Firearms"....for a price I could not pass up.

So I am happy to announce that I am now the proud owner of a slightly used Searcy "PH" in .500 NE, complete with ejectors, GORGEOUS wood, and a custom-fitted Americase!! Cool

This morning I had the rifle inspected by a gunsmith who specializes in doubles (recommended to me by Mjines)....and he said it was in fine shape.

I'll be sure to post some photos soon!!

I want to say a big "Thank You" to everyone on AR who has helped by giving me advice, and tolerating my many questions. This is truly the best hunting/shooting forum on the web.

Now I am anxious to get out and shoot my "new" arrival.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good deal Eland Slayer! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a lucky man!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratstions. 2 new double rifle TX boys.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote