New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purdey's trio is sold
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
James Purdey and Sons has confirmed that the bicentenary trio has been sold. Can't seem to find the price anywhere. Thought you'd enjoy this photo of the historic weapons, especially the 470 double at the bottom. Sigh....

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Wow,if only I'd chosen my parents better .....

That bottom one is a beaut

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, very nice. The picture has been assembled, of course, with rifle shot closer up. It had me wondering about the length of the hand for a moment.

Interesting finishes on the metal of the Woodward; were they to think of a less-obtrusive fore-end release, the wood there could be even slimmer - to give greater hand/eye alignment.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Interesting finishes on the metal of the Woodward;

Actually not a finish. They now make a line of guns using a special rendition of "Damascus" steel. Not sure of the metallurgy, but I heard a Swedish company creates the steel by a series of twists during the forging to create this "damascus" pattern. Guns made from that steel cost even more than Purdey's traditional guns!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet they went for over $5,000! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'll bet they went for over $5,000! :-)

Huh? Try $20,000 per gun, at least!

Lol! I'm messing about. My guess is around 2 million.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purdey starting list prices* for regular catalogue individual firearms:

SxS 12g= US$127k
Woodward U/O = US$146k
Express rifle = US$186k
(* VAT 20% needs to be added for British purchasers)

thats already 460k before added options-upgrades, or any additional rare-exlusive collector value.
The Trio were sold through a discret sealed bid auction method, with part-proceeds going to charity.

Id say at least a million-$ to bag those Bicentennial commemoratives, highly likely significantly more.

If I was an über rich London Banker I would bid 3 million to try and secure those rigs & to get my corporate Co.name
in the books for donating to charity in the process.... its just a drop in the ocean for some.

For uber-rich English high society snobbery crowd, someone having limited edition Purdeys, who have had the royal warrant
continuosly since 1878, makes interesting talking point at exclusive parties,polo games and of course game-shoot days... Big Grin

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian564:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Interesting finishes on the metal of the Woodward;

Actually not a finish. They now make a line of guns using a special rendition of "Damascus" steel. Not sure of the metallurgy, but I heard a Swedish company creates the steel by a series of twists during the forging to create this "damascus" pattern. Guns made from that steel cost even more than Purdey's traditional guns!

Sorry Brian, the possibility that it was part of the metalurgy (even some something analogous with damascus) had occurred to me - the words to cover all possibilities had not.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
Purdey starting list prices* for regular catalogue individual firearms:

Actually I included a message in "invisible ink" in my previous post. Highlight the whole post and see what happens Wink

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I heard that Biebs had to crack open the piggy bank to get these. rotflmo

But don't worry he'll have them up for sale in a few weeks after the newness wears off. Roll Eyes

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to be content with my 1896 Purdey 12/65 game gun..

If I could afford it I would have hunted hard with that .470 and the rest of the lot....Purdeys are meant to be used, not Cinderella sleep in gun cabinets..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damasteel is the company that makes the stainless Damascus. There are some really cool things made from their steel.

Posts: 181 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at a Damasteel Purdey would drive me crazy after a while, too busy on my eye.
http://www.purdey.com/Global/I...sRifles_Damascus.jpg
OF course there are other more subtle-less striking patterns of Damasteel that Purdey could use and I could suffer,
and deleting/or reducing the differential acid-etch treatment would also make any Damasteel pattern even more subtle/pleasing to my eye.

However I really like contrasted Damasteel as a more discreet feature such as on the internal surfaces of the locks.
http://keyassets.timeincuk.net...n_inside-300x184.jpg

I believe Purdey are in some modern way, honouring/commemorating Co. founder James Purdeys early 1800s efforts
at making firearms from old horseshoe nail damascus.

The new damascus Purdeys are:
– a combination of two powder steels brought together in a vacuum process. AISI 4140 (EN19) and AISI 4340 (EN24), the two constituents,
are manufactured by Rapidly Solidified Powder (RSP) technology for Purdey using what is called the Hot Isostatic Process or HIP.

Powder steels have around twice the fracture strength of normal steels. The molten steel from the refining furnace runs into a nitrogen-filled vacuum chamber.
In the chamber powerful gas beams atomize the alloy into a fine powder. The AISI 4140 (EN19) and AISI 4340 (EN24) powder is mixed in layers just like a
marble cake in a special mould. The mould undergoes a Hot Isostatic Melting Process under vacuum pressure and the powder then welds together.

The material is hot rolled to size in a series of passes on a rolling mill. During this process, it is subject to much higher stresses than normal,
so production must be done in small volumes. The final stage before work on action and barrels commence is the twisting process. This not only gives
a unique pattern to the steel but also increases its strength.

After twisting the chopper lumps and action component parts are forged to shape in a traditional blacksmiths shop (in Sheffield). The forged components
are x-rayed and certificated to ensure that the materials used in the Purdey Damascus steel gun are perfect. The process combines the use of the best
21st century steelmaking technology with ancient artisan skill. Needless to say, it is costly and time consuming.

the Damasteel in a Purdey has been differentially acid-etched to bring out the contrasts.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like this new Damasteel approach...it shows that Purdey wants to be innovative and not be content with stiff upper-lip conservatism.. tu2

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damasteel

Agree. Incredible innovation and technology indeed. If a normal Purdey serves generation of owners for 150 years, I wonder if these Damsteel ones would last for 300! I need to win the lottery fast and wish that they can make a double rifle of that steel dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A doublerifle in Damasteel would be something.. tu2

The only downside is the GBP 130.000,- pricetag (O/U shotgun..).. Confused