THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    500's and solid penetration test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500's and solid penetration test
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had an interesting experience at the range last night when I was testing out a new handgun.
A gentleman pulled up with a nice 500 double and a box built of 1 inch pine boards and phone boooks to test his new bullets.
His bullets were the Woodleigh 570 gr solids and the GS solids I believe in the same weight. I think his load data was 93 and 95 grains of RL 15. He was a nice gent to talk to and very informative. He was telling me all about the results which were the Woodweigh out penetrated the GS by 3 boards. And the 93 grain load penetrated deeper with both bullets over the 95.
Just an interesting observation to pass on. Hope some of you find it helpful. He is on his way to Taz in a couple of months for ANOTHER bull elephant ( I really need to win a lottery!).

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 470 Mbogo site has some penetration tests, methinks, and Linebaugh has some stats out there somehwere too. I'd like to see how a meplat bullet out of a 470 compares to the 500. Need not be a monometal (only 1 or 2 are safe anyway) but if included that's cool, the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer is the perfect candidate.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The results I would expect to see. In a dry medium (like ele skull) the Woodie will out penetrate a GS with same velocity only marginally. In a wet medium like a body shot on the ele the GS will penetrate deeper than the Woodie by a foot or more.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
The results I would expect to see. In a dry medium (like ele skull) the Woodie will out penetrate a GS with same velocity only marginally. In a wet medium like a body shot on the ele the GS will penetrate deeper than the Woodie by a foot or more.

Right on! thumb

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot elephants in the head with my 450 No2 with 480gr Woodleigh Solids and 450gr North Fork Flat Nosed Solids.

The Woodleighs gave more than adequate penetration. The North Forks gave QUITE a bit more penetration.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I don't think "sufficient" penetration is in doubt with a 500 NE, or the fear of poor penetration of lesser calibers the point of using one. It is really for delivering an overpowering blow or reliably knocking down an elephant if the brain is missed.

If one can handle the horrendous reoil. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
If one can handle the horrendous reoil. Smiler

Will, you of all people talking about horrendous recoil while your fondling your new 458 win mag that weighs around 7.8 lb. Smiler

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I know the argument endures about recoil being recoil, but a straight stocked bolt, or double for that matter, has less perceived recoil, TO ME, than a stock with large drop such as on most double rifles. My straight stocked Krieghoff in 470 at 9.7 lbs. is very tolerable but a 500 would be over my limit.

The recoil on the 8.7 lb. Lott that I had was almost tolerable, though short of horrendous, and a Lott has less recoil energy than a 500 NE. Admittedly some folks don't mind the big recoiling guns, but unless hunting they are a bit much for me.

I would love to have a 500 NE double to go ding an elephant or two, but even standing range time would be extremely limited.

When Larry Shores dislocated his finger with his 500 NE Heym, I should have bought his. Damnit. Wink Or did you beat me to it? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every time somebody runs penetration tests they all come up with different results..Then you have the dingbats that compare ones HP to anothers solid and come up with these jewells of wisdom...

I do know that the GS Custom flat point solid is one hell of a bullet and I prefer it over the Woodleigh in solids..That said is not a flame on the great Woodligh bullets, I love Woodleih bullets and have used them for years and will continue to use them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote