THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Tell me about Chapuis rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Chapuis rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Damn it! I'm catching the DR bug. Never had the opportunity to handle or fire many, with the exception of a Kreighoff .470 some years back, however, I'm now interested in acquiring a DR in 9.3x74. No real need here, just another want!

From browsing a few web sites I've determined that the Chapuis is possibly affordable to me, but I know little to nothing about them. If some of you guys that own these rifles would post some comments as to what you like/dislike I would certainly appreciate the input. BTW, I have no interest in an O/U rifle.

Thanks, George

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Chapuis 9,3x74R for several years.

I have used it with iron sights and I have 2 scopes in rings for it.

It is one of my most favorite hunting rifles..I have used it in Texas Montana, Idaho and Canada, as well as 3 Safaris to Zimbabwe.

It is a great killer of game.

I have taken giraffe, cape buff and elephant with it.

My favorite bullets are the 286gr Woodleigh Soft, & Solid, and the 286gr Nosler Partition.

I have over three thousand rounds through the gun and I have not had any problems.

I have taken game at a little over 300 yards with it.

I cannot think of anything I do not like about it.

I do wish I had a set of 20ga bbls for it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that isn't a great reply, I don't know what is!!

I just acquired my Chapuis in July of this year and although I haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet, I have been getting in good time at the range with it.. Handles great (had a small spacer and new Silvers pad put on to get the proper LOP for me) and shoots like a dream and has performed flawlessly thus far. I'm taking it to Zim next year to break it in on ele and buff.

I'm sure you'll love it!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scotty,

Your comment about the spacer, and pad raise the question of whether or not LOP, and cast off can be spec'd when ordering. Is any pre-fitting possible when ordering a Chapuis?

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If you order it, it'll come as you spec it out. If you buy it 'off the rack ' you'll need to change it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine, it's 9.3x74R, and i'm using 286NP's in it.

I don't like the scope mount it has, and i'm thinking of changeing it out to claw mts...

I also don't like the full forearm, i wish it was splinter. I don't like the phony engraving either...

BUT, it's accurate seems well made and has decent trigger pulls. I think "overall" it's a decent value in a modern DR for hunting...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DM

While I think Claw mounts are the best for sure, my Chapuis has that same mount.

Mine has always gone back to zero.

What about it do you not like?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up mine a couple of years ago here on one of those "Group Buys". Never have added the scope mount yet.
Two years moose hunting, two moose. Last year hit one 187 yards off hand. Very accurate. No problems to date although I wish the rear trigger was as light as the front.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In terms of ruggedness and return to zero, Sühler claw mounts are the very best by far. They're also very expensive and demand experience and skill to be installed properly.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
George,
I can't add mutch more to what has already been said. The Chapuis 9.3 is a great rifle and I believe makes a perfect rifle for the first time DR owner. I really enjoy mine. I would reach out to Dale who posts here under DLN. He is a great guy to work with and offeres very competitive prices on these rifles.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have posted. I appreciate the insight!

While I have not had the chance to personally handle a Chapuis, the stock configuration looks troubling to me. I suppose I could adjust to the forearm, but the grip with it's Weatherby like arc puts me off a bit. I much prefer a more open grip. Has this been an issue for anyone here?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock on my Chapuis fits me VERY good, other than i need to shorten it a bit.

The reason i don't like the scope mount, is it's a real "pain in the ass" to put on and take off. I have a claw mount on my drilling,

and in my opinion, the claw mount is easily worth the difference in price!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwindrider1:
Thanks to all who have posted. I appreciate the insight!

While I have not had the chance to personally handle a Chapuis, the stock configuration looks troubling to me. I suppose I could adjust to the forearm, but the grip with it's Weatherby like arc puts me off a bit. I much prefer a more open grip. Has this been an issue for anyone here?

As a lefty, I actually ordered my stock with zero cast and no cheek piece thinking if I didnt like it, it would be easier to resell. Stock just works and rifle points fine. Recoil is on the edge though as I ordered mine without a recoil pad. Grip seems fine.
Like Roscoe said, contact Dale and he will spend all the time required to get you set up.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't have much expiriance with the chapuis but the guys here all seem to really like them.

What N.E. 450#2 says tells the story best, Any double rifle that has over 3000 rounds without coming off face is built right.

As far as mounts are conserned I have 9 rifles with claw mounts. Yes I really like them but they do have some disadvantages compared to the quality swing off mounts like EAW,Bock or the mounts that appears to be Recknagel on the Chapuis in the photo posted by DM.

Claw mounts have none or little adjustment for wear, They are many times the price and in the U.S. there are only a couple sources for compatent instalation.

The swing off mounts are fully adjustable for both wear and scope alignment and in many cases you can install them yourself.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys! I'm also trying to check into the Verney-Carron rifles. Any opinions on those?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Claw mounts have none or little adjustment for wear, They are many times the price and in the U.S. there are only a couple sources for compatent instalation.

I'd rather pay the $700.00 the claw mts cost, over the $300. plus the swings cost... That's not "several times the price" and the claws are worth more than double the price of the swings, in just speed and ease of use!

DM

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
My first double is a Chapuis that I bought used this last spring.

I have nothing but good things to say. So far I have only killed one bear and a coyote.

I think they are the best value for your $$ with no compromises ie a Blazer double

No offense to all the Blazer owners but they just did not impress me.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The guy who sold me his searcy to buy a Verney-Carron thinks they are fantastic. Cost him double the amount so they may be. Maybe he will chime in as he is on here at times

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Kalifornia | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gwindrider1,

Your screwed! Once you catch the DR bug...there is no cure. It will consume you. You will continue to study doubles, buy components, work on regulating loads, buy more doubles, shoot them more and more, make new friends, buy books on doubles, buy more doubles...ITS A BLAST!!!!

ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I realize that! It might keep me broke, but it's a damn sight better than buyin' crack off the street corner.