Find
Notify
Tools

New Merkel small double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted
Took delivery today of a new small Merkel SxS. It's 8x57R and really a nice gun. Built on a small action and is really alive in the hands. I think I could hit pheasant on the wing with it. 21" barrels,single non-selective trigger,ejectors,single standing rear sight, red flourescent patridge front sight (very nicely done I might add)quite nice piece of wood,humpback stock. Can't wait to shoot it but have no dies as yet they are on order as also some brass. When I get the dies I will make some brass from some 7x57R I have for my CZ combination. The unusual thing is it had no test target so I don't know what it was regulated with. Anybody have any idea what these 8x57's are regulated with. Also what scope mounts will adapt to this rifle as the rear scope block is actually not just a filler block in the rib but looks to be some type of mount base. The front block is just a block that dovetails into the rib.It appears you replace the dovetail block in front and something CLAMPS to rear block. This is really a nice little rifle that will get lots of use by me. Would include pics but camera went belly up.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call GSI in trussville,alabama they can tell you all you want to know.They are the Merkel distributer in USA.You can also talk to there merkel gunsmith there.They have great customer service.Congratulations on your fine Double rifle! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's probably set up for ERA mounts (NECG is US distributor). With respect to regulation ammo (assuming it's a modern gun chambered for JRS round), I would try RWS 12,8g TIG first. Two other choices are 12,1g HMK and 12,7g TMR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't waste your time resizing 7 x 57r brass- just buy rws and watch it put them all into the same hole.

they used to build these small cals on 20 ga action. now they are on 28 ga and really slick.

gsi no longer exists. they are now hk - merkel usa

the toll free # is 1-800-821 3031

merkel has a propriatery scope mounting system
that is a swing mount. the rear clamps onto the rear base. but the ones i have have a front base with 3 slots around a circle ....you put the front ring into the base and swing scope to the left. when over the rear base it stops and you engage the lock

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote