New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington doubles (again)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was at the Toronto Sportsman show on Saturday. Saw the Baikal dealer there and asked about the 45-70. Was told that they would be in Canada this fall, imported by Baikal.

They already have the 30-06 in the stores (I saw a couple on the shelves and handled one at the Baikal booth). Guy from Baikal told me it was just a matter of them gearing up to do production, which they have now done, so the 45-70's should start rolling off the line any time now.

Price $1200 CDN, but the stores are selling the 30-06's for $975 CDN.

BTW, also handled the Blaser double. Hated the safety. Razzer

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What store has them for $975 I may just have to give them a call.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooters Choice, Waterloo, ON

(519) 746-8139

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fisher. Yesterday I bought one in Edmonton for $1050 I think it was the only one in the city.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is still one available in Lethbridge ... but it is a lot more ... $1,399. The guy at Wholesale Sports is expecting three in ... at $1,200 he told me. (I paid $1,200 for mine and am thrilled with it ... ) If/and when the Americans get the Spartan for the listed $599 U.S. ... they shall be in high cotton !

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Republic of Alberta:
Thanks Fisher. Yesterday I bought one in Edmonton for $1050 I think it was the only one in the city.

Tell us a little about it. Hammers? Barrel length? Over all impression?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was informed today by distributor that those that entered U.S. were recalled and done so due to barrel splitting, caliber '06. Supposedly only 2-3 made it in???? Local dealers could sell, but deliveries definitely delayed. Someone might want to check with Rem. directly and hope for an answer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My goodness .. barrel splitting.. Confused FrownerIf that happens to mine I shall probably develop a flinch ... whenever I shoot it .. Eeker

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Scruffy,
Sounds like a lot of hype to me about the barrel splitting, but if I owned one, would check it out with the mfg. Figure they will tell you for if it is true and they deny it, up jumps the devil in the form of lawyers. I will do better than that, I will check for myself and advise for I had one on order from dealer friend and he got the word from distributor. Oh, by the way, believe flinch would be the lesser of your worries if it should split. Enjoy your rifle!!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A Remington marketing type told one our posters that their initial 30-06 test guns had some frame cracks deveop during Remington's testing and they were holding off until Bakial remedied the problem.

Now, that may be how the rumor started. But remeber, a low level marketing persom will say about anything to cover the company's ass to a pissed off consumer; especially lay it off on an offshore producer.

Bakial makes the little single shot rifle in the same plant with the same steel with absolutely no reported problems so take things like split barrel stories for what they're worth.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what I was thinking too. At least I hope it is a rumor.
None the less I will take care while fireing the first few rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I took the little musket out this morning to see what would happen... sofa I drove about fifteen miles into the country and found to my disgust a really strong wind from the south .. Nuts !!! So instead of putting up a target, I just set out two plastic containers filled with water ... One was about two feet/two feet .. the other perhaps 2/3 the size .. I stood sort of out of the wind being shielded by my Silverado and offhand promptly missed the little container .. It was only 50-60 yards away .. So I swung onto the other one and fired the other barrel and blew it all to hell with a great deal of exploding water and plastic.. That was a good thing .. I then reloaded the other barrel and then did the same thing with the smaller jug .. Too cool and exactly what I bought the gun for - to have fun !! cheers Later on in the morning I went to the range and this time I shot at a hundred yards .. using a great rest. Now I have no skill/practice using iron sights ... I always use a scope .. But using the 168 grain bullets (for which it was regulated for) I shot a bunch more shells .. The left barrel shot to the left of the bulls eye .. the right barrel - to the right .. The groups were perhaps 6 inches apart ... I bought this gun expecting it to be my 50 yard mulie doe rifle .. or white tail doe rifle .. and will take it to Namibia to blast a wartie this August. Without fine tuning it and being a pathetic iron sight shooter .. I was more than satisfied. I'm sure that I can comfortably stretch it to 100 yards as is .. if I had to ... and kill a deer with a lung shot .. And no ... not the least concerned about barrels splitting ... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scruffy are you going to turn the jack screw to bring the bbls closer? I am willing to bet you can get a little better than 6" spread. If you do try to mess with the regulating screw let me know how it works out for you.
I will be firing mine on Monday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno ..... I know that I should .. I also realize that the accuracy for what I want/need is pretty good right now .. I'll have to ponder for a bit .. I'm not overly fond of the iron sights .. not sure how tough it would be to replace them with something that would stick out a bit more ... Confused It could just be my sorry shooting, too. A better shot might/could/should/would cut those 6" groups ... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I was told by the rep that they are regulated at the factory, and only need re-regulation if you change loads.

I don't know what load the factory regulation is for, though. Did it come with a shot target and load info?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo ! My rifle was regulated for 10.9 .. which I ciphered out to mean 168 grains .. I really think that it is good to go .. as it is. There was no target ... And the way that I shoot with iron sights .. I should burn mine .. clapI would like to change the sights, as I mentioned so that I can see them a bit better. I'll have to show them to a gunsmith or somebody for suggestions .. I don't really want to change sights, however, if I have to resight it in ... If it ain't broke ............ Smiler

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I would only want an aperture rear sight put on, then regulate it again. Sounds like a fun gun and I'm waiting for the 45-70. Good shooting. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Republic of Alberta !!! Did you shoot your double rifle ??? (Doesn't that sound cool ??) thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, I shot it. I gave a full and detailed report on canadiangunnutz. I dont know if you hang out there if you do it is under Hunting and sporting arms.

The bottom line is that I don't belive my gun can handly the pressure from the 30-06. I had a hard time opening the lever and whe I held the gun up to the light I could see it was slightly pushed off face after firing. Lucky when I removed the spent brass the gun locked up tighly again so no damage was done. Is this normal?

I shot at 50 yards standing with my forend hand on a sand bag. I fired 4 shot groups R,L,R,L. The gun shot about 3" groups with the few factory 165g Winchester Power Points I fired. It was regulated well at 50 yards. There was a fair amount of vertical diversion from the right (floater) bbl. I also fired 2 shots factory 180g Winchester Power Point and had a hard time opening the lever agin. These crossed by 1" at 50 yards. I shot quite a few handloads with 165g hornadys and 180g hornadys. I worked up with IMR 4350 for both bullets and stoped when I felt there was too much pressure. My loads ended up being mild-mid range loads.

I played with the jack screw and found that turning it 5 clicks towards the butt end of the rifle caused the mid gange 165g horndady hand loads (which were reguling well) to cross 4.75" at 50 yards. I then brought the bbls back together with the screw. I also set up the jack screw to regulate my mid range 180g handloads. They ended up regulating very nice. Usualy 3 shots would go into 1" with that right bbl shooting one shot high to open the groups to 2-3". Some times it would be the fist shot sometimes the second.

I also noted that the safety would not flick on to safe after the right bbl was fired unless you pushed the right trigger forward. I know it was not hanging up the day before.

Scruffy did you have any problems?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, but that is interesting. I just assumed that I would use factory loads .... (I'm not taking it prairie dog shooting) .. but since I am using it for short range anyhow .. maybe I'll get some more dies (I stupidly sold my small base dies years ago) .. and load up some loads such as you mentioned. The rifle seems to work fine ... but I probably have only fired about 10 rounds so far ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Republic of Alberta,
Read your field report on the double rifle you have and would seriously urge that you contact both the dealer, distributor, mfg., etc. and alert them of the problems you are having and put it in writing. Stress the fact that you first fired the rifle with factory ammunition, not reloads.
If I read your report correctly, upon shooting factory ammo, the barrels hinged upward from the pressure of shooting and revealed a "gap" for lack of a better word??
The fact that you were able to close the breech/action and could no longer see daylight, is not a sign that everything is OK. Everything is NOT OK from what you have described and in fact could be dangerous to your life and limb!! Your head is very close to a "bomb" going off and only thing keeping that gas pressure from striking you in the face, eye, etc. is the CLOSED and LOCKED breech of the rifle. I have no intention to "bad mouth..." your rifle, but do teach firearms safety courses and SAFETY is paramount in all matters concerning firearms. I know you and others have paid premium money for these rifles and you should not have problems whatsoever with the rifles you purchased. The mfg. is responsible for insuring things as you describe do not happen, but only if you use proper ammunition and reasonable care in using the rifle. It would sound that you have done both but are experiencing undue problems. Let them know about it and would advise NOT shooting the rifle until resolved fully. Oh, and that part about having to push the trigger forward to engage the safety!! EHHHH, not a good sign and very dangerous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After firing when I held the gun up to the sun light I could see a very tiny gap between the bbls and the face of the action. Just enough to let light pass. I do not knbow if this is normal or not, I don't think it is.

Once the spent brass was removed the action closes up with no gap an continues to be tight. This is a good thing. With my mild handloads the bbls remain on face after firing.

I may phone up the store where I got the rifle and let them know what is going on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read your report on GN .. Most impressive report !!! I will probably go to lighter loads as you suggested .. but so far mine seems to be fine .. (Although I have only shot about ten rounds of Winchester Supreme ..)