New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for my first double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all esteemed DR experts. I used to be a regular reader on this forum a few years ago, and I learned a lot about DR from you all, but then I wandered away because it was too painful to view and read about what I could not have. Now, I may actually be able to swing it, so I am back, and seeking advice and assistance.

First off, I am in Ontario, Canada, so finding something in Canada would be preferred (between currency exchange, shipping, import fees, taxes, duties, etc., a "good deal" from the U.S. can quickly become not such a good deal). I'm looking for a used .470, and the makes I'm interested in are Heym, Searcy, Chapuis or VC. If any forum members from Canada know of something available up here, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm also open to any other suggestions. I've been looking for some time now up here, and have not found anything available along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Ralf @ http://www.martinigunmakers.com/history.htm
He's in Cranbrook BC < that's still in Canada hee hee >
Great guy knows his stuff .

Posts: 541 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Yes, I've been on his website. The only thing of interest listed is a Nick Makinson .470 on a Browning action. I've posted a separate discussion here earlier today to get some opinions on such a rifle, as I'm not familiar with either the builder or the action.

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with one of the known makers. Although both Makinson and Searcy have built double rifles on the Browning action, their resale is much less than a double from a major manufacturer. You didn't mention Merkel, but they can often be had at a good price on the used market, at least here in the states.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
How about a vintage double from the UK? If you go with a black powder express, you can have one for the cost of a low end new double and less than a new mid-quality double. Plus, you have history, workmanship, class, character, balance, proven track record, and fine flowing lines. If you buy an old rifle, perhaps the import laws are a bit relaxed? I know they are in the US.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'd stick with one of the known makers. Although both Makinson and Searcy have built double rifles on the Browning action, their resale is much less than a double from a major manufacturer. You didn't mention Merkel, but they can often be had at a good price on the used market, at least here in the states.

The only Merkel I've ever handled didn't entirely appeal to me, and that's the only reason I haven't mentioned it. Having said that, I've never even seen a Searcy, so perhaps I should be a little more open minded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
How about a vintage double from the UK? If you go with a black powder express, you can have one for the cost of a low end new double and less than a new mid-quality double. Plus, you have history, workmanship, class, character, balance, proven track record, and fine flowing lines. If you buy an old rifle, perhaps the import laws are a bit relaxed? I know they are in the US.
Cal

Thank you for the suggestion, but that's not quite what I'm after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several Searcys listed on the first several pages in the classified section of this site.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
There are several Searcys listed on the first several pages in the classified section of this site.

465H&H

Yes but getting them into Canada is a bit of a pain

Posts: 541 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:
quote:

465H&H

Yes but getting them into Canada is a bit of a pain

And costly. Indeed, that is the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

465H&H

Really? I only see one in .470, and it's a Deluxe Grade (so the price is a bit higher than I'm hoping for).

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
http://www.africahunting.com/t...n-450-3-25-ne.24461/

Might still be around

Thank you, but not the caliber or make I'm looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get a new field grade from Butch Searcy.
No problem in getting it in to Canada-Butch will help you with that-very simple.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume you have already checked out the Tradex sight? Last I visited he had a fair selection of doubles on there, and it is likely as close to home for you as you will find.
I know you stated .470, but in case it interests you, Clay at Prophet River Firearms has a Butch Searcy in .500 on consignment, complete with dies, brass, et all for 10,500 cdn. Looks in decent shape! I'm not sure how it works with consignment guns as far as GST, but you might find some savings there. Also, it has been sitting idle there (teasing me) for at least six months, so the seller may be some motivated to move if you make a reasonable offer.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
No problem in getting it in to Canada-Butch will help you with that-very simple.

Thank you for the suggestion. As nice as that would be, I'm afraid that the currency exchange alone would put such a piece at over $20K, and that's out of my range, I'm afraid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy j:
I assume you have already checked out the Tradex sight? Last I visited he had a fair selection of doubles on there, and it is likely as close to home for you as you will find.
I know you stated .470, but in case it interests you, Clay at Prophet River Firearms has a Butch Searcy in .500 on consignment, complete with dies, brass, et all for 10,500 cdn. Looks in decent shape! I'm not sure how it works with consignment guns as far as GST, but you might find some savings there. Also, it has been sitting idle there (teasing me) for at least six months, so the seller may be some motivated to move if you make a reasonable offer.

Pleased to make the acquaintance of a fellow Canuck!

Yes, I'm familiar with Tradex. Their prices for VC and Chapuis are certainly decent, but I was hoping to find a better value and save the sales tax (13% here in Ontario) in the second-hand market.

I do see that .500 NE. It does look very nice, but I'm sorta set on .470. And I'm not sure what "left handed triggers" means. I too don't know about HST for consignments.

Thanks for the suggestions.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ontario Nimrod:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy j:

Pleased to make the acquaintance of a fellow Canuck!

Yes, I'm familiar with Tradex. Their prices for VC and Chapuis are certainly decent, but I was hoping to find a better value and save the sales tax (13% here in Ontario) in the second-hand market.

I do see that .500 NE. It does look very nice, but I'm sorta set on .470. And I'm not sure what "left handed triggers" means. I too don't know about HST for consignments.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm sure the more experienced guys here can chime in if I'm correct, but the left handed triggers are configured to have the right barrel trigger (front one) positioned to the left side, not the right side, of the trigger assembly. Butch might be able to work a swap for you.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ontario Nimrod:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Thank you for the suggestion. As nice as that would be, I'm afraid that the currency exchange alone would put such a piece at over $20K, and that's out of my range, I'm afraid.

I think I paid near 8500 for mine.I don't know what he is asking today.If you can get it at a good price the exchange rate may not be that bad.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep watching CDN Gunnutz, once in a while something comes up. Occasionally Prophet River has used ones, and Clay may know of some as well. Wolverine in Manitoba, Epps, Martini, Calgary Shooting Ctr all stock double rifles, or can get what you want. If you are worried about US stuff, talk to Clay at Prophet River, he will walk you thru it, and it isn't that expensive, or that much hassle at all. Never asked John @ Wolverine about it, but, I expect he'd do it as well, and he is good to deal with also. Martini is a given on importing.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
Keep watching CDN Gunnutz, once in a while something comes up. Occasionally Prophet River has used ones, and Clay may know of some as well. Wolverine in Manitoba, Epps, Martini, Calgary Shooting Ctr all stock double rifles, or can get what you want. If you are worried about US stuff, talk to Clay at Prophet River, he will walk you thru it, and it isn't that expensive, or that much hassle at all. Never asked John @ Wolverine about it, but, I expect he'd do it as well, and he is good to deal with also. Martini is a given on importing.

Thank you. I didn't think of Gun Nutz or Calgary Shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't be scared to call those guys, they may well know of guns that are around, but not advertised anywhere. Look way back in Gunnutz, as much as a year and further. The guns may never have sold, or the owner may know of someone else. There are a lot more around, than you might think.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
Don't be scared to call those guys, they may well know of guns that are around, but not advertised anywhere. Look way back in Gunnutz, as much as a year and further. The guns may never have sold, or the owner may know of someone else. There are a lot more around, than you might think.

Good advice. Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As sjr recommended contact Ralf Martini. He is the Canadian HEYM double rifle dealer.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to check out a couple of used DRs yesterday. The first was a Merkel 140AE in .470 (my calibre of choice). It felt heavy overall, but seemed to point fairly well for me. The other was a VC Azur Safari in .500NE. Although I assume they both weighed about the same, the balance of the VC was definitely very different. It seemed more back-heavy than the Merkel and, as a result, the muzzle seemed to "float" a bit. Is this what you want, or is the Merkel's handling more desirable? The VC was also pointing naturally high for me, which I assume means that the comb was too high?? They were both a bit short for me, but I assume lengthening the LOP on a DR is not a big deal. Thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ON, some folks put recoil reducers (weight) in the buttstock of a double rifle to reduce recoil, which would make sense on a 500 NE. Taking it out would restore the balance. I would take the Verney Carron over the Merkel...they're a higher-grade of build. Plus, I love the 500 NE :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just follow Biebs' ads. He regularly sheds them. The grass is always greener.....

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just follow Biebs' ads. He regularly sheds them. The grass is always greener.....

Doubles? Not so much :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Searcys guns, they always shoot real well, in fact amazingly well on everyone Ive owned..and that is of primary importance to me as Boddingtons "minute of grapefruit" will not shoot a mad dagga boy in the eyeball at 20 yards..

For investment purposes a high dollar English double is like money in the bank, keep it five years and double or triple my money has been my experience...BUT not sure that is the case today as I see double prices in a tail spin going down hill over the last year..

Why is this, My guess is its because Tanzania and Northern province Governments of Africa keep going up on Safari prices and the economy world wide is going down, also the ISIS or Islamic terrorist population in Africa is growing leaps and bounds and tourism is not flourishing overseas as it did in the 1980s to about early 1920s..Africa has always been a hotspot for revolution and bloodshed. The locals are easily lead down the yellow brick road, its their nature going back ions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote