Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500/416 Dies and cases....
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone give me advice on this.... Are there 500/416 dies available , can 500/416 be formed from 470 or 500N and If so where would I find the necessary dies.

Posts: 18 | Location: RSA | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You should be able to easily form it from either piece of brass. The 470 would be 1 less step I'd think. Call Dave at CH4D about this and dies.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady dies. Works fine for me. Check with Huntington for brass. I use BELL brass.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million for the info, it solves a huge issue for me hear in south Africa....

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPs, sorry! I did not realize you were in RSA!
Let me know if you need any help in getting these.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dave from CH4D has already sent me all the info I need and has the dies and all necessary equipment.... Sold My 9.3x74r to buy a larger double... think 500/416 will do the trick for me.. Also shoot a 416 rigby hence the choice for a double.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have dies, ammo and cases in harare looking for a home. If you get the rifle drop me a PM. I'll be in Jo'berg briefy just after Christmas (for my sins). Oh- and I loved the cartridge BTW, just 'upgraded' to something more my style- a .375 FL instead especially as I do very little buffalo hunting these days- almost only lion and ele.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS dies and both BeLL and Jamison brass. The .500/.416 is basically just a necked down .470 NE case so forming them from .470 brass should be easy but not really necessary.

Incidentally, it is the BEST of all the double rifle calibers! coffee

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good day Dave .... I have looked at all the Doubles and tend to agree with you ..... have compared 9,3 375 , 500/416 , 470 and 500n the 9.3 is way to low ... the 375, 500/416 and 470 are verry close in energy ... I think penatration on the 500/416 should be better .. the recoil on this is a lot less than the 470 ... you get a masive Jump in energy when you go to the 500 but also a huge jump in recoil ... personally I think I have made the correct choice..... I also have a 416 Rigby and it is awsome.... Im not a big guy so recoil is an issue also the 500 leaves me looking for a head ache pill after 4 shots.....Im not one for un-necessary pain...yep Im a wimp...