New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valmet 12x12, 30-06x30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Okay, it's not a V-C or Searcy but I might be able to trade into a mid- 80s set and have my first double rifle. Gotta start somewhere. Does anyone have any experience with these or similar? I figure they have to be better then the current flock of Remington/CZ and other budget guns. I'm not headed after dangerous game any time soon and I'm a big fan of the 30-06. Thanks

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I shot one of these in 308/308 for years - The older ones are kind of fugley with that huge gap between the barrels - The newer batch that Russ Gould is importing are much nicer (in terms of fit and finish). They have a rib that solves the ugly gap issue and are still able to be regulated to your load via a turn-screw.

The 308 I shot would shoot about an inch at 100 yds with almost every load I shot through it - I used it for black bear, elk, deer and hogs - Fantastic gun. I traded it towards a Merkel 9.3x74r that I like equally well. Been thinking lately about buying another one...

There's no reason why you couldn't trade into the 30-06 and then buy a set of 9.3 barrels later on - Russ is an honest guy and does a fair amount of trading, give him a call, he might work a deal with you.

He can be reached at doublegunhq.com.

Cheers pal...

JDA-CO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a !2x12 & 9.3x74-9.3x74 two barrel.. Set that has killed every thing from snipe to elk. Since I GOT THE SXS it stays in the safe. The finar tika are real nice. They have a rubber midrib that cleans up the lines. I could be talked out of it if you are realy interested.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro